• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLM cancel demonstration upon learning 'victim' shot by cop was white.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So how would you resolve the situation in Ohio today? Talk someone down on the verge of killing someone. I’m just curious cause the Biden is using today’s example of a policeman stopping a stabbing as systemic racism.
I haven't seen Biden claim that.
But the brain trust element of society apparently is.....
LeBron James now-deleted tweet targets officer in Ohio police shooting: 'YOU'RE NEXT'
This seems a case where the cop cannot win.
Either shoot the girl wielding the knife, or allow
her to stab others. He has seconds to decide,
& he'll be in trouble either way.
Also, the alternative of tazing looks dubious.
It's not as reliable. This matters when another
person could be injured if another isn't stopped.

I haven't seen Biden claim that.
But the brain trust element of society apparently is.....
LeBron James now-deleted tweet targets officer in Ohio police shooting: 'YOU'RE NEXT'
This seems a case where the cop cannot win.
Either shoot the girl wielding the knife, or allow
her to stab others. He has seconds to decide,
& he'll be in trouble either way.

"Let me just say, since you gave me the opportunity, the killing of 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant by the Columbus police is tragic. She was a child," Psaki said. "We know that police violence disproportionately impacts Black and Latino people and communities and that Black women and girls like Black men and boys experience higher rates of police violence."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Let me just say, since you gave me the opportunity, the killing of 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant by the Columbus police is tragic. She was a child," Psaki said. "We know that police violence disproportionately impacts Black and Latino people and communities and that Black women and girls like Black men and boys experience higher rates of police violence."
Sounds more like he's pandering by stating something safe.
But yes, he's poisoning the well.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
So how would you resolve the situation in Ohio today? Talk someone down on the verge of killing someone. I’m just curious cause the Biden is using today’s example of a policeman stopping a stabbing as systemic racism.

You mean the Columbus shooting? It was yesterday. As I said earlier, the officer reported that the girl was about to stab someone. Body cam footage was unclear (I watched it a couple times, as it happened very rapidly).

It would be one thing if this was a one-off situation. This is the nth example of a black person being killed by police. I hope you agree George Floyd's case was an example of an unjustified killing by police? Eric Garner? Stephon Clark? Breonna Taylor? The list goes on. How many examples are required? Systemic racism's proof is in the pudding, as the stats I already posted show.

You mean the Columbus shooting? It was yesterday. As I said earlier, the officer reported that the girl was about to stab someone. Body cam footage was unclear (I watched it a couple times, as it happened very rapidly).

It would be one thing if this was a one-off situation. This is the nth example of a black person being killed by police. I hope you agree George Floyd's case was an example of an unjustified killing by police? Eric Garner? Stephon Clark? Breonna Taylor? The list goes on. How many examples are required? Systemic racism's proof is in the pudding, as the stats I already posted show.

Just because it was white on black doesn’t mean it was racist. Why does everyone have to jump to that conclusion & what 5 people denote a systemic problem - even several dozen? There are three hundred million plus people in the US. White on white or black on white largely goes unreported.

Also read any article by a Black liberal on the web & a large portion are incredibly racist towards Whites. I won’t deny there are racists but it goes both ways.

I would actually go a step further and say people who claim all cop incidents involving black people are racist are actually racist themselves.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I'll add some names...just to complicate things.
Daniel Shaver, Justine Damond, James Boyd, Ryan Whitaker

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Just because it was white on black doesn’t mean it was racist. Why does everyone have to jump to that conclusion & what 5 people denote a systemic problem - even several dozen? There are three hundred million plus people in the US.

You did not read the actual stats in the link I provided earlier. Please go do so before commenting further.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/

White on white or black on white largely goes unreported.

False.

Also read any article by a Black liberal on the web & a large portion are incredibly racist towards Whites.

Read any article, huh? Any single one? Really?

I would actually go a step further and say people who claim all cop incidents involving black people are racist are actually racist themselves.

And of course, I didn't say that. You don't understand what "systemic" means.

Statistics can be manipulated as anyone sees fit. If you want to maybe not look at count vs likelihood per violent crime it reveals that if commiting a violent crime per race it’s actually more likely whites will be shot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Statistics can be manipulated as anyone sees fit. If you want to maybe not look at count vs likelihood per violent crime it reveals that if commiting a violent crime per race it’s actually more likely whites will be shot.
Manipulated statistics can be caught. Even with my IQ
of only 70 (on a good day), I've spotted bogus statistics.
How, you ask?
I look at the assumptions, reasoning, & conclusions.
The perspicacious poster can spot errors.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Statistics can be manipulated as anyone sees fit.

This is an excuse.

If you want to maybe not look at count vs likelihood per violent crime it reveals that if commiting a violent crime per race it’s actually more likely whites will be shot.

We went over this already. You are incorrect. You are rationalizing a system that disproportionately kills black people, not to mention disproportionately incarcerating them, underemploying them, undereducating them, and all the rest.

Think through that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to me that if you recognize the problem with the excessive use of force by police in this country, and wish to see changes made, you'd welcome support from any groups seeking those changes, too. Even if they were only concerned with cops killing black people. They are still on your side, and they are still seeking the same changes you are. Also, why be bothered by black people supporting black people? Why wouldn't they support their own? Especially when you aren't!

This makes a lot of sense to me.

People who are less well off will always be at a disadvantage to those who have more money. They’ll be more likely to commit crime & have weaker defense attorneys resulting in more incarcerations. I’m all on board for making peoples situations better. However I draw the line at saying that systemic racism in the 2020’s is the root cause of it. To me that’s a cop out & not addressing the real problem. But I know you’ll disagree with me so I’ll stop there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is an excuse.

We went over this already. You are incorrect. You are rationalizing a system that disproportionately kills black people, not to mention disproportionately incarcerating them, underemploying them, undereducating them, and all the rest.

Think through that.
Even the geniuses at Harvard argue over the extent of racism
in police shootings (but not over other wrongful police encounters)....
Mr Fryer is black.
An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force
Mr Feldman is white.
Roland Fryer is wrong: There is racial bias in shootings by police
Isn't it interesting that they each don't take
the side one would expect based upon race.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
More racism? I thought better of you @Saint Frankenstein .

You really think the BLM protest movement is about glorifying criminals? Or are you using this as another excuse to bloviate your opinions about how BLM are thugs.
Nothing I said was racist. And racist against who? Myself? I'm half black. You really need to stop misusing that word. It's just true that the BLM movement has made martyrs out of people who were criminals, like Floyd and Michael Brown. And it's just true that they do not spend much time focusing on violence against black women (oops, probably because most of it comes from black men). I do think there's a bad tendency for BLM activists to shield certain people from criticism for their behavior.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Even the geniuses at Harvard argue over the extent of racism
in police shootings (but not over other wrongful police encounters)....
Mr Fryer is black.
An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force
Mr Feldman is white.
Roland Fryer is wrong: There is racial bias in shootings by police
Isn't it interesting that they each don't take
the side one would expect based upon race.

Dr. Fryer's conclusion has evidently been criticized in two follow-up studies by 5 other academics in the field. That tells me his study likely suffers from some methodological or other flaws worth noting.

Besides, I thought you and I were agreed, just earlier today, that black people are disproportionate victims of police violence?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing I said was racist. And racist against who? Myself? I'm half black. You really need to stop misusing that word. It's just true that the BLM movement has made martyrs out of people who were criminals, like Floyd and Michael Brown.

Committing a crime does not justify police killing you.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Committing a crime does not justify police killing you.
I'm not talking about that. Why is Floyd their poster boy and not Breonna Taylor? Yes, Floyd has effectively been sainted in the eyes of the media and much of the population. Just look at the art that's all over city streets that's of him. We have politicians, friends and family, activists, etc. going on about how lovely and wonderful they were as humans, as if they were MLK and Rosa Parks.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not talking about that.

Then frankly what you're saying isn't relevant.

Why is Floyd their poster boy and not Breonna Taylor?

Breonna Taylor was and is brought up by BLM all the time.

Yes, Floyd has effectively been sainted in the eyes of the media and much of the population. Just look at the art that's all over city streets that's of him. We have politicians, friends and family, activists, etc. going on about how lovely and wonderful they were as humans, as if they were MLK and Rosa Parks.

Yes, there's art in commemoration of him. He was murdered. His death rightly sparked outrage. No one claimed he was sinless. Human beings are complicated and a mix of good and bad. At the end of the day, though, he's dead. He was murdered.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

No, it was incredibly clear.

-Officers show up to the scene, where several (black) people are gathered.

- A (black) woman is thrown to the ground by Ma’Khia Bryant (who is black) and a (black) man runs up and kicks the (black) woman in the head.

- Right next to them, Ma’Khia Bryant pulls out a knife and charges another (black) woman, about to stab her.

-At this point, the (white) officer had seconds to react and decide who gets to live. He shot Ma’Khia Bryant and saved a (black) life.

Why are the people in this video behaving like this, and why are they behaving like this in front of the police? Why was a (black) man kicking a (black) woman in the head, and why did a sixteen year old (black) woman pull out a knife and try to stab another (black) woman right in front of the cops?

And the (white) officer is the villain?
______

Let me be clear. I feel like this shooting had nothing to do with race. However, this cop is already being painted as a vile racist murderer who deserves retribution. Perhaps a more vivid illustration of what actually transpired will snap some people out of their perpetual outrage loop fueled by their favorite news anchors and politicians, and back to reality.

People must stop blaming everyone else for the consequences of their own poor choices in life and start making better choices themselves, as individuals. It is not too late.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Dr. Fryer's conclusion has evidently been criticized in two follow-up studies by 5 other academics in the field. That tells me his study likely suffers from some methodological or other flaws worth noting.

Besides, I thought you and I were agreed, just earlier today, that black people are disproportionate victims of police violence?
I'm not disagreeing.
Just noting the difficulty of analyzing the extent.
Consider that not all victims are actually victims,
ie, some shootings are justified. How many?
That's not something addressed in simple statistics
we typically see.