• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blood Gods

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Mexican tiger fight ritual draws blood to bring rain

What does your religion have to say about the intentional drawing/using blood?

Is blood used in Ritual in your faith, symbolically or literally?

I know Christians/Catholics partake of the Metaphysical and Metaphorical blood and flesh of Jesus. Ritual cannibalism.

The Aztecs and Mayans would regularly use blood letting in their rituals, like in the article above.

More commonly we hear of things like "blood brothers", where two males intentionally mix their blood to form a bond.

Native American Sundance festival also has themes of blood letting and self mortification.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I know Christians/Catholics partake of the Metaphysical and Metaphorical blood and flesh of Jesus. Ritual cannibalism.

The Aztecs and Mayans would regularly use blood letting in their rituals, like in the article above.

More commonly we hear of things like "blood brothers", where two males intentionally mix their blood to form a bond.

Native American Sundance festival also has themes of blood letting and self mortification.
What do you mean by "Christians/Catholics"?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I've used menstrual blood in spellwork
On this note there are different practices surrounding menstruation and ovulation in many forms of witchcraft.

I have some spiritual beliefs and practices regarding blood and menstruation. It's complicated tho so im not going to go into it. If you or anyone else wants to learn more they can pm me. If I'm in the mood i might answer.

Last edited:

Nimos

I know the Norse used to do it:

More than just a simple sacrifice, the blót was central to all the ritual activities that took place in Norse sacral structures. Closer in conception to a gift, the blót usually involved killing animals, and sometimes humans, in ritual fashion with their blood being poured into bowls or onto stones.

Viker

Häxan
Occasionally using one's own blood in ritual isn't unheard of. In my branch of religion/witchcraft using another's blood is seen as ineffective and useless.

Cornijer and the Many to the One want your blood! :D

amorphous_constellation

I don't literally use it, but it does at least seem to be a fairly important symbolic property, that religion always treats in some way. I suppose you might frame it as the place where the 'soul meets the body,' though maybe that's wrong. Every tarot card has something red in it. It seems to symbolize an essential, energy giving color, maybe with a will and life of its own. In the cups, the ace of cups sticks out as being like a filled wine glass, as least for part of it.

74x12

Jesus' blood was for the new Covenant with God. It seals the deal. So God has a new Covenant and that new Covenant is eternal life from the dead. So the resurrection basically. This is why we say that Jesus blood speaks a better word than the blood of Abel. Cain killed Abel his brother and Abel's blood cried out from the ground for vengeance to God. But the blood of Jesus Christ does not cry "vengeance" but for forgiveness.

I think the Aztec/Mayan and other blood letting traditions from around the world have more to do with magic and worshiping demons than anything else. These are offerings of blood for the "gods" (little g) to drink. These spirits were possibly disembodied(That is physically killed) long ago and developed a taste for blood because they themselves are now dead. They're basically ghosts. So if they are dead they may want to feed on the vital life force in the blood of the living. In any case they do enjoy slurping up blood of animals and even humans.

They also like blood shed; because it's contractual. Similar to how the blood of Jesus is contractual with God Almighty. To them; shedding blood also brings a contract with them. So humans can make contracts with these demons who think of themselves as "gods". And that's what many people do in exchange for power or money or whatever. It's not good because they're signing over their soul.

Ultimately these "contracts" can be disannualled because people are ignorant when they made them and the blood of Jesus can override it if the person repents of aforesaid witchcraft and turns to Jesus Christ.

amorphous_constellation

Jesus' blood was for the new Covenant with God. It seals the deal. So God has a new Covenant and that new Covenant is eternal life from the dead. So the resurrection basically. This is why we say that Jesus blood speaks a better word than the blood of Abel. Cain killed Abel his brother and Abel's blood cried out from the ground for vengeance to God. But the blood of Jesus Christ does not cry "vengeance" but for forgiveness.

what's your explanation of the disposition of the Jesus that comes back in the book of revelation?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically it is the opposite of cannibalism. Ritual cannibalism would require actually killing and eating someone. The Christians don't fit into the category, because the point of the metaphor is to avoid bloodshed of humans. 'Peace on earth, good will'. Essentially Christians are eating 'Not blood' and 'Not violence'.

They also like blood shed; because it's contractual. Similar to how the blood of Jesus is contractual with God Almighty. To them; shedding blood also brings a contract with them. So humans can make contracts with these demons who think of themselves as "gods". And that's what many people do in exchange for power or money or whatever. It's not good because they're signing over their soul.
I have read this in exorcism books but think it is niche and rumor. Could you make a contract with a dog ? Only if there is someone who enforces contracts with dogs. What about a covenant with a dog? That is understood not made. If the dog hates you there is no covenant.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
bede says that november was known to the anglo-saxons as 'blot-monath.' It was probably the time when they were trying harvest and save some beef for the winter

Yes I think this was a time to slaughter the older animals for food purposes, or possibly sacrifice part of a hunt. Considering the wild-hunt takes place in Winter.

The use of blood in rituals have also purposes other than offering it to their gods for their thirsty.

The Israelite priests killed the animal, poured the blood over the floor, BBQ the animal and have a feast at home. Man! Those priests really had a good time, they were to receive the best animals, without defect.

The individual who made the offering had the right to have his piece of meat, but only when his offering was for giving thanks to his God. When his offering was for a committed sin, then he just gave away the animal and went to MacDonald to have his chicken sandwich.

Also there were "bunt offering" sacrifices, where the meat was for no one, but for their God.

No blood was offered to the biblical God, but was poured on the floor. For the biblical God, blood poured on the floor might have some special significance.

Then, apparently the biblical God was not like one of those others gods thirsty of blood.