• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLM cancel demonstration upon learning 'victim' shot by cop was white.

He was murdered. His death rightly sparked outrage.

Fair enough. But what about the 54% of all murders that were committed by Blacks in 2018 (over 7000 people)? Where is the outrage there? Why do they get coverage for a day and then dropped? Why did Floyd get so much scrutiny but those victims don’t matter? Are those statistics made by the FBI a lie? It seems just a tad disproportionate.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Then frankly what you're saying isn't relevant.

Breonna Taylor was and is brought up by BLM all the time.

Yes, there's art in commemoration of him. He was murdered. His death rightly sparked outrage. No one claimed he was sinless. Human beings are complicated and a mix of good and bad. At the end of the day, though, he's dead. He was murdered.
What a bizarre post. Not sure why you said that to me, like I'm retarded or something. I was referring to how he is being viewed by the culture. Symbols have meaning, you know.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
These things do get coverage. Maybe not as much you're right, but to play like it's ignored is again, disingenuous.

Family Mourns Man With Mental Illness Killed by Police and Calls for Change

https://www.treatmentadvocacycenter...-more-likely-to-be-killed-by-law-enforcement-

These things do get addressed. They may not be as loud as BLM, but is that the fault of BLM choice of who to support (black policing issues), or that people aren't advocating loudly or effectively enough, about other policing concerns (overlap or not)?
That's kind of my point that those aren't national news sources like ABC, NBC, CBS, and so on. You don't often hear those stories on major sources that will grab attention. It's advocacy groups and health networks.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
If police are confronted by a situation where someone, say, shoots at them, I don't hold it against them that they shoot back. Unfortunately in our country that is armed to the teeth, that's to be expected. In other countries where much less of the population owns guns, I can see their interactions being much less lethal.
Less than half of all Americans grow up in households that have guns, or have ever touched a gun in their lives.
Those Americans who are "armed to the teeth" are not the majority population.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Fair enough. But what about the 54% of all murders that were committed by Blacks in 2018 (over 7000 people)? Where is the outrage there? Why do they get coverage for a day and then dropped? Why did Floyd get so much scrutiny but those victims don’t matter? Are those statistics made by the FBI a lie? It seems just a tad disproportionate.

No one said murder victims don't matter. Police are supposed to be our society's protectors. They are supposed to keep us safe. It is literally their job. Thus when they murder people, it obviously outrages society beyond when a typical civilian homicide happens. When those murders have a racial pattern, people notice - particularly given the overtly racist history of American law and law enforcement. That racism has become less overt, but is still present and systemic. That's the issue.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
What a bizarre post. Not sure why you said that to me, like I'm retarded or something. I was referring to how he is being viewed by the culture. Symbols have meaning, you know.

He's viewed by the culture as a murder victim. Which he is.

What I find truly bizarre is that you seem more outraged by artistic representations of murder victims than the fact that these people were murdered by the police. Isn't that where the focus of our energy should be?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Less than half of all Americans grow up in households that have guns, or have ever touched a gun in their lives.
Those Americans who are "armed to the teeth" are not the majority population.

Mkay. It remains the case that rates of gun ownership are much higher here than other countries.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Mkay. It remains the case that rates of gun ownership are much higher here than other countries.
Absolutely, I just wanted to point out that those rates can be deceiving - what makes that rate look so shock is not necessarily that guns are widespread in America (although they are), it's that there is a large minority population of people who are literally stockpiling personal firearms to an alarming degree.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Some may find it shocking that victims of state brutality are being lionized. That's understandable - traditionally, only the purveyors of state brutality have attained that treatment after all, with bronze statues in battle poses and all that jazz.

What I find particularly fascinating, however, is how for certain people, committing crime apparently seems to forfeit a person's human rights - to the point where their brutalization and murder is not only deemed acceptable, but a laudable and praiseworthy act. It very much speaks to how our society singles out certain classes of people as acceptable targets to be dehumanized, and how it frames their dehumanization as a worthy goal in itself.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
He's viewed by the culture as a murder victim. Which he is.

What I find truly bizarre is that you seem more outraged by artistic representations of murder victims than the fact that these people were murdered by the police. Isn't that where the focus of our energy should be?
I never said that. It was a comment on who we chose to glorify in society.

I spent my time being outraged by it. It's over. Chauvin is going to prison.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I never said that. It was a comment on who we chose to glorify in society.

I'm in favor of us standing up for murder victims in society. Call me crazy.

Your religion's central figure and myth is that of a man who's killing was unjustified. One would think that would make you sympathetic to such causes.

I spent my time being outraged by it. It's over. Chauvin is going to prison.

Big picture, little picture. Yes, Chauvin is going to prison. That's the tip of the iceberg of what should happen.