• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

Kirran

Premium Member
But yes.. I get what your saying. Morals and treating people with love and kindness will be the most important thing on judgement day. Rather then which branch you are or rather you know of this doctrine or that. The basic idea is to spread the message of Christ and the Atonement.

I see your point. But it wasn't really mine. Mine was more in relation to knowing the truth, knowing God. Constant direct experience is true knowledge, rather than beliefs and ideas.

David1967

Premium Member
Honestly... Its all faith. You just kinda know in your heart. But I get what your saying. They would say the same. But here's the thing...
I don't beleive religion saves. It doesn't matter what church you go to or if you don't have all the the doctrines. It comes down to Christ..if you beleive him to be your savior and accept him as your redeemer and lord.. And live a decent life.. Are a decent person.. Then you will be saved. But why preach these doctrines ? Because why not spread every truth if you feel you know it to be true.
That basically covers all or most of Christianity. As far as Muslims and others who don't accept Jesus as savior but beleive they have truth, that's when you have to call unto God and ask for yourself. It comes down to YOU. and rather you wanna accept Jesus or not. The holy spirit will and does reveal. Denying him is what Satan wants and tries for. And I beleive Muslims and others are ejther mislead, as they never experienced the Gospel or heard of it. Or you have the others who have heard it but deny it.. That's Satan. I beleive they are denying the spirit.
But at the end of the day.. You gotta ask. And I do know that if you do with sinsercity, and listen, you will know.

Now we are getting somewhere. :) Gotta go home now. Check your conversations on your profile. I will reply tomorrow. As Deeje would say, "Gday!" ;)

robrog8999

Yeah, I do it a lot. I have total trust that he's got me on the right path. Each of us is on their path to God, and I am on mine.
That is really awesome !! I'm happy to hear you found peace and God. Keep studying and reading scriptures and praying to God. As you continue to pray and reach out to God, you develop a relationship with Him. An over time, the spirit will direct you and reveal more too you. Keep your mind open and ask for the guidance of the spirit each time you read the bible . its amazing how much you continue growing in Christ.

robrog8999

I see your point. But it wasn't really mine. Mine was more in relation to knowing the truth, knowing God. Constant direct experience is true knowledge, rather than beliefs and ideas.
Yes and the Spirit will direct you and reveal all things . beliefs and ideas are just that... They're faith based. True knowledge is more important and powerful. And that's what the Spirit does. But I promise.. When your baptised the correct way, you have the Spirit with you all the time and its way more powerful.
But not having done so, you still get the gift of the holy spirit.. And if you listen and pay attention to your feelings, you can still experience Him.

Kirran

Premium Member
That is really awesome !! I'm happy to hear you found peace and God. Keep studying and reading scriptures and praying to God. As you continue to pray and reach out to God, you develop a relationship with Him. An over time, the spirit will direct you and reveal more too you. Keep your mind open and ask for the guidance of the spirit each time you read the bible . its amazing how much you continue growing in Christ.

While I've got nothing but respect for Jesus, and am totally aware of Christianity as a road to God, it's not mine!

robrog8999

While I've got nothing but respect for Jesus, and am totally aware of Christianity as a road to God, it's not mine!
And your free to choose that. As God blessed us with agency. And you have that right to choose. And I know that we go through periods of denial along the way. I don't think your in denial though. You are well aware of everything but seem to prefer not to be apart of it . and that's ok. But 10 years from now, you might reach back and decide it is your path. And me, knowing what I know, and believing what I do, I would hope that be the case.
But you seem to be a decent person who lives a decent life.. And that's what truly matters. Were all on our own journey in life and this is designed for that. Its a preparatory stage and were here to learn and grow and part of that involves falling away or choosing other ways.. In the end we grow from that and I think some have to fall away to realiZe how important Jesus really is to them.

Kirran

Premium Member
And your free to choose that. As God blessed us with agency. And you have that right to choose. And I know that we go through periods of denial along the way. I don't think your in denial though. You are well aware of everything but seem to prefer not to be apart of it . and that's ok. But 10 years from now, you might reach back and decide it is your path. And me, knowing what I know, and believing what I do, I would hope that be the case.
But you seem to be a decent person who lives a decent life.. And that's what truly matters. Were all on our own journey in life and this is designed for that. Its a preparatory stage and were here to learn and grow and part of that involves falling away or choosing other ways.. In the end we grow from that and I think some have to fall away to realiZe how important Jesus really is to them.

I get you kinda have think in a certain way given your religious affiliation. But from my perspective, I totally want to be a part of it. I do worship Jesus sometimes, at the religious centre I've become affiliated with there's a Christian service once a week and for the major holidays. And it's great, Jesus is God. But he's just not where I'm centred in my own experience. God isn't limited to one form, to one set of terminology.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Oh no, I don't get offended. If I let people offend me, id be offended all the time.. As being Mormon, you get that often and learn to develop a thick skin and laugh it away. At the end of the day, we all have the same views when it comes to what's important. Christians anyway. But the smaller differences are issues that most other Christians seem to get offended about more then that of Mormons.
Having been a member of RF for nearly 12 years now, I can honestly say that there are some non-Mormons (David1967 is a perfect example) who are truly wonderful examples of what Christians should be like. There are others who are total jerks. You'll figure out who's who fairly quickly.

robrog8999

I get you kinda have think in a certain way given your religious affiliation. But from my perspective, I totally want to be a part of it. I do worship Jesus sometimes, at the religious centre I've become affiliated with there's a Christian service once a week and for the major holidays. And it's great, Jesus is God. But he's just not where I'm centred in my own experience. God isn't limited to one form, to one set of terminology.
Well if you would like to talk more about this you can e-mail me or message me through here anytime and we can talk Jesus and stuff anytime!

robrog8999

Having been a member of RF for nearly 12 years now, I can honestly say that there are some non-Mormons (David1967 is a perfect example) who are truly wonderful examples of what Christians should be like. There are others who are total jerks. You'll figure out who's who fairly quickly.
Oh yeah. You don't have to be Mormon to be a good example. I have tons of non Mormon friends..who are great disciples. Although we disagree on a few aspects, it doesn't change the fact that were all hoping and wanting the same thing inn the end. And we acknowledge there's no one certain way.. As long as you accept Jesus and live with morals and treat people with respect.

David1967

Premium Member

Why thank you Katz. The feeling is mutual. :)

robrog8999

Well it was nice meeting and talking with some of you. If I did offend anyone I am sorry. Honestly. Was never my attention to stir up any kind of trouble or negative feedback. I'm just doing what my personal beliefs encourage me to do. But I must remember not everyone wants to hear it. And I respect that. A few of you seem really cool and I hope to come across you guys again .
I do respect all of your individual beliefs and understand that not everyone is going to hold the same view. And that's what makes us unique and interesting.
And I do wanna make it clear that in no way was I ever saying that my way is the only way.. Because I understand and beleive myself that all can be save regardless of Their church . in fact, my church teaches that almost all are saved.. Besides the super bad ones like murders and stuff who never repent. We even preach that you get another church to accept Jesus in the afterlife . regardless of church. So I hope that's clear.
Anyway.. Thanks again for The responses and I hope you all take care and be safe.. I am heading off this forum now and will not be back to read posts. So in closing, god bless all and have a wonderful night!

NoGuru

Don't be serious. Seriously
Not having internet for a while after a move sucks...

Sounds like there's a lot of silly rules.

You realize that every religious construct has rules, right? Even the Mormon faith has rules. If I convert, can I continue to smoke and drink (both caffeine and alcohol)? Can I get my tattoos finished? Imagine I attend services and light up a blunt, wouldn't someone get outraged because I didn't read the rules?

Sir.. Be careful, you will get YELLED AT FOR THAT!!! Lol.

You are free to believe what you wish. Just remember there are 8 billion others on the planet with equal right to belief, and as of yet no deity has come to set the record straight.

I guess 15 million people are living a life on a lie then.

No, the number is in the billions. 'Because many believe it to be true it is therefore true' This is a logical fallacy.

Is it seriously too much to ask that new people read the rules before they start posting?

I skimmed them... just try not to sell anything on forums or call people names and you're typically good xD

I have no need to find god since I never lost any gods, there are none and never have been any.

Say WHHHAAATT??? You haven't converted yet? For SHAME!!!

/sarcasm.

I can say that I've had an experience or two that leads me to believe without question there is something greater than what we see. Does this mean "poof JESUS!" Well... no of course not. However, to deny it completely would be just as silly as trying to label it for it's something I do not understand nor could I comprehend.

Marcus Aurelius said it best:
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

robrog8999 said:
But when people get offended by it and aren't ready to open their minds... Then that's when you stop investing time until they're ready.
I prefer to spread the word and teach my belief to those who appreciate it.

I'm curious. Ever read the Quran? The Tao Te Chung? What about the Satanic Bible? How many world view points did you use to create these conceptions of something we can't even fathom?

Imagine if you yourself, in a game with friends gave 20 different people clues to some mystery. The 21st person has to go find the answer. They hear two clues and are sure they know the answer. That seems a bit silly, like giving up and not opening your mind.

This quote:
Nothing better to reinforce a persons belief than isolation.
applies as much to social isolation or isolation to one group as it does to any other kind.

Yes that is faith. Knowing something to be true that is unseen. However.. My experience goes much deeper and I was blessed with an amzakng gift 2 and a half years ago. I know it to be true.

I don't doubt you experienced something awe-inspiring. I hear that often and have had similar experiences, but to claim that was the final clue in the game.... you've got 18 left to find, so don't settle on the second clue because it had some LSD in it and you saw some crazy stuff. Keep searching, keep looking. Take what you learned and move on to the next place, learn, read, study, grow. Hell, become an atheist for a while, then attend Catholic church, visit a Buddhist monastery. Through the beauty of life's diversity you'll find more clues. You realize how they're mostly the same, but each different and unique.

Last edited:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Yes that is faith. Knowing something to be true that is unseen. However.. My experience goes much deeper and I was blessed with an amzakng gift 2 and a half years ago. I know it to be true.
You do not know jack ... you claim, that's the best you can do.

David1967

Premium Member
Not having internet for a while after a move sucks...

You realize that every religious construct has rules, right? Even the Mormon faith has rules. If I convert, can I continue to smoke and drink (both caffeine and alcohol)? Can I get my tattoos finished? Imagine I attend services and light up a blunt, wouldn't someone get outraged because I didn't read the rules?

You are free to believe what you wish. On the very first page of the book, there are some GLARING issues.

No, the number is in the billions. 'Because many believe it to be true it is therefore true' This is a logical fallacy.

I skimmed them... just try not to sell anything on forums or call people names and you're typically good xD

Say WHHHAAATT??? You haven't converted yet? For SHAME!!!

/sarcasm.

I can say that I've had an experience or two that leads me to believe without question there is something greater than what we see. Does this mean "poof JESUS!" Well... no of course not. However, to deny it completely would be just as silly as trying to label it for it's something I do not understand nor could I comprehend.

Marcus Aurelius said it best:
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

I'm curious. Ever read the Quran? The Tao Te Chung? What about the Satanic Bible? How many world view points did you use to create these conceptions of something we can't even fathom?

Imagine if you yourself, in a game with friends gave 20 different people clues to some mystery. The 21st person has to go find the answer. They hear two clues and are sure they know the answer. That seems a bit silly, like giving up and not opening your mind.

I don't doubt you experienced something awe-inspiring. I hear that often and have had similar experiences, but to claim that was the final clue in the game.... you've got 18 left to find, so don't settle on the second clue because it had some LSD in it and you saw some crazy stuff. Keep searching, keep looking. Take what you learned and move on to the next place, learn, read, study, grow. Hell, become an atheist for a while, then attend Catholic church, visit a Buddhist monastery. Through the beauty of life's diversity you'll find more clues. You realize how they're mostly the same, but each different and unique.

I gotta tell you. The qoute you related to me above is not only me. I said that "nothing reinforces a persons belief more than isolation. " The part under that was what Robrog wrote in reply to me. But in answer to your question. I have read the Quran. I have read the Bible. I have also read the Gita and Upanishads. Some of the book of Mormon. Along with several books written by Buddhist monks such as Thich Nhat Hahn. And given time, I will read more.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I have read the Quran. I have read the Bible. I have also read the Gita and Upanishads. Some of the book of Mormon. Along with several books written by Buddhist monks such as Thich Nhat Hahn. And given time, I will read more.

Words of wisdom from one of the wisest men who ever lived......

"The words of the wise are like oxgoads, and their collected sayings are like firmly embedded nails; they have been given from one shepherd. 12 As for anything besides these, my son, be warned: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh.
13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. 14 For the true God will judge every deed, including every hidden thing, as to whether it is good or bad."
(Ecclesiastes 12:11-14) :)

NoGuru

Don't be serious. Seriously
I gotta tell you. The qoute you related to me above is not only me.

What the...?!?!?

My apologies!!! I was directing that to robrog and somehow my multiquote (quoting by highlighting text) got all jacked up there! I'll fix that in an edit after this post!

"The words of the wise are like oxgoads, and their collected sayings are like firmly embedded nails; they have been given from one shepherd. 12 As for anything besides these, my son, be warned: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh.
13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. 14 For the true God will judge every deed, including every hidden thing, as to whether it is good or bad."

Life is wearisome to the flesh.... not sure how reading sends you to an earlier grave than working 40 hour work weeks..?

I remember when I was young my older brother was sitting on the floor "indian style" (legs crossed). He had his hands on his knees and was just relaxing. My dad came into the room and flipped out "ARE YOU MEDITATING??!?!?!" and he got a beating even though he was pleading for mercy as he was simply relaxing. You see, in the religion of my father, all external sources of, well anything were blasphemous or demonic. No two ways about it. If you weren't getting your koolaid from the local cult leader, then you were drinking the wrong koolaid.

Trusting any one source for anything is foolhardy. I've attended services for many a Christian sect, many an Eastern religion and read up on much of the "dark" arts. You find common themes... those firmly embedded nails as quoted above. Go to any one spot and you find some of the same nails, but they all have their own special painting and fluff all around the nails, and each have unique nails. I believe what Solomon was getting at was that you can spend your entire life searching for some truth when the simple truth of living a good life is all that really matters. He speaks of commandments, but I would be wary of any such commandment in a book used to justify mass murder. Not to say I don't believe there is divinity within the Bible, but I'm not sold on every scripture. As above, could an unconditionally loving God promote one man to own and beat another? A bit contradictory no? Perhaps (again) you're being sold a half-truth wrapped in self serving lies.

Tumah

Veteran Member

It doesn't say "much devotion to them", it says "much study/contemplation of them".
It follows from the previous thought. Solomon says he is looking for straight, true books and then he states the importance of the words of the wise. If they're so important, why aren't the words of the wise written down? The answer is because there would be no end to it and it would be difficult to study it all.