• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Reading - Ben-Gurion by Michael Bar-Zohar

jbg

I just finished Ben-Gurion by Michael Bar-Zohar. I never tire of reading books focused around the founding of the modern State of Israel. Indeed, one of the book's disappointments is not exploring how Ben-Gurion unilaterally picked the Jewish State's name when he announced its independence of May 15, 1948. I have often wondered why it was named Israel rather than after Israel's more successful sister kingdom, Judah. Indeed, we call ourselves Jews after the kingdom of Judah.

This book is a miraculous story about a miraculous man. Compared to most authorized biographies it is far from a hagiography. It does not elevate Ben-Gurion in death above what he was in life. Indeed, the description of the Lavon Affair and the beginning of his tragic, though inevitable decline was brutally honest.

A few quibbles. Like most biographies this book spends too much time on the subject's younger days, which were just not that different from other people's younger days. Like books about other prominent statesmen, too much time is spent discussing tawdry extramarital affairs, and the ebb and flow of marriages.

I will not spoil the book for others. The real shame is that most newly independent countries, after WW II, could not have been blessed with a totally incorruptible man of courage and, despite flaws, decency.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for that book review, @jbg. Did the book touch upon Ben-Gurion's liberal views regarding immigration to Israel and Israeli naturalization? I believe that Ben-Gurion, were he alive today, would find himself in opposition to Israel's far-right government in regard to that.

jbg

Thanks for that book review, @jbg. Did the book touch upon Ben-Gurion's liberal views regarding immigration to Israel and Israeli naturalization? I believe that Ben-Gurion, were he alive today, would find himself in opposition to Israel's far-right government in regard to that.
The book discussed his intention to double Israel's population within four years of independence, and that he likely would have supported repatriation of the Falashas from Ethiopia. What he did not discuss was something I am aware of; that the Arabs sought again to curb immigration in the negotiations leading to the Armistice of 1949.

He stated that Ben-Gurion held the views you discussed. He did not say much more.

Last edited: