• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books or films that you didn't finish reading/watching

Deidre

Omg really? Oscar Wilde is my bae and I can’t think of anything that could be worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen adaption. (Dorian is a character in the film.) But I largely give it a pass because I used to watch it with my dad so nostalgia.
I’m curious now.
Yea, it was disappointing ...to me, anyway. I couldn't finish it. I barely got 30 minutes into it, honestly. It just felt like they read the cliff notes and added a bunch of their own Hollywood stuff to it. I felt bad for Oscar Wilde that night. :sleepy:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yea, it was disappointing ...to me, anyway. I couldn't finish it. I barely got 30 minutes into it, honestly. It just felt like they read the cliff notes and added a bunch of their own Hollywood stuff to it. I felt bad for Oscar Wilde that night. :sleepy:
Oh that’s a shame. I really dig Picture. It’s not my favourite of Wilde’s work but Hollywood can’t seem to leave it alone. :(

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
if you had to narrow it down to one thing, what causes you to not want to finish a book? Boring writing style? The author never got to the point? I agree with you about Inferno, really anything Dan Brown wrote falls into the ''unfinished'' category for me. lol

A few reasons, yawn worthy writing style being the most predominant. To a lesser extent, i have dyslexia and was unable to read until age 14, meaning i missed out on a lot of basic English education. So if i need to stop reading to lookup the meaning of too many obscure words it becomes tedious, educational but tedious. Then sometimes i just cannot get onto the story

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A few reasons, yawn worthy writing style being the most predominant. To a lesser extent, i have dyslexia and was unable to read until age 14, meaning i missed out on a lot of basic English education. So if i need to stop reading to lookup the meaning of too many obscure words it becomes tedious, educational but tedious. Then sometimes i just cannot get onto the story
Makes me glad I don't have dyslexia.
Got enuf issues without that.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, interesting. What caused you to give up on it?
Charlotte's style annoyed me, but mostly it was Jane Eyre herself. I really love Victorian Literature, but this book I just couldn't. Jane came off as such a Mary Sue.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've tried and failed to watch 2001 all the way through four times. I got about an hour in the last time...and it will be the last time.

I've abandoned a few books over the years but Michael Chrichton's Prey I chucked with about 30 pages left. It started so well and then went downhill steadily til I was sick of it (scunnered, as we say round here).

I gave up on Bonfire of the Vanities, Middlemarch (though I have a friend who's a literature wiz who tells me I should go back to it so I will), every Shakepeare play I've tried except Romeo and Juliet, Catcher in the Rye, The Pale King, and I didn't finish Catch-22 the first three times I tried but then I did and I loved it.