• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book suggestions for someone who knows nothing about Buddhism?

Hi guys, One of my favorite things to do is to learn about all the worlds different religions. Can anyone recommend any good books on Buddhism for a complete beginner?

Thanks!

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
A comprehensive introduction to Buddhism can be found in Ven. Walpola Rahula's What the Buddha Taught. This book presents a thorough summary of the Buddha's core teachings, which are common to all traditions of Buddhism. I still refer to this book often, even after years of practice. In my experience, it has been by far the most useful book I've read.

von bek

A comprehensive introduction to Buddhism can be found in Ven. Walpola Rahula's What the Buddha Taught. This book presents a thorough summary of the Buddha's core teachings, which are common to all traditions of Buddhism. I still refer to this book often, even after years of practice. In my experience, it has been by far the most useful book I've read.

I second the recommendation of, What the Buddha Taught. I also would recommend, In the Buddha's Words, an anthology of suttas from the Pali canon. The translation work is done by Bhikkhu Bodhi, each section begins with an excellent introduction by Bhikkhu Bodhi where he places the teachings within the wider framework constructed by the Buddha.

I have also been told that, The Foundations of Buddhism, by Rupert Gethin, is an excellent introductory book. I have not read it myself, so I cannot say for sure.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I have recommended this book before: Buddhism For Dummies. No kidding. It's well written, insightful, and gives a great overview of the history and philosophy of Buddhism.

von bek

I should have mentioned this title in my first post; but, I can rectify my mistake by posting this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-P...&sr=1-1&keywords=mindfulness+in+plain+english

This book is about insight (vipassana) meditation, written in a clear manner without much Buddhist jargon. I believe it is the ideal introduction to Buddhist insight meditation for a native English speaker. The author, Bhante Gunaratana, is a great monk whom I have the utmost respect for. He has a book that focuses on calming (samatha) meditation as well, called Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English:

Amazon.com: Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation (9780861715299): Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, John Peddicord: Books

In fact, you really cannot go wrong with any title from Bhante G.

I say, as an introduction to Buddhism, get these three books:
What the Buddha Taught: Revised and Expanded Edition with Texts from Suttas and Dhammapada: Walpola Rahula: 9780802130310: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (Teachings of the Buddha) (9780861714919): Bhikkhu Bodhi, His Holiness the Dalai Lama: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-P...n+plain+english+by+bhante+henepola+gunaratana

Enjoy!!!

von bek

Here is a link to the Rupert Gethin book I mentioned in an earlier post:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Foundatio...tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1400978554&sr=1-1

As I said, I have not personally read the entire book; but, it has been strongly recommended by people I respect. There is a copy of this title in the Buddhist library I volunteer in, I've picked it up a few times and read some small sections. What I read was pretty good. I believe Gethin is a practicing Buddhist; however, the book has a more scholarly feel to it. (Which I often enjoy... as long as the scholarship is good.:D)

Nymphs

I'm not a Buddhist, but Thich Naht Hanh's books have really helped me to understand Buddhism a lot better.

BMay

Please check the major discourses of Buddha as 2 single HTML pages (Good for search) at:
Part 1: bit.ly/1qn3jL8
Part 2: bit.ly/1x0ZSlO
The site is also a good introduction to Vedic, Upanishads, Samkhya, Buddhism and some yoga. Indian philosophy in general. Sources are from unbiased highly knowledgable Brahmans (such as Dasgupta, Radhakrishnan, etc.)

The Digha Nikaya and Majjhima Nikayas or major discourses of the Buddha are the sure way to know the core of Buddhism from the great Teacher himself. It is not that long. Maybe sometimes a bit repetitive (so skim).

Also a survey of the Buddha's teaching (Mahasakuludayi Sutta (Extract) - Advice to the wandering Ascetic Sakuludayi) at:
bit.ly/1mqOJHn

Cheers

Good page are also:
bit.ly/1oe9zW1 & bit.ly/1siYXMt (An index of the discourses above with introductory "teasers".)

Collected notes (in progress of being cleaned up) on these discourses at:
bit.ly/1mpMzb0
Maybe starting here is a good idea (no repetition & it unwraps the major concepts)

And the Buddhacarita (the first book that spoke about Buddhism and Buddha) is also an epic poem on the life of Gautama Buddha by Aśvaghoṣa, composed in the early second century CE. at
bit.ly/1riI3Km

Cheers

Last edited:

BMay

Complete Digha Nikaya and Majjhima Nikayas, as one HTML page (zip to download) at:
bit.ly/1B7ccP2

von bek

I have also been told that, The Foundations of Buddhism, by Rupert Gethin, is an excellent introductory book. I have not read it myself, so I cannot say for sure.

Since writing this, I have picked up the Gethin book for my nook and read it. It is fantastic and I definitely recommend it to others.

Jeremy Taylor

To add to my point above, I would recommend Marco Pallis as a Western introduction to Buddhism that takes it seriously as a traditional religion and, whilst exploring some valid Western parallels, does not reduce it to any modern caricature or deviation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Brad Warner 's Hardcore Zen and Sit Down and Shut Up.

Shunryu Suzuki's. Zen Mind, Beginners Mind goes without saying. ;0)

Dogens Moon in a Dewdrop, and also the Blue Cliff Records.

Interestingly, I find the Handbook for Mankind by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu hard to put down. He had an unusual approach for a Theravadaian Monk of which I appreciated reading.