• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bodhisatta Path

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
What is meant by “the Noblest Aspiration”? It is the verbal and mental undertaking that the bodhisatta had made at some point of time aeons before taking up the perfections. It was made in these terms:

“As a man who knows his own strength, what use is there to get to ‘the yonder shore’ (nibbāna) alone? I will attain to Supreme Knowledge and then convey men and devas to the yonder shore.”

That was the pledge that sent the ten thousand universes reeling and echoing in applause. That was the bodhisatta’s earnest wish.

For he intensely aspired to Supreme Self-Enlightenment thus: “Knowing the Truth, I will let others know it. Freeing myself from the world, I will free others. Having crossed over, I will enable others to cross.”

This fervent and most daring aspiration is called “the Noblest Aspiration.”

von bek

Thank you for sharing this. As one who practices at a Theravada vihara from the Burmese tradition, I can say that Ledi Sayadaw is highly regarded.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Thank you for sharing this. As one who practices at a Theravada vihara from the Burmese tradition, I can say that Ledi Sayadaw is highly regarded.

Then you might know if any Burmese or Theravada cultivators today actually do practice and follow the Noblest Aspiration?

von bek

Then you might know if any Burmese or Theravada cultivators today actually do practice and follow the Noblest Aspiration?

Honestly, have never heard the phrase used. However, now that I have been exposed to the term, I can ask the monks about it.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
The Buddhavamsa is quoted on our Buddha's bodhicitta intention, made long, long ago. This intention can be made now by any who are qualified.

"When he initially invited the Buddha and his disciples to use him as a
bridge across the mud, Sumedha was focused on his own welfare. He knew
that if he wished, he could eradicate defilements and become an arahant
that very day by listening to a discourse by Buddha Dīpaṃkara. Questioning
his self-centered intention, he made an unshakable resolve to become a
buddha and lead all other beings out of saṃsāra (Bv 55–58):

What is the use while I remain ignorant of realizing Dhamma
here? Having reached omniscience, I will become a buddha in
this world with its devas. What is the use of my crossing over
alone, being a person aware of my strength? Having reached
omniscience, I will cause the world together with its devas to
cross over.

By my merit toward the supreme among humans, I will reach
omniscience; I will cause many beings to cross over. Cutting
through the stream of saṃsāra, shattering the three renewed existences,
embarking in the ship of Dhamma, I will cause the world
with its devas to cross over."

From page 240 of Buddhism: One Teacher Many Traditions, by Dalai Lama & Thubten Chodren

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Maybe best to listen to the Venerable of the OP, householder Nichalas:

These days there are some who wish for Buddhahood, and wisdom-oriented Buddhahood at that, though their conduct barely qualifies them to become ordinary disciples. What characterizes them is the bold banner of craving-de- pendent deeds, which cry out for public recognition right now and yearn for glorious results hereafter.
“Who ever does something for nothing?” these people are apt to protest. “To expect good results from a good deed is only natural.” But remember, a thing done without expecting future rewards brings a greater reward than is imagined. More significantly, it amounts to the real practice of the perfections essential for enlightenment. A meritorious deed done with an ardent wish for good results brings relatively limited results and does not amount to fulfilling the perfections. Remember the example of fungus in seed-grain or pests in a plantation.
Some say that gradual maturity is the likely process, for enlightenment right now is not possible. So why should one not store up merit for better existences and greater prosperity? My reply is this:... The Four Special Characteristics of a Bodhisatta

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
The Vimuttimagga (Path of Freedom) also has a good section on cultivating a bodhisatta attitude.
Q. What are the roots [...] of loving-kindness?

A. Absence of greed is a root; absence of hatred is a root; absence of delusion is a root. Willing is a root. Right consideration (Sammā manasikāra) is a root.
I put in bold the element that if one strives, wills or vows to live this way, not only for this lifetime but future lives as well, it will happen. For how many lives depends on the power & sincerity of the vow.

Last edited: