• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bone marrow donation

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I found out today I may be a match for someone regarding donating bone marrow. My next step is to get blood drawn to confirm the match. Anyone here ever donated marrow before? If I am confirmed a match anyone got advice for me? I know that there's 2 types of procedures that could happen nowadays. One involves drilling into the hip. The other is I sit for 4-5 hours with two IVs in my arm while blood is filtered through a machine. Depends on what the patient needs what procedure is done from my understanding. I also know I dont have to pay anything even if i am flied out of state

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I found out today I may be a match for someone regarding donating bone marrow. My next step is to get blood drawn to confirm the match. Anyone here ever donated marrow before? If I am confirmed a match anyone got advice for me? I know that there's 2 types of procedures that could happen nowadays. One involves drilling into the hip. The other is I sit for 4-5 hours with two IVs in my arm while blood is filtered through a machine. Depends on what the patient needs what procedure is done from my understanding. I also know I dont have to pay anything even if i am flied out of state

I've had both procedures for a stem cell transplant. Neither are that bad. The hip one comes with a little pain for a few days, I would describe it as similar to bumping into the corner of a table. The blood sucking one is boring, I read a book and chatted with my wife and the nurse. It was kind of interesting knowing they sucked out all my blood twice over and spun it in a centrifuge to collect the stem cells.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had both procedures for a stem cell transplant. Neither are that bad. The hip one comes with a little pain for a few days, I would describe it as similar to bumping into the corner of a table. The blood sucking one is boring, I read a book and chatted with my wife and the nurse. It was kind of interesting knowing they sucked out all my blood twice over and spun it in a centrifuge to collect the stem cells.

Really??
I was on a bone marrow registry (possibly still am, not sure how that works in terms of renewals, she, etc).

I'd always been left to believe the hip thing was a bit painful (not like crazy, but a little more than you're suggesting).

The blood thing sounds like dialysis. My.kother in law did it for years and her answer to whether it was painful was 'No...that would make it less boring.'

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Really??
I was on a bone marrow registry (possibly still am, not sure how that works in terms of renewals, she, etc).

I'd always been left to believe the hip thing was a bit painful (not like crazy, but a little more than you're suggesting).

The blood thing sounds like dialysis. My.kother in law did it for years and her answer to whether it was painful was 'No...that would make it less boring.'

It was over 20 years ago so maybe my memory is vague, I had 2 and I don't remember it as too bad. But I'm a rufty tufty Maitland boy, might be different for a Melbournian sissy. (Actually I'm the biggest baby going around, I remember not sleeping at all the night before the first one out of fear and had the nursing staff worried when the mild anaesthetic had me knocked out for 6 hours).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It was over 20 years ago so maybe my memory is vague, I had 2 and I don't remember it as too bad. But I'm a rufty tufty Maitland boy, might be different for a Melbournian sissy. (Actually I'm the biggest baby going around, I remember not sleeping at all the night before the first one out of fear and had the nursing staff worried when the mild anaesthetic had me knocked out for 6 hours).

I survived living in very remote PNG (not one of those Moresby sissies).

I do prefer having a few good coffee shops and a craft beer bar close by though, so somewhat guilty as charged.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I looked into this, and apparently it's not uncommon for those with fibromyalgia to be deferred for having an autoimmune disease.:confused:
Why is this world so full of stupid (as there's no excuse for the medical field being wrong on this)?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I looked into this, and apparently it's not uncommon for those with fibromyalgia to be deferred for having an autoimmune disease.:confused:
Why is this world so full of stupid (as there's no excuse for the medical field being wrong on this)?
Well. Certain mental health conditions can disqualify you. You possibly could still donate if you have mental illness but you have to pass the evaluation where they check you to see if you can handle donation and understand the consequences. If you have a psychotic or delusional disorder you cannot donate. I have a few mental disorders but no psychotic or delusional disorders. If i am a match which i may not be the blood test will confirm...lets hope i pass the evaluation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well. Certain mental health conditions can disqualify you. You possibly could still donate if you have mental illness but you have to pass the evaluation where they check you to see if you can handle donation and understand the consequences. If you have a psychotic or delusional disorder you cannot donate. I have a few mental disorders but no psychotic or delusional disorders. If i am a match which i may not be the blood test will confirm...lets hope i pass the evaluation.
Fibromyalgia isn't an autoimmune disease. That's what's wrong with those lists of things that can defer you.