• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book recommendations?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I've been interested some philosophy for a while. I've read Age of reason by Thomas Paine have recently bought Outlines of Pyrrhonism by Sextus Empiricus and plan on buying some Nietzsche. So I was wondering what other philosophy I should read, fire away :D

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
For Nietzsche, get The Gay Science, and avoid Zarathustra. As for other things...perhaps something on Heraclitus.

9Westy9

Premium Member

Looks interesting. Not sure I'm going to like the ending based on some reviews but it looks worth a read.

The art of war...

Good shout. I haven't read anything from the far east so this might be a good place to start.

For Nietzsche, get The Gay Science, and avoid Zarathustra. As for other things...perhaps something on Heraclitus.

I was thinking of "Beyond good and evil". I'll have a look at The Gay Science aswell though

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For Nietzsche, you might try the Walter Kaufmann translations. "Beyond Good and Evil" is excellent.

Kaufmann also has a book, if it is still available, called "A Critique of Religion and Philosophy" that I consider a serviceable introduction to issues in philosophy and religion.

9Westy9

Premium Member
For Nietzsche, you might try the Walter Kaufmann translations. "Beyond Good and Evil" is excellent.

Kaufmann also has a book, if it is still available, called "A Critique of Religion and Philosophy" that I consider a serviceable introduction to issues in philosophy and religion.

Thanks. These look really good

CynthiaCypher

Looks interesting. Not sure I'm going to like the ending based on some reviews but it looks worth a read.

The book unnerved me when I first read it, that is exactly why I love it because it is a challenge.

Becker offers no easy answers, no quick solutions, you are left in the end with more questions about life than anything else.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here

I second Kaufmann's Critique. It's a really good book and makes you think.

nnmartin

I fancy getting hold of some Nietzsche myself, so will have a look later and report any findings.

I'm reading some Will Durant right now, any views on him?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've been interested some philosophy for a while. I've read Age of reason by Thomas Paine have recently bought Outlines of Pyrrhonism by Sextus Empiricus and plan on buying some Nietzsche. So I was wondering what other philosophy I should read, fire away :D
I enjoy writings from ancient Greeks and Romans.

Marcus Aurelius, Seneca the Younger, and Aristotle, particularly.