• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boris Johnson comments on the burka niqab

Shad

Veteran Member
Exactly!
I don't often see women who are required to cover their entire bodies in Kent, England, but if they want to do this of free-will then I would support their choices, but where other folks are banned from wearing hats, caps, helmets, hoods etc then I cannot support exceptions to such policies.

Government makes all sorts of exceptions of religion even when it support segregation of the sexes which conflict with norms of the host society. Maybe making a religion about baseball caps or the team on it will show how ridiculous these exceptions are at times.

I personally don't think that women wearing burkhas look like letter boxes, and I personally wouldn't reach for a hold-up button if one called to my home, but Boris was just doing 'a Boris' I'm afraid. He does come up with some strange ideas, and his humour does go wrong, but if he's dumped over this then the Blues are total buffoons imo. :)

He said something that wasn't PC. That is enough for the left. Fact is these women do look odd.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Government makes all sorts of exceptions of religion even when it support segregation of the sexes which conflict with norms of the host society. Maybe making a religion about baseball caps or the team on it will show how ridiculous it these exceptions are at times.
I don't mind exceptions such as Sikhs wearing turbans rather than crash helmets when on motor-bikes, or cross pendants, or shawls, etc........ but burkhas must surely prickle and irritate any equal rights supporter due to such obvious subjugation of women in a country with an Equal Rights Act? Burkha wearers may well insist that they love to wear them, but is this possibly indicative of a subdued sex within a particular group?

He said something that wasn't PC.
No change there then. That's our Boris! :D

That is enough for the left.
Whoa! Don't get ahead of yerself! :D
It's the Right that's gunning for 'im......

Shad

Veteran Member
I don't mind exceptions such as Sikhs wearing turbans rather than crash helmets when on motor-bikes, or cross pendants, or shawls, etc........ but burkhas must surely prickle and irritate any equal rights supporter due to such obvious subjugation of women in a country with an Equal Rights Act? Burkha wearers may well insist that they love to wear them, but is this possibly indicative of a subdued sex within a particular group?

It's her choice to be oppressed!

Whoa! Don't get ahead of yerself! :D
It's the Right that's gunning for 'im......

Sorry I projected the political spectrum here on to the UK. Even the right is left-leaning from that view.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
27a8b88a6b956f0d7e386a2e8f770fa41698.jpg

Notanumber

A Free Man
Tell MAMA are claiming that Jeremy Corbyn MP, Theresa May MP, Vince Cable MP, Brandon Lewis, Ian Lavery are backing a petition to
Stop politicians fuelling hate! Launch an Independent Inquiry into Islamophobia in Major Political Parties

In the last few weeks hate crime monitoring group Tell MAMA has reported a spike in anti-Muslim hate directly linking them to comments made by Boris Johnson comparing Muslim women to “letter boxes” and “bank robbers.”

It seems the British population has been funding this discredited group.

Muslim hate monitor to lose backing

GoodbyeDave

You said "Surely the fact that they veil themselves indicates that they want to cut themselves off from British society, so would they care what any member of that society says about them." The majority of niqab wearing Muslim women that I know are women that take part in British society, they are law abiding citizens, they work, volunteer, study.
How can you be part of society if people can't look you in the face? In some cases, you can't even communicate: i.e. no lip-reading is possible by the deaf. If you wish to regard yourself as part of British society, why adopt a custom which the majority find offensive?

Incidentally, here's the view of a Saudi woman living in Britain:
Why I Hate the Burqa -- And Yes, I Wear One | HuffPost