• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bolivia to pass law enshrining Nature's rights

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
The country, which has been pilloried by the US and Britain in the UN climate talks for demanding steep carbon emission cuts, will establish 11 new rights for nature. They include: the right to life and to exist; the right to continue vital cycles and processes free from human alteration; the right to pure water and clean air; the right to balance; the right not to be polluted; and the right to not have cellular structure modified or genetically altered.

Controversially, it will also enshrine the right of nature "to not be affected by mega-infrastructure and development projects that affect the balance of ecosystems and the local inhabitant communities".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/20....l-worlds-rights

This bill already has backing from Ecuador, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, but it doesnt seem likely that any industrialized countries will take it up anytime soon. But this is a great step!!!!

You can read the entire bill in English here

Personally, a great my indigenous religions, paganism, and several other progressive religions already knew that Nature was more valuable than what one can get putting pieces on the market. It would be a blessed day when the world realizes that Nature has rights too.

Why is this in the Religious Debate? Well, tell me what, in your religious views, you think about this stance.

xkatz

I personally think such a declaration is a step in the right direction. Hopefully, there will be a declaration someday that all nations would want to embrace.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
While I agree with almost all of this... the right to "not have cellular structure modified or genetically altered" is a mistake.

Basic farming practices are inherently about genetically altering your crops and livestock.

Otherwise I applaud them for addressing the "tragedy of the commons".

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Are you a member of a government enacting this legislation?
No, though I do see a need for such legislation. Perhaps not the same as here, but along the same lines.

It's actually a subject I've been mulling over and debating for a couple of years now. Between this and the Kenyan "ecological economic valuation" system.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/20....l-worlds-rights

This bill already has backing from Ecuador, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, but it doesnt seem likely that any industrialized countries will take it up anytime soon. But this is a great step!!!!

You can read the entire bill in English here

Personally, a great my indigenous religions, paganism, and several other progressive religions already knew that Nature was more valuable than what one can get putting pieces on the market. It would be a blessed day when the world realizes that Nature has rights too.

Why is this in the Religious Debate? Well, tell me what, in your religious views, you think about this stance.

I don't personally care for amorphization used in the bill's language and to dismiss humans as nature is very misguided and erroneous. Even our destructive habits and "artificial" constructs are still very much pristine nature so it can become contradictory in that sense. It does raise positive awareness though of which can be beneficial insofar as being mindful to our environment and other living beings. Other than focusing on the importance of maintaining a proper and beneficial balance in our environment, this otherwise seems to be pointless with the nuances.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I don't personally care for amorphization used in the bill's language and to dismiss humans as nature is very misguided and erroneous. Even our destructive habits and "artificial" constructs are still very much pristine nature so it can become contradictory in that sense. It does raise positive awareness though of which can be beneficial insofar as being mindful to our environment and other living beings. Other than focusing on the importance of maintaining a proper and beneficial balance in our environment, this otherwise seems to be pointless with the nuances.
It's designed as push-back from the humanization of corporations. Essentially turning "nature" into a "corporate citizen" in it's own right, with the local population in the role of the stock holders/executives.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's designed as push-back from the humanization of corporations. Essentially turning "nature" into a "corporate citizen" in it's own right, with the local population in the role of the stock holders/executives.

Thank for the elaboration PW. It makes clearer the intention of the bills designers. Sneaky in a good way methinks when you consider it that way. :0)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Which is why I in general support such laws... but like corporate citizenship laws I think the wording needs to be very carefully and tightly considered.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I agree with the principal of the idea and like PW I strongly disagree with not allowing genetically modified crops. Also not sure I agree with the ban on mega-infrastructure. Would like it to be more clear on what it is actually meaning there.

dmgdnooc

OK, a religious view.

Genesis 2.15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
To tend and care for it.

GabrielWithoutWings

Man, can you imagine the conservative backlash if something like this was even on the table in the US? I can hear all the right-wing radio hosts now talking about tree huggers and dirt people.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Not to mention that the Green Dragon would be thrown in there as well. But I hope that it goes well for Bolivia. Everyone will be watching to see how it turns out. I know I will, as a pagan.