• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

books about mathematics

Pro Gamer

I have seen that in asia and non english speaking european countries people generally use manipulations in order to solve math unlike english speakers. for example how would you solve x+1/x=5 so find the value of x^2+1/x^2? americans would usually try to solve for x then put the value in the expression but we simply square the both sides of the first equation then subtract 2 from both sides and it will give us the value of x^2+1/x^2. i wonder if there are english books which mention such manipulations and tricks

Jedster

I have seen that in asia and non english speaking european countries people generally use manipulations in order to solve math unlike english speakers. for example how would you solve x+1/x=5 so find the value of x^2+1/x^2? americans would usually try to solve for x then put the value in the expression but we simply square the both sides of the first equation then subtract 2 from both sides and it will give us the value of x^2+1/x^2. i wonder if there are english books which mention such manipulations and tricks
I received my maths education in England and would have done as the emboldened.
There is no reason to solve for x as the question didn't ask that.

Jedster

i know but those manipulations are not common on internet(mainly because internet is ruled by america) so all we get on internet are american nonsense methods of math. are you on A level or university?
I have a maths degree. I was taught quadratics for O-level (mid 1960s).
I had great teachers.
Thanks for the memories your post invoked.:)

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
This is absolutely standard algebra. I have no idea why you think it's confined to the non-English spearing world. I don't see how anybody in the world could take on further education (let alone university level) in anything like mathematics, science, or engineering without this level of basic understanding.

ETA: Sorry but I can't give you any books. It's a long time since I learned this level, and, even if I could remember the textbooks, they may well not be available now.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I have seen that in asia and non english speaking european countries people generally use manipulations in order to solve math unlike english speakers. for example how would you solve x+1/x=5 so find the value of x^2+1/x^2? americans would usually try to solve for x then put the value in the expression but we simply square the both sides of the first equation then subtract 2 from both sides and it will give us the value of x^2+1/x^2.
I guess I'm a dummy, but will it?

EDIT:
Misread that as (x+1)/x = 5. Makes more sense now I can read it properly. As you were

Last edited:

Pro Gamer

This is absolutely standard algebra. I have no idea why you think it's confined to the non-English spearing world. I don't see how anybody in the world could take on further education (let alone university level) in anything like mathematics, science, or engineering without this level of basic understanding.

ETA: Sorry but I can't give you any books. It's a long time since I learned this level, and, even if I could remember the textbooks, they may well not be available now.
i can show you a lot more advanced manipulations but it's just about seeing patterns. if 4x+1/3x=8 then find the value of 3x+1/4x and here all you need to do is multiply both sides by 3/4 and you will get the answer. this is even basic not even intermediate or advanced. intermediate level algebraic manipulations would be something like this

Attachments

• Q1-3.png
    Q1-3.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 53

Shaul

Premium Member
As a teacher I saw that sort of thing taught here in America. I have also seen elementary students doing calculus here too. It just depends on the quality of the school.

Shaul

Premium Member
CALCULUS IN ELEMENTARY?
Yes, calculus in elementary. While not common it was not rare either. The school was self paced and used advanced in-house developed pedagogy. It was a charter school which was open to everyone free of charge. Most of the students were from lower socio-economic homes. Granted, it was an excellent school.

Pro Gamer

Yes, calculus in elementary. While not common it was not rare either. The school was self paced and used advanced in-house developed pedagogy. It was a charter school which was open to everyone free of charge. Most of the students were from lower socio-economic homes. Granted, it was an excellent school.
education in 1980s was tougher than present day