• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books about homosexuals in religious orders and seminaries

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/0930044630/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence by Rosemary Curb, Nancy Manahan

Found an interesting used paperback from 1988, a collection of 45 interviews / biographies of nuns or former nuns who identify as lesbians. Most of them state that living with people of the same sex in [Catholic] orders provides or provided them with sort of a safe haven (although the orders warned the nuns against so-called "special friendships").

A while ago I read a book with a similar topic which I think is only available in German. It‘s title is "The 11th commandment. Thou shalt not talk about it. Dark truths about the seminary"

Das 11. Gebot: Du sollst nicht darüber sprechen: Dunkle Wahrheiten über das Priesterseminar by Daniel Bühling

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CU318U6/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0

It is sort of an autobiography in which the author describes his experiences in a seminary as a candidate for priesthood in a struggle between his homosexuality and the requirements of the Church. (He finally chose living with a man and working as a freelance minister). He writes that in seminaries, a certain climate of "friendliness between men" is present and that "you can be gay" as long as you don‘t openly declare it. Openly declared homosexuality makes a candidate unsuitable for priesthood. He estimates that according to his experiences, about 20% of all candidates for priesthood are closet gays.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/0930044630/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Found an interesting used paperback from 1988, a collection of 45 interviews / biographies of nuns or former nuns who identify as lesbians. Most of them state that living with people of the same sex in [Catholic] orders provides or provided them with sort of a safe haven (although the orders warned the nuns against so-called "special friendships").

A while ago I read a book with a similar topic which I think is only available in German. It‘s title is "The 11th commandment. Thou shalt not talk about it. Dark truths about the seminary"

Das 11. Gebot: Du sollst nicht darüber sprechen: Dunkle Wahrheiten über das Priesterseminar by Daniel Bühling

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CU318U6/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0

It is sort of an autobiography in which the author describes his experiences in a seminary as a candidate for priesthood in a struggle between his homosexuality and the requirements of the Church. (He finally chose living with a man and working as a freelance minister). He writes that in seminaries, a certain climate of "friendliness between men" is present and that "you can be gay" as long as you don‘t openly declare it. Openly declared homosexuality makes a candidate unsuitable for priesthood. He estimates that according to his experiences, about 20% of all candidates for priesthood are closet gays.

That's sad. I read that in priest requirements that you can't identify as homosexual. Which makes it odd that identifying has such a harsh I guess bad reputation in the church. Almost as if they don't mind gay people as long as they don't expose who they are. I know as a priest god is more important, but at the same time if one's identity is in part one's sexuality, which is a beautiful thing regardless who the person is attracted to, I don't see a problem with identifying as opposed to having same-sex sex which, by in comparison are totally different points of view-one reason is the latter has nothing to do with being gay.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I recently read In the Closet of the Vatican by Frédéric Martel, a French journalist who has covered the Vatican for many years. Homosexuality is rampant among the priests there. Interestingly, the author also documents an ironic trend: the more vocally homophobic a priest is, the more likely it is that he is in the closet. The priests who don't talk about it, or are even openly in support of homosexuality, are almost all straight guys.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I recently read In the Closet of the Vatican by Frédéric Martel, a French journalist who has covered the Vatican for many years. Homosexuality is rampant among the priests there. Interestingly, the author also documents an ironic trend: the more vocally homophobic a priest is, the more likely it is that he is in the closet. The priests who don't talk about it, or are even openly in support of homosexuality, are almost all straight guys.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Never heard about this book before but it seems to be an interesting read, too.

Last edited: