• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Booker quotes this Old Testament Bible verse to defend LGBTQ rights

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Those on the right should note that I have no problem citing Fox when there's a non-biased news article such as this one:

Booker quotes this Old Testament Bible verse to defend LGBTQ rights

Citing Micah 6:8, Booker made his defense after a UCLA student, who attended an all-girls Catholic high school in N.J., said her school routinely rejected requests for an LGBTQ+ club.
"It said in Micah, 'What do you want from your Lord, but what is it you want from your people?'" he said. "Which is to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly -- walk humbly -- and, so for me, I cannot allow, as a leader, that people are going to use religion as a justification for discrimination."
He added, "I can respect your religious views but also protect people from discrimination."

Skwim

Veteran Member

Although it might be helpful to cherry pick the Bible in order to get one's point across to the ignorant or those who buy into such cherry picking, it shouldn't be forgotten that other cherries are hanging there as well.

Leviticus 18:22-23
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!
23 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with any animal. This will make you filthy. And women, you must not have sexual relations with any animal. It is against nature!

Leviticus 20:13
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Ezekiel 16:48-50
48 I am the Lord God. As I live, I swear that your sister Sodom and her daughters never did as many bad things as you and your daughters.
49 “Your sister Sodom and her daughters were proud. They had too much to eat and too much time on their hands, and they did not help poor, helpless people. 50 Sodom and her daughters became too proud and began to do terrible things in front of me. So I punished them!

Romans 1:26-27
26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9-10 Surely you know that people who do wrong will not get to enjoy God’s kingdom. Don’t be fooled. These are the people who will not get to enjoy his kingdom: those who sin sexually, those who worship idols, those who commit adultery, men who let other men use them for sex or who have sex with other men, those who steal, those who are greedy, those who drink too much, those who abuse others with insults, and those who cheat.

Galatians 5:16-21
16 So I tell you, live the way the Spirit leads you. Then you will not do the evil things your sinful self wants. 17 The sinful self wants what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit wants what is against the sinful self. They are always fighting against each other, so that you don’t do what you really want to do. 18 But if you let the Spirit lead you, you are not under law. 19 The wrong things the sinful self does are clear: committing sexual sin, being morally bad, doing all kinds of shameful things, 20 worshiping false gods, taking part in witchcraft, hating people, causing trouble, being jealous, angry or selfish, causing people to argue and divide into separate groups, 21 being filled with envy, getting drunk, having wild parties, and doing other things like this. I warn you now as I warned you before: The people who do these things will not have a part in God’s kingdom.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

Although it might be helpful to cherry pick the Bible in order to get one's point across to the ignorant or those who buy into such cherry picking, it shouldn't be forgotten that other cherries are hanging there as well.

Leviticus 18:22-23
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!
23 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with any animal. This will make you filthy. And women, you must not have sexual relations with any animal. It is against nature!

Leviticus 20:13
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Ezekiel 16:48-50
48 I am the Lord God. As I live, I swear that your sister Sodom and her daughters never did as many bad things as you and your daughters.
49 “Your sister Sodom and her daughters were proud. They had too much to eat and too much time on their hands, and they did not help poor, helpless people. 50 Sodom and her daughters became too proud and began to do terrible things in front of me. So I punished them!

Romans 1:26-27
26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9-10 Surely you know that people who do wrong will not get to enjoy God’s kingdom. Don’t be fooled. These are the people who will not get to enjoy his kingdom: those who sin sexually, those who worship idols, those who commit adultery, men who let other men use them for sex or who have sex with other men, those who steal, those who are greedy, those who drink too much, those who abuse others with insults, and those who cheat.

Galatians 5:16-21
16 So I tell you, live the way the Spirit leads you. Then you will not do the evil things your sinful self wants. 17 The sinful self wants what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit wants what is against the sinful self. They are always fighting against each other, so that you don’t do what you really want to do. 18 But if you let the Spirit lead you, you are not under law. 19 The wrong things the sinful self does are clear: committing sexual sin, being morally bad, doing all kinds of shameful things, 20 worshiping false gods, taking part in witchcraft, hating people, causing trouble, being jealous, angry or selfish, causing people to argue and divide into separate groups, 21 being filled with envy, getting drunk, having wild parties, and doing other things like this. I warn you now as I warned you before: The people who do these things will not have a part in God’s kingdom.

I was thinking the exact same thing. On the one hand I understand the heart behind Booker's misinterpretation, on the other hand it is misinterpretation. :|

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Like most politicians, IMO, use anything that can make you look like a guy good in the public limelight.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I was thinking the exact same thing. On the one hand I understand the heart behind Booker's misinterpretation, on the other hand it is misinterpretation. :|
As opposed to what?
Christian abolitionists often misinterpreted the Bible to support their views.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Whose hell? You seem to presume there is an afterlife.
I was reacting to this "Do we have any photos of her? Catholic school girls... lesbians..." not making a statement about the afterlife. How you got to "photos...Catholic school...lesbians" from the story sounded like a gross over-generalization implying that Catholic school girls are lesbians.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't find Abraham Lincoln's view of the Bible to be a misinterpretation as you do.
Perhaps you're not as familiar with the Bible as I am.

The authors of the Bible took slavery for granted. "Ordained by God", as it were.
They also took authoritarian monarchy for granted. And that some people were "Chosen" and the rest were dispensable.

Lincoln was quite the scriptural heretic. Just ask the Southern Confederates. They knew their Bible and hadn't been corrupted by newfangled ways.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Perhaps you're not as familiar with the Bible as I am.

The authors of the Bible took slavery for granted. "Ordained by God", as it were.
They also took authoritarian monarchy for granted. And that some people were "Chosen" and the rest were dispensable.

Lincoln was quite the scriptural heretic. Just ask the Southern Confederates. They knew their Bible and hadn't been corrupted by newfangled ways.
Tom
Of course the South believed in its reading of the Bible. So what. And of course slavery was part of the background of the times. "Ordained by God"? Not in how I see it.

But it's not worthwhile getting into a debate with you. You believe you're right. I believe you're wrong about how to read the Bible. Neither of us will change the other person's mind.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Of course the South believed in its reading of the Bible. So what. And of course slavery was part of the background of the times.
It wasn't just the Confederacy.
It was pretty much Abrahamic religionists everywhere.
People who read the Bible in a simple and accurate way.

Modern people like to retrofit secular humanist values into the Bible. Universal human rights, representative government, capitalism, environmentalism, etc.
But they aren't really there.
Tom

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I was reacting to this "Do we have any photos of her? Catholic school girls... lesbians..." not making a statement about the afterlife. How you got to "photos...Catholic school...lesbians" from the story sounded like a gross over-generalization implying that Catholic school girls are lesbians.

Still waiting for the pics

tytlyf

Not Religious
There is actually a better case to be made that Oprah Winfrey hosts the spirit of the AC, people love her, she controls many media outlets etc.

Obama in 2011:
Irrelevant. You're just angry the religious man was criticizing Trump and his supporters. You don't act biblical.