• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLM cancel demonstration upon learning 'victim' shot by cop was white.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Watching and hearing the verdict yesterday, it made me wonder what will change? Will Indian reserves still be shooting galleries for police? Will police still rape women they detain (this is not illegal in many jurisdictions)? Will it be acknowledged white men have been murdered by police for walking away, because he didn't hear them because he had headphones on?
And what of all the false imprisonments? Will Leonard Peltier still sit in prison over a farce of a trial nearly 50 years ago over cops he didn't kill? Probably.
Will lawyers clean up their act to make justice more just? Ha!
Aye, a huge overhaul is needed. Race, gender, training,
standards, accountability, etc.....all are parts of a system,
one at odds with civilians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Even if this were true, it would have absolutely no bearing on the validity of the BLM cause, since black people are wrongfully killed by cops in disproportionately large numbers. And, assuming that you're smart enough to know this, I'm puzzled why you still felt a need to assert racism on the part of the BLM members.
BLM types are welcome to be concerned with only black victims.
That's their right. But this racist focus by BLM & the media
obscures larger reforms needed. I'm of course "assuming that
you're smart enough to know this".

PureX

Veteran Member
Seems to me that if you recognize the problem with the excessive use of force by police in this country, and wish to see changes made, you'd welcome support from any groups seeking those changes, too. Even if they were only concerned with cops killing black people. They are still on your side, and they are still seeking the same changes you are. Also, why be bothered by black people supporting black people? Why wouldn't they support their own? Especially when you aren't!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Possibly because it does not disproportionately effect you? As you are not black?
I base my views on the total picture, ie, all the people
who are abused & even wrongfully killed by cops.
Should there be a different basis?

As for my personal experience with government
& cops, it's been less than positive on the whole.
But rather than dwelling on hating them, I prefer
to find solutions.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I base my views on the total picture, ie, all the people
who are abused & even wrongfully killed by cops.
Should there be a different basis?

No one sees the total picture or is able to wholely drop bias. I don't see you as a neutral party in this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No one sees the total picture or is able to wholely drop bias. I don't see you as a neutral party in this.
I don't claim to be without bias.
But if this is a problem with me, then it's also a
problem with you (since no one is without bias).
Where does that leave us...neither qualified to
opine on the subject?
Nah.
Let discussion be about the issues, & let arguments
stand on their own merit...not on one's race.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Even if this were true, it would have absolutely no bearing on the validity of the BLM cause, since black people are wrongfully killed by cops in disproportionately large numbers. And, assuming that you're smart enough to know this, I'm puzzled why you still felt a need to assert racism on the part of the BLM members.
It's not racist to point out everyone gets butchered by the police. We are all at risk, with Native Americans being the most killed. Women of all races are in jeopardy of being raped, even roadside in front of every body. The police problem is so widespread it's not about race, it's not even about specifically murder.
It's sort of like "defund the police." That won't work. Taking money away won't remove problematic training. Taking money away is taking away money that could be used to hire social workers and to hire new cops who haven't been trained to think they are policing a warzone.
And then there is the issue of the courts. Those are, regardless of whatever, pay to win at best, pay for a better outcome, and if you can't afford to pay you lose and get it the worse.
There are many problems with the police, and racism is undeniably one of them. And people just aren't focusing on the other problems enough.
Or, how often do you hear about NLM?

Seems to me that if you recognize the problem with the excessive use of force by police in this country, and wish to see changes made, you'd welcome support from any groups seeking those changes, too. Even if they were only concerned with cops killing black people. They are still on your side, and they are still seeking the same changes you are. Also, why be bothered by black people supporting black people? Why wouldn't they support their own? Especially when you aren't!

I would have no problem supporting their own. But the BLM movement is so much more than that. It’s better represented by the acronym AWPAIR all white people are inherently racist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We expect that police are going to shoot some number of people.
We should not have that as such an upfront expectation.
I expect that alleged criminals have their day in court. It can't always happen, of course, but police in many countries are expected to shoot no one.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
He's bringing more of it into the discussion (a more complete picture) than what most others here ever do.

Why is it everytime a topic talks about disproportionate policing, it always pivots to a defensive, everyone gets shot by the police (yeah no ****).

That's my main issue. *Shrug* of course everyone gets shot, all people's have retards.

The topic is about the imbalance in police response towards communities of color.

A topic of the Police overuse of force is a different topic imo. And not one BLM is trying to address (so why bring it up, as opposed to say? Pushing for a separate movement about police brutality instead?) Or highlighting those issues, without automatically comparing them to a separate movement (BLM), it comes off as bad faith comparing, as a way to disparage one movement, by redirecting focus elsewhere.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I expect that alleged criminals have their day in court. It can't always happen, of course, but police in many countries are expected to shoot no one.
Still, shootings are gonna happen.
We need to ensure that they're few & a necessary last resort.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
So why is the All Lives Matter crowd not protesting this injustice?

One would think this is exactly the kind of situation where their presence would be warranted and desirable, so why is it only ever BLM who protest police violence?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Watching and hearing the verdict yesterday, it made me wonder what will change? Will Indian reserves still be shooting galleries for police? Will police still rape women they detain (this is not illegal in many jurisdictions)? Will it be acknowledged white men have been murdered by police for walking away, because he didn't hear them because he had headphones on?
And what of all the false imprisonments? Will Leonard Peltier still sit in prison over a farce of a trial nearly 50 years ago over cops he didn't kill? Probably.
Will lawyers clean up their act to make justice more just? Ha!
Police unions will fight change tooth and nail. It's all but guaranteed.

Remember that particular politician who praises unions next time election comes around, keeping in mind how politicians are bought and sold each cycle lauding union support.

So why is the All Lives Matter crowd not protesting this injustice?

One would think this is exactly the kind of situation where their presence would be warranted and desirable, so why is it only ever BLM who protest police violence?

Simple the media only publicizes white cops killing black folks. It’s a disinformation campaign by the media.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Simple the media only publicizes white cops killing black folks.
This took me five minutes with Google:
Portland police kill man at Lents Park in Portland; officer ID’d
Maryland trooper shoots, kills teenager who had airsoft gun
Adam Toledo: Chicago police release video of officer shooting boy

These incidents happened this year and were publicized by local, national, or international media.

Maybe white people just don't believe these incidents happen to them too frequently?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

If police are confronted by a situation where someone, say, shoots at them, I don't hold it against them that they shoot back. Unfortunately in our country that is armed to the teeth, that's to be expected. In other countries where much less of the population owns guns, I can see their interactions being much less lethal.