1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books about demons: Got recommendations?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by Darkion, Jan 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Darkion

Darkion New Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Religion:
    Theistic Satanism
    I am interested in Satan and demons. As of now, I have got the following books about demons:
    • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology (Rosemary Ellen Guiley & John Zaffis)
    • The Demonologist (Gerald Brittle)
    • Demon Haunted: True Stories from the John Zaffis Vault (Rosemary Ellen Guiley & John Zaffis)
    Can you recommend books about demons that are good? Books about demonology or demonic possession for example? I researched it a bit, and what demons do according to Catholic doctrine. There's infestation, obsession, oppression, possession, subjugation, integration, perfect possession and familiarization.

I am also interested in what demons generally like and dislike, how you can make communication comfortable for them and build a loving relationship with them.

The perspectives on demons I'm most interested in are of the following traditions:
    • Theistic Satanism
    • Demonolatry
    • Christiantity
    • Parapsychology
    • Esotericism / New Age
    • Spirituality in general
    But please post any recommendations you like!

Lastly, I've got two questions:
    1. Is there a hubris / blasphemy demon that drinks blood in any religion / mythology of the world?
    2. Is there a demon that likes the taste of mint?
    These questions are connected to my personal beliefs / experiences.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,211
    Religion:
    Hindu
    I'm not much into demons, so I can't answer your questions, but Lesser Key of Solomon comes to mind.

3. PearlSeeker

PearlSeeker Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    Religion:
    Christian
    Books by Gabriele Amorth.

4. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +425
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Bible.
    The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

• Like Like x 1
  5. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,723
    Religion:
    Druidry
    What I usually do when researching a subject is consult every single source available to me that I have time to, regardless of whether or not someone considers it "good." It's an academic research style, admittedly, which isn't for everyone - but I've found that gives me a solid, multi-perspective overview that's very useful when different sources are weighed in proper context. Starting with a public library best since collections there are a bit more accessible and if you'er in a decently-sized city it will have at least something on the topic. From there, university libraries are going to give you a far larger and more comprehensive collection. Your reading list will explode into the thousands for a topic like this, and working with the subject librarian for those collections wouldn't be a bad idea.

This sort of research is no substitute for your own personal experience, which I wager is about as important to Theistic Satanism as it is to the various forms of Contemporary Paganism. A lot of working directly with the gods (or demons, if one prefers) is trusting oneself to navigate that territory and be discerning. That sort of self-trust comes with experience and good grounding.

Studying demonology is not something I've done, but just doing a quick search at my university got me to this list up on Goodreads: Demonology Book Collection (54 books)