• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Discussion - Being Alive and Having to Die

Has anybody read Being Alive and Having to Die: The Spiritual Odyssey of Forrest Church? I finished it recently and, while it was interesting, I had some reservations about it. Namely, it seemed to cross the line from biography to hagiography, and rather boldly brushed aside some of Church's pastoral failures without much ethical reflection. I agree that a theologian's personal life shouldn't be the basis on how we judge the entirety of their work, but this wasn't an introduction to Church's theology; it was his biography. The author also gives off a rather elitist tone throughout the work, constantly praising some individuals for being "well-heeled" and "well-bred", and using socioeconomic status as an indicator of worth. It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth while trying to enjoy an otherwise engaging read. Did anybody else get the same feeling? I'd love to discuss it further with anyone who's read the book.