• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boebert is tired of the separation of church and state crap

F1fan

Veteran Member
I see her, and other uber conservatives, want to use religion as window dressing for unethical, immoral, and un-American attitudes and beliefs. The Supreme court used the status of the court to hide a religious decision. There is a lot of blurry ground in the conservative framework these days. An unholy alliance of two threats to America.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I see her, and other uber conservatives, want to use religion as window dressing for unethical, immoral, and un-American attitudes and beliefs. The Supreme court used the status of the court to hide a religious decision. There is a lot of blurry ground in the conservative framework these days. An unholy alliance of two threats to America.
I agree, which leads me to believe that the majority in the "religious right" are neither religious nor right [correct].

Viker

Häxan
An argument is there is no specific mentioning of separation of church and state in the constitution.

Constitutional Expert On ‘Separation Of Church And State’: Framers Said Nothing Wrong With Religion In Culture | Stanford Law School

It's very vague, same as the gun debate is.

That said, it's not my desire to live in a theocracy. That would be extremely bad news.
Doesn't use that wording but since Congress is prohibited from establishing a state religion it is reasonable to conclude. Jefferson would go on to explain this position to a Baptist convention and used the "wall" between the two as a reference.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm tired of the constant blurring and crossing the line between the two.
Since it already found its way into public laws, ie Sunday blue laws, there needs to be a more clear checks and balances to prevent additional religious based laws from passing in the future.

Those laws need to stay in the church or temple, not the general public.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
An argument is there is no specific mentioning of separation of church and state in the constitution.

Constitutional Expert On ‘Separation Of Church And State’: Framers Said Nothing Wrong With Religion In Culture | Stanford Law School

It's very vague, same as the gun debate is.

That said, it's not my desire to live in a theocracy. That would be extremely bad news.

Except there is a large amount of historical support dating back to the countries founding.

"The separation of church and state was one of the legacies of the American and French revolutions at the end of the 18th century. It was achieved as a result of ideas arising from opposition to the English episcopal system and the English throne as well as from the ideals of the Enlightenment."

Christianity - Separation of church and state

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Except there is a large amount of historical support dating back to the countries founding.
"The separation of church and state was one of the legacies of the American and French revolutions at the end of the 18th century. It was achieved as a result of ideas arising from opposition to the English episcopal system and the English throne as well as from the ideals of the Enlightenment."
Christianity - Separation of church and state

Historical support I find at 2 Chronicles 26:16-21
The king (political) would Not interfere with the duties of the priest (religious) and vice versa.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The separation MUST continue. The world is in trouble, and we need more critical thinking and less magical thinking.
Yep.

Religion is/can be a great and wonderful fantasy, but when it encroaches on things like scientific knowledge and the like, some serious trouble can become of it if science dosent take precedent over a number of beliefs that attempt to zealously override the reality of what science discovers and confirms.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People who hate constitutional originalism
should consider that this is the source of
separation of church & state.
I predict an eternal battle with fundies
who want a theocracy in Ameristan.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
People who hate constitutional originalism
should consider that this is the source of
separation of church & state.
I predict an eternal battle with fundies
who want a theocracy in Ameristan.

Just to clarify, as I've heard it used in both ways, by originalism are you referring to original intent (I'm assuming) or original meaning?