• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloody Stigmata: The Cause Of?

Lost Soul

Hemorrhages and bloody stigmata can be induced by means of suggestion. As a demonstration of this, Dr. M. Bourru put a subject into a hypnotic trance, than gave him the following suggestion:

At four o'clock this afternoon, after the hypnosis, you will come into my office , sit down in this armchair and fold your arms across your chest. Your nose will then begin to bleed.

That afternoon, the young man did exactly as he had been told. After he crossed his arms, several drops of blood came from his left nostril.

On another occasion, the same investigator tranced a patient's name on both his forearms, with a dull point of an insturment while the patient was in a hypnotic trance. Bourru then said:

At four o' clock this afternoon you will go to sleep. Your arms will bleed along the lines I have traced, and your name will appear witten on your arms in letters of blood.

The patient was carefully observed that afternoon. At four o'clock he fell asleep. On his left arm the letters stood out in bright relief and in several places there were drops of blood. Although the letters gradually faded, they were still visible three months afterward.

These facts demonstrate at once the correctness of the two fundamental propositions previously stated, namely, the constant amendability of the subconscious mind to the power of suggestion and the perfect control that the subconscious mind exercises over the functions, sensations, and conditions of the body.

At the foregoing phenomena dramatize vividly abnormal conditions induced by suggestion. They are conclusive proof that as a man thinketh in his heart (subconscious mind) so he is.

I took the above from the book The Power of Your Subconscious Mind. It is full of other stories stories of the power of the subconscious mind and how it can effect even physical healings.

Do you believe that most religious "miracles" are really the works of the subconscious mind and not God? That is not to say that religious faith can not stimulate the subconscious mind to do great things. But is it really God or is it the person's own mind?

Smoke

Done here.
Lost Soul said:
Do you believe that most religious "miracles" are really the works of the subconscious mind and not God?
No, I believe that a great many of them are faked, and that most of the remainder are the work of the imagination or the subconscious mind.

I consider the stigmata proof positive of spiritual delusion and serious emotional problems -- regardless of whether they are fradulent, violently self-inflicted wounds or psychosomatically self-inflicted wounds.

Lost Soul

MidnightBlue said:
No, I believe that a great many of them are faked, and that most of the remainder are the work of the imagination or the subconscious mind.

I consider the stigmata proof positive of spiritual delusion and serious emotional problems -- regardless of whether they are fradulent, violently self-inflicted wounds or psychosomatically self-inflicted wounds.

Midnight,

Do you think the same is true of all "faith healings"? But wait, if the healing is psychosomatic, that would be a good thing. Right?

Smoke

Done here.
Lost Soul said:
Do you think the same is true of all "faith healings"?
Pretty much.

Lost Soul said:
But wait, if the healing is psychosomatic, that would be a good thing. Right?
Kathryn Kuhlman used to say that if people came to her meetings and received psychosomatic healings of psychosomatic illnesses, that was fine with her. :)

Lost Soul

MidnightBlue said:
Pretty much.

Kathryn Kuhlman used to say that if people came to her meetings and received psychosomatic healings of psychosomatic illnesses, that was fine with her. :)

That was big or her.:jiggy:

Evelyn

I worked for a psychiatric facility for years. Read hundreds of reports of very disturbed people with all sorts of illnesses. Even as a catholic I hardly took most cases as a demonic posession/stigmata/ etc. Most could be explained by medical means. If I was to throw out a number (based on what I read and the reactions of the staff. Especially the doctors) I'd say probably 99% could be be explained. But I would say there were those few cases that were flat out scary and left the whole staff with question marks. More importantly it left the doctors without answers and some were sent away for further review and special attention. I have no doubt there was something in the midst in some of the cases.

Bangbang

Evelyn said:
I worked for a psychiatric facility for years. Read hundreds of reports of very disturbed people with all sorts of illnesses. Even as a catholic I hardly took most cases as a demonic posession/stigmata/ etc. Most could be explained by medical means. If I was to throw out a number (based on what I read and the reactions of the staff. Especially the doctors) I'd say probably 99% could be be explained. But I would say there were those few cases that were flat out scary and left the whole staff with question marks. More importantly it left the doctors without answers and some were sent away for further review and special attention. I have no doubt there was something in the midst in some of the cases.

I worked in a State Mental Hospital for 23 years as a Psychiatric Nurse and never saw anything that could not be explained......however I did see things that other people wpuld claim were supernatural events.I am very skeptical....... "Just the facts mam"......... However my newest hobby is Paranormal Research. The other day I could not get a correct reading in a location of a cemetary. I am still assuming that their is a natural reason for this event.

Evelyn

Bangbang said:
I worked in a State Mental Hospital for 23 years as a Psychiatric Nurse and never saw anything that could not be explained......however I did see things that other people wpuld claim were supernatural events.I am very skeptical....... "Just the facts mam"......... However my newest hobby is Paranormal Research. The other day I could not get a correct reading in a location of a cemetary. I am still assuming that their is a natural reason for this event.

I think just like some people can explain away something they saw with their spirituality, it can also work the other way. You might of seen something and you will do what you must to explain it away.

Bangbang

Evelyn said:
I think just like some people can explain away something they saw with their spirituality, it can also work the other way. You might of seen something and you will do what you must to explain it away.

Epilepsy,shizophrenia autism,and many other illnesses can cause many symptoms that could be thought to be of a spiritual nature.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Bangbang said:
Epilepsy,shizophrenia autism,and many other illnesses can cause many symptoms that could be thought to be of a spiritual nature.

Did you have any of these when looking into the cemetary?