• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLM is a hate group

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does the existence sexual assault committed by members of the catholic church and subsequent coverups mean that the catholic church is an abusive group, gone off the deep end, and deserves no respect from anyone? I don't think it does.

epronovost

That's not what a hate group is or what defines a hate group. Unless BLM starts to appeal to violence against Catholics, they will not be a Catholic hate group. That's what we call mundane vandalism. It's not even designed to intimidate Catholics or any specific group.

epronovost

Does the existence sexual assault committed by members of the catholic church and subsequent coverups mean that the catholic church is an abusive group, gone off the deep end, and deserves no respect from anyone? I don't think it does.

It would be a better example since the Catholic Churc has systematically tried to deny, cover up and intimidated victims in cases of sexual abuse be they children, nuns or simple parishioners. The Catholic Church views of homosexuality, non-Christian and on women could also be qualified of hateful depending on times and sub-faction.

Laika

Premium Member
...Because they're vandalizing Catholic churches now. Which means they've gone off the deep end, and deserve no respect from from anyone.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/01/protesters-vandalize-st-patricks-cathedral-new-years-day/

The protesters, affiliated with Black Lives Matter Brooklyn and Justice for George, started marching at the Stonewall Inn and had stopped at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, police sources said.

I don't mind whether you believe they are a hate group or not, as long as this does not mean you would deny the right of peaceful protesters to exercise those legal and constitutional rights as citizens. You are entitled to your opinion and to draw conclusions from an incident if you chose to do so.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
How is Black Lives Matter involved in this incident? Or did I miss that in the article?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw that it suggested police sources.

epronovost

How is Black Lives Matter involved in this incident? Or did I miss that in the article?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw that it suggested police sources.

DUring a protest organised by the group, someone painted ACAB (all cops are ********) on a famous Catholic Church in front of which they protested. The crowd was quickly dispersed without injury or arrest after that, In other words, nothing of note happened, but the New York Post needed a story on a slow 1st of January.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
So, is vandalism of St. Patrick’s Cathedral ok then?

As for hate groups...

A hate group is a social group that advocates and practices hatred, hostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, nation, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other designated sector of society.

According to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), a hate group's "primary purpose is to promote animosity, hostility, and malice against persons belonging to a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin which differs from that of the members of the organization

And would be be labeling this a hate crime if they vandalized a Synagogue or a African American Church, or would it be "mundane" vandalism?

And by the way, Mundane is defined as lacking interest or excitement; dull. ANd I do not think Vandalism should ever be thought of that way

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As for hate groups...

And would be be labeling this a hate crime if they vandalized a Synagogue or a African American Church?
No, it's not okay (though I don't believe all vandalism is bad, vandalism was an essential call to action in most civil rights battles and even the American revolution.)
And what makes a hate crime isn't the victim, it's the intention of the assailant. 'All Cops Are ********' aren't targetting Catholics. And wouldn't be targetting Jews or POC if it were on one of their building. Now tagging Nazi graffiti on a Jewish synagogue, however, that's a targetted message of hate.

epronovost

And would be be labeling this a hate crime if they vandalized a Synagogue or a African American Church, or would it be "mundane" vandalism?

Well if someone paints ACAB (all cops are *******), "Joey sucks dicks" or anythin like that, no its just mundane vandalism that you can find a bit everwhere in any major city. If someone spray painted a swastika on a synagogue that would be, but you already knew that did you?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

No, but in the larger context, it is small matter compared to systemic racism.

As for hate groups...

And by the way, Mundane is defined as lacking interest or excitement; dull. ANd I do not think Vandalism should ever be thought of that way

Vandalizing something related to a minority group that has a history of suffering abuse is a bigger problem, especially if the vandalism is linked to that abuse, like a swastika on a synagogue. ACAB on a Catholic Church doesn't appear related to anti-Catholic sentiments.

Cooky

Veteran Member

No, because the Church has openly apologized to victims and their families and has taken steps toward transparency, to ensure it doesn't happen again.

...Has BLM apologized to the Catholic Church for vandalizing a historical monument/Cathedral...? Or do they just not give a darn about anything outside black lives?

Wu Wei

No, it's not okay (though I don't believe all vandalism is bad, vandalism was an essential call to action in most civil rights battles and even the American revolution.)
And what makes a hate crime isn't the victim, it's the intention of the assailant. 'All Cops Are ********' aren't targetting Catholics. And wouldn't be targetting Jews or POC if it were on one of their building. Now tagging Nazi graffiti on a Jewish synagogue, however, that's a targetted message of hate.

I'm sorry, but throwing in the American revolution does not apply in my opinion. I gets thrown in all the time to justify acts of vandalism, but the Revolution was a war

And I am not asking what makes a hate crime, I do however find it interesting that depending on who the vandalism is against or on who commits it....we change our views

And part of my question was "would it be considered Mundane vandalism if it were done on a synagogue of an African American Church? Additionally would it be Mundane vandalism if the target were someone other than the police?

Well if someone paints ACAB (all cops are *******), "Joey sucks dicks" or anythin like that, no its just mundane vandalism that you can find a bit everwhere in any major city. If someone spray painted a swastika on a synagogue that would be, but you already knew that did you?

So graffiti that are gang signs, or showing places to purchase drugs is mundane as well....because there is a lot of that too. Big difference between spray painting jack loves susan on the side of a bridge abutment and spray painting on the side of a Cathedral, church, synagogue or any other place of worship for any other religion. Brigge....it gets left there, other public building, now someone has to pay to have it removed

Cooky

Veteran Member

When you're representing a group, your actions speak for that group. It's why businesses can get sued for the actions of a single employee.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, because the Church has openly apologized to victims and their families and has taken steps toward transparency, to ensure it doesn't happen again.

...Has BLM apologized to the Catholic Church for vandalizing a historical monument/Cathedral...? Or do they just not give a darn about anything outside black lives?
Neverminding that the church continually denied the coverups even during the apologies, and the amount of change that has happened is considered by many to be minimal, if at all:
Who are you expecting to apologize really? If someone who claimed to be Catholic did a bad thing but you don't consider them to be catholic, would you expect the pope to apologize for their behavior?

Wu Wei

No, but in the larger context, it is small matter compared to systemic racism.

So then people who have been the subject of systemic racism get a pass to vandalize whatever they want.......is it then ok to respond with hate by using hate then, because you were more oppressed. Frankly, IMO, all that does it produce more hate and give more people questionable reasons to justify hate/racism/vandalism/etc.

Vandalizing something related to a minority group that has a history of suffering abuse is a bigger problem, especially if the vandalism is linked to that abuse, like a swastika on a synagogue. ACAB on a Catholic Church doesn't appear related to anti-Catholic sentiments.

Ever study the history of Catholicism in the USA...you may want to look into that

Cooky

Veteran Member
I think people should be able to sue the organizers of BLM, or any other group for the actions of it's affiliates, just like a business can get sued.

...I think BLM owes the diocese of NY money for repairs!

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
B.L.M is a gate group.
Posting a thread title like that says more about the writer than BLM, imo.

BLM is supported all over the World . A BLM supporter in UK has just been honoured with a knighthood.
.....just sayin'...

Cooky

Veteran Member
Neverminding that the church continually denied the coverups even during the apologies, and the amount of change that has happened is considered by many to be minimal, if at all:
Who are you expecting to apologize really? If someone who claimed to be Catholic did a bad thing but you don't consider them to be catholic, would you expect the pope to apologize for their behavior?

Yet the Catholic Church pays millions of dollars for what their members have done. How much does BLM pay out for their damages?