• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books on Shia Islam and Sufism?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hi, all.

I'm wanting to learn more about Shia Islam and Sufis, including their theology, philosophy, history and poems. I have the Heart of Islam and the Study Qur'an from the great Iranian Sufi thinker, Nasr. What else do you recommend? Of course there's Rumi for poetry. What collections of his poems are good to start with?

Thanks.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suspect the guy you want to get a hold of is William C. Chittick. Just about everyone acknowledges him as a leading scholar in the field of Sufism studies. Some even call him THE leading scholar. He has studied Sufism both as a scholar and a practitioner. As a bonus, he has also written extensively on Sh'ism.

His book, "Sufism: A short Introduction" is recommended by a whole lot more people than just me.

Good luck.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Rumi is certainly a good source to start investigating Sufism. I don't have any favorites to recommend Another is Hafiz. I particularly like not a direct translation but "I Heard God Laughing" which is a "rendering" of Hafiz or perhaps you could say inspired by Hafiz.

For learning something of the history of Sufism, I originally read Idres Shah "The Sufis" which I found illuminating.

There are also many different lineages of Sufism. One is the Naqshbandi that use a Sunni frame-of-reference. The Chisti order present in India comes the more recent Hazrat Inayat Khan whose time in the West spawned a very different set of groups that trace to his lineage, some using Islamic formations and some not. If you want to be boggled look at this list of various groups under the very broad umbrella of Sufism List of Sufi orders - Wikipedia

For now, I'll leave you with a favorite Rumi quote. May God guide you to your heart's true desire

"In Silence"

A guide has entered this life in silence.
His message is only heard in silence.

Take a sip of his precious wine
and lose yourself.
Don't insult the greatness of his love,
for he helps all those who suffer, in silence.

Polish the mirror between the breaths.
Go with him beyond words.
He knows your every deed.
He is the one who moves the wheel of heaven,
in silence.

Every thought is buried in your heart;
He will reveal them one by one, in silence.

Turn each of your thoughts into a bird
and let them fly to the other world.
One is an owl, one is a falcon, one is a crow.
Each one is different from the others
but they are all the same in silence.

To see the Moon that cannot be seen
turn your eyes inward and look at yourself,
in silence.

In this world and the next,
don't talk about this and that;
Let him show you everything,
shining as one . . .
in silence.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One more thing occurred to me after posting the last comment ;)

Idres Shah and others have noted that Sufism is not necessarily Islamic and in fact predated Islam although it's true that much recent history has caused many to assume it's a branch of Islam.

This prayer of the Chisti Sufi Hazrat Inayat Khan illustrates this:

Most gracious Lord, Master, Messiah,
And Saviour of Humanity,
We greet Thee with all humility.
Thou art the first cause and the last effect,
The Divine Light and the Spirit of Guidance,
Alpha and Omega.
Thy light is in all forms,
Thy love in all beings,
In a loving mother, in a kind father,
In an innocent child, in a helpful friend,
In an inspiring teacher.
Allow us to recognize Thee
In all Thy holy names and forms;
As Rama, as Krishna, as Shiva, as Buddha;
Let us know Thee as Abraham, as Solomon, as Zarathustra, as Moses, as Jesus, as Mohammed,
And in many other names and forms,
Known and unknown to the world.
We adore Thy past;
Thy presence deeply enlighteneth our beings,
And we look for Thy blessings in the future.
O Messenger, Christ, Nabi, the Rasul of God,
Thou whose heart constantly reacheth upward,
Thou comest on earth with a message,
As a dove from above when dharma decayeth
And speaketh the word that is put into Thy mouth
As the light filleth the crescent moon.
Let the star of the Divine Light shining in Thy heart
Be reflected in the hearts of Thy devotees.
May the Message of God reach far and wide,
Illuminating and making the whole humanity
As one single brotherhood in the fatherhood of God.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
Hi, all.

I'm wanting to learn more about Shia Islam and Sufis, including their theology, philosophy, history and poems. I have the Heart of Islam and the Study Qur'an from the great Iranian Sufi thinker, Nasr. What else do you recommend? Of course there's Rumi for poetry. What collections of his poems are good to start with?

Thanks.

The problem is that Shiite scholars misinterpret the original meanings of the Qur'an
That is, you live a fictional epic and make you deviate from the correct understanding of the Koran and the nature of the truth upon which the Islamic faith

I wish you success on your journey and reach safety :)