• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boredom - Science and Personal Experience

Slapstick

Boredom is something everyone experiences, however very little scientific research has been devoted to exploring some of its causes or why people experience it. Based on personal experience, I was bored and decided to play a video a game this past week. It was very captivating and kept my interest for a few days. Today, however, I was playing it, and was suddenly overwhelmed with an extreme sense boredom, to the point that I didn’t want to do anything else and had absolutely no desires or interests at all to do anything. To elaborate, I was so bored, that while I was outside smoking, I burnt a leaf off of a dried basil plant, and then burnt the stem and it made me psychoanalyze (think deeply about) the plant I was burning. I began to think about all of the tiny, little, remaining cells that may be left on it as the tip of the stem turned to ashes. Prior to this, I ate a grape and was thinking about it as being a living organism and eating a mouthful of cells, with all of its cells (and nutrients) merging with mine. Which is way off topic from boredom, but very much related. It led me to explore and think about things, not only differently, but also want to further investigate the things I was thinking about: such as people getting their nutrients from plants or other living organisms and those organisms, such as plants, getting their nutrients from soil, water, the atmosphere and sunlight.

After roughly 30 minutes of pure boredom I decided to do some research. Of course the topic of interest at the time was boredom. I have tried to doing some random Google searches on the topic before, but the information is usually very limited. So I decided view some databases with peer-reviewed and other related articles. Come to find out, there is very little research devoted to this topic and it is something everyone experiences. It does get some attention in psychology, and behavioral sciences, maybe other areas that I am currently unaware of like neuroscience. However some of the articles I read were related to psychology. One of the papers I read was “On the Function of Boredom” by Shane Bench and Heather Lench who argue that boredom is an emotion, like others (i.e. happiness, sadness, anger and anxiety) that is experienced during the pursuit of new or alternative goals. I tend to think it can lead to alternative interests as well. If someone for example gets bored with whatever they are doing then they might find something else to do, possibly to fill an emotional void or gap. Maybe it is due to being unhappy or lack of interest, and while there is no set definition of boredom, one the paper uses from “The Unengaged Mind: Defining Boredom in terms of attention - the aversive experience of wanting, but being unable, to engage in satisfying activity.” I was no longer satisfied with the video game I was playing so decided to find something else to appease my interests that the time.

Some of the things that have been researched are how boredom, which is a trait, can lead to drug or alcohol abuse, gambling, over eating or binge eating, poor grades in school, and even depression (hopelessness). Doctors can find ways to treat depression, determine better diets and exercise, and people can even develop better study habits, but there seems to be no way to treat boredom. And while boredom is a trait that everyone possesses, it is not always bad or negative. It can even cause musicians to write songs, or people to write literature or discover new things and interests. It can spark a creative passion and imagination (or mind) by brainstorming. It can also help people relax and not be as emotionally tense. To momentarily give up on everything and start over with something new.

My final conclusion: I think its time to quit playing video games that lack progression with limited and repetitive game play. :p

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Now I'll have to search on Boredom. My first take is that it has something to do with our need for people. I find I tend to get bored more often when I am alone.

Kids tend to get bored when they don't have parental interaction. For example I was busy redoing a room and all my kids did was complain there was nothing to do.

Just plotting my thoughts, now I need to do some research.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Boredom is something everyone experiences, however very little scientific research has been devoted to exploring some of its causes or why people experience it. Based on personal experience, I was bored and decided to play a video a game this past week. It was very captivating and kept my interest for a few days. Today, however, I was playing it, and was suddenly overwhelmed with an extreme sense boredom, to the point that I didn’t want to do anything else and had absolutely no desires or interests at all to do anything. To elaborate, I was so bored, that while I was outside smoking, I burnt a leaf off of a dried basil plant, and then burnt the stem and it made me psychoanalyze (think deeply about) the plant I was burning. I began to think about all of the tiny, little, remaining cells that may be left on it as the tip of the stem turned to ashes. Prior to this, I ate a grape and was thinking about it as being a living organism and eating a mouthful of cells, with all of its cells (and nutrients) merging with mine. Which is way off topic from boredom, but very much related. It led me to explore and think about things, not only differently, but also want to further investigate the things I was thinking about: such as people getting their nutrients from plants or other living organisms and those organisms, such as plants, getting their nutrients from soil, water, the atmosphere and sunlight.

After roughly 30 minutes of pure boredom I decided to do some research. Of course the topic of interest at the time was boredom. I have tried to doing some random Google searches on the topic before, but the information is usually very limited. So I decided view some databases with peer-reviewed and other related articles. Come to find out, there is very little research devoted to this topic and it is something everyone experiences. It does get some attention in psychology, and behavioral sciences, maybe other areas that I am currently unaware of like neuroscience. However some of the articles I read were related to psychology. One of the papers I read was “On the Function of Boredom” by Shane Bench and Heather Lench who argue that boredom is an emotion, like others (i.e. happiness, sadness, anger and anxiety) that is experienced during the pursuit of new or alternative goals. I tend to think it can lead to alternative interests as well. If someone for example gets bored with whatever they are doing then they might find something else to do, possibly to fill an emotional void or gap. Maybe it is due to being unhappy or lack of interest, and while there is no set definition of boredom, one the paper uses from “The Unengaged Mind: Defining Boredom in terms of attention - the aversive experience of wanting, but being unable, to engage in satisfying activity.” I was no longer satisfied with the video game I was playing so decided to find something else to appease my interests that the time.

Some of the things that have been researched are how boredom, which is a trait, can lead to drug or alcohol abuse, gambling, over eating or binge eating, poor grades in school, and even depression (hopelessness). Doctors can find ways to treat depression, determine better diets and exercise, and people can even develop better study habits, but there seems to be no way to treat boredom. And while boredom is a trait that everyone possesses, it is not always bad or negative. It can even cause musicians to write songs, or people to write literature or discover new things and interests. It can spark a creative passion and imagination (or mind) by brainstorming. It can also help people relax and not be as emotionally tense. To momentarily give up on everything and start over with something new.

My final conclusion: I think its time to quit playing video games that lack progression with limited and repetitive game play. :p
Find yourself a better video game that won't bore you so quickly! :p

Boredom is the result of a lack of sensory stimuli.

We have all been conditioned for amusement from birth. When nothing external can stimulate us, we focus internally, hoping to get some relief from it.

Even after experiencing Nirvana, one can still be bored when they haven't managed to translate that state from 'meditative awareness' into 'living awareness' (tell me all about it). lol

...and one can only watch their whole Stargate: SG1 DVD collection so many times...so many times...

I know what the answer is and it is staring me in the face - go out and do some charity work...help others less fortunate...

I just need to get up off my bum and go do it.

Boredom is when you know you should be doing something better with your life, but can't be bothered because it requires too much effort.

There we go, boredom rationally explained.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think memory plays a significant role in boredom. It seems, with few exceptions, that we can get bored with just about anything we've experienced often enough. Without memory, we'd most likely be very seldom, if ever, bored.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
According to this Scientist still do not know much about boredom

Everyone knows what boredom feels like, but even after hundreds of years of identifying boredom as a plague upon life, no scientific consensus exists of what exactly it is [source: Martin et al]

and

How can we combat this elusive pest? A study found that people who reported feelings of boredom more frequently tried to alleviate it with brief distractions including work breaks or doing laundry. But these boredom Band-Aids soon failed [source: Martin et al]. On the other hand, people who meditated, engaged with other people or accepted the boredom were more successful.

HowStuffWorks "What is boredom?"