• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLM Founder/Activist arrested for corruption and money laundering

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is he really a "founder" of BLM? It sounds like a scammer.

However, I found another article which had a part which was interesting.

Sir Maejor Page federally charged with spending over $200K from nonprofit donations

It looks like they really went all out just to get this guy. With all these agencies involved, the investigation likely cost more than what this guy stole.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Sir Maejor Page federally charged with spending over $200K from nonprofit donations

It looks like they really went all out just to get this guy. With all these agencies involved, the investigation likely cost more than what this guy stole.

According to the article, he was one of the founders of the Atlanta based group.

Its big and I agree, it likely more money was spent past the stolen funds.

exchemist

Veteran Member
According to the article, he was one of the founders of the Atlanta based group.

So not one of the founders of BLM, then, just a person involved in starting up a branch in one city.

Good to clear that up, otherwise the actual founders could sue you for libel.:D

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I personally think BLM is misguided and will result in a net increase of violent deaths of young black men. But that doesn't mean that, as a group, they aren't trying to improve the world.

It's big and popular and not terribly well organized. Of course the occasional miscreant will take advantage of that. I don't see that as any more of a reflection on BLM as a whole, than a corrupt politician is a reflection on everyone else in their party.
Tom

exchemist

Veteran Member
I personally think BLM is misguided and will result in a net increase of violent deaths of young black men. But that doesn't mean that, as a group, they aren't trying to improve the world.

It's big and popular and not terribly well organized. Of course the occasional miscreant will take advantage of that. I don't see that as any more of a reflection on BLM as a whole, than a corrupt politician is a reflection on everyone else in their party.
Tom
Yes. The danger I see with BLM is that it tries to make a cause that seems to resonate with almost everyone into something that is somehow the property of the political left. The founders have just the sort of ghastly, right-on, identity politics background to put people off. (Well, people like me, anyway ;))

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Oh I can't sue you: I'm not the injured party, heh, heh.

But I'll keep an eye on what you post - as some others are evidently doing.:D

Probably a lawyer is lurking somewhere in the shadows waiting to pounce like wolves. Taking notes.....

Meanwhile, I'll be peeking through the blinds in a hysterical fit of paranoia.

Heyo

Veteran Member

FBI, they have a long record of surveilling social justice movements and trying to discredit them. (Look up Martin Luther King and FBI.)
It may be that Page stole the money but I wouldn't believe it too readily.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Done a bit of research.
He doesn't have any affiliation with the 'official' BLM movement, and had been running a GoFundMe page for 'activism' for some time. Donations were low (approx $5000) but recent protests led to him getting a flood of donations.
He was listed on Facebook as a charity, even though he lost his 'not-for-profit' status in 2019.

Rather than transferring donated funds to BLM, or using them to 'fight for rights', he appears to have used them to fund his own lifestyle.

Assuming it's true, he's a parasite, in the true sense of the word.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
FBI, they have a long record of surveilling social justice movements and trying to discredit them. (Look up Martin Luther King and FBI.)

Looks pretty shady, and he's not a member of BLM in any recognizable sense, based on my research.
Media reports are colourful in how they present such things, and there can be clear agenda's at play there.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

This is true. Hoover had some kind of vendetta against King, and the FBI implemented COINTELPRO to confuse, undermine, discredit, and break the organizations they were targeting.

During the Civil Rights movement, there were those who were against King's peaceful methods and wanted more direct (read "violent") action to achieve their goals. It's possible that some may have been agents provocateur who were directed to stir things up and goad people into violence - just so the authorities could have an excuse to come down hard on the entire movement.

I would surmise that something similar could be happening now.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is true. Hoover had some kind of vendetta against King, and the FBI implemented COINTELPRO to confuse, undermine, discredit, and break the organizations they were targeting.

During the Civil Rights movement, there were those who were against King's peaceful methods and wanted more direct (read "violent") action to achieve their goals. It's possible that some may have been agents provocateur who were directed to stir things up and goad people into violence - just so the authorities could have an excuse to come down hard on the entire movement.

I would surmise that something similar could be happening now.
There was certainly some very peculiar behaviour by law enforcement in Portland a few weeks ago, and we do know Trump has replaced the heads of a lot of institutions with loyalists, so I would not be surprised.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's sorta funny but also not funny that when I saw the word "corruption" in the OP I immediately thought of Donald J. Trump.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There was certainly some very peculiar behaviour by law enforcement in Portland a few weeks ago, and we do know Trump has replaced the heads of a lot of institutions with loyalists, so I would not be surprised.
This is the problem with having a President that everybody knows lies at the drop of a hat.
Even his supporters know this.
They might say "it doesn't matter", or "Everyone else does to", or whatever. But everyone knows Trump is an inveterate liar.
The question is only "Will you vote for that?".
Tom