• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

robrog8999

What the...?!?!?

My apologies!!! I was directing that to robrog and somehow my multiquote (quoting by highlighting text) got all jacked up there! I'll fix that in an edit after this post!

Life is wearisome to the flesh.... not sure how reading sends you to an earlier grave than working 40 hour work weeks..?

I remember when I was young my older brother was sitting on the floor "indian style" (legs crossed). He had his hands on his knees and was just relaxing. My dad came into the room and flipped out "ARE YOU MEDITATING??!?!?!" and he got a beating even though he was pleading for mercy as he was simply relaxing. You see, in the religion of my father, all external sources of, well anything were blasphemous or demonic. No two ways about it. If you weren't getting your koolaid from the local cult leader, then you were drinking the wrong koolaid.

Trusting any one source for anything is foolhardy. I've attended services for many a Christian sect, many an Eastern religion and read up on much of the "dark" arts. You find common themes... those firmly embedded nails as quoted above. Go to any one spot and you find some of the same nails, but they all have their own special painting and fluff all around the nails, and each have unique nails. I believe what Solomon was getting at was that you can spend your entire life searching for some truth when the simple truth of living a good life is all that really matters. He speaks of commandments, but I would be wary of any such commandment in a book used to justify mass murder. Not to say I don't believe there is divinity within the Bible, but I'm not sold on every scripture. As above, could an unconditionally loving God promote one man to own and beat another? A bit contradictory no? Perhaps (again) you're being sold a half-truth wrapped in self serving lies.
The bible is full of error. Sadly, its gone through countless translations and lost many of its original meanings throughout the years. The important thing about the bible is the overall message of it. And we have that. All the smaller and minor things aren't as important as the eternal, redemption principles.

robrog8999

And yeah, I totally agree with you about the bible . although I hold it close to my heart and spend much time reading and studying it. I still understand and recognize that its lost some truths and valuable teachings. And all the translations over time brought about different meanings and because that happened so many times, its become so far from the original truth. Many Christians can't and won't accept that but sadly, its true. Which is why I'm happy that God brought us more scripture. Up to date and went through one simple translation -- to English. So we know that we can count and trust in it
But the overall message of the bible is there.. And its important. We have many of the teachings of Jesus still in tact and its important