• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLM cancel demonstration upon learning 'victim' shot by cop was white.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I simply responded with useful info & a question.
How do you think the cops should've responded to the situation?

Body cam footage was unclear to me. Black witnesses of the shooting were appalled. Perhaps tase the girl? I don't claim to be an expert in emergency response or deescalation.

But you know who should be? Police.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are more than twice as many white people in the US as black, so that's neither particularly surprising nor concerning per se.
I'm arguing that it should be concerning. The numbers
of people wrongfully killed & abused by cops is greater
than the impression given by news media.
We expect that police are going to shoot some number of people. The issue is that black people are shot very disproportionately.
That is indeed an issue.
But it's not the only one, nor is it the biggest.

There are more than twice as many white people in the US as black, so that's neither particularly surprising nor concerning per se. We expect that police are going to shoot some number of people. The issue is that black people are shot very disproportionately.

Actually when you compare it to violent crime by race it’s not disproportionate at all.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm arguing that it should be concerning. The numbers
of people wrongfully killed & abused by cops is greater
than the impression given by news media.

That is indeed an issue.
But it's not the only one, nor is it the biggest.

It can both be true that police shoot more people than necessary, and that the people they shoot are disproportionately black. That's the progressive position, anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Body cam footage was unclear to me. Black witnesses of the shooting were appalled. Perhaps tase the girl? I don't claim to be an expert in emergency response or deescalation.

But you know who should be? Police.
Camera footage matched the cops' explanation,
so this seems a likely version of events.
(Of course, things could be different when the dust
settles, but we can treat this info tentatively.)
But if indeed the girl was about to knife other people,
there's the question of whether cops should intervene
to stop it using lethal force, or let things proceed until
they can get close enuf to use non-lethal tools.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It can both be true that police shoot more people than necessary, and that the people they shoot are disproportionately black. That's the progressive position, anyway.
Well, I am a certified progressive after all.
(I took the test.)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually when you compare it to violent crime by race it’s not disproportionate at all.

Even if we assume that's true without fact checking it for a minute: committing a violent crime does not justify police shooting you. Police should only be shooting folks who pose an immediate deadly threat.

I'm not especially interested, however, in entertaining ideas from people who think black people deserve to be killed disproportionately by police. That is literally rationalizing systemic racism. No thanks.

Even if we assume that's true without fact checking it for a minute: committing a violent crime does not justify police shooting you. Police should only be shooting folks who pose an immediate deadly threat.

I'm not especially interested, however, in entertaining ideas from people who think black people deserve to be killed disproportionately by police. That is literally rationalizing systemic racism. No thanks.

I think there is significant racism problems both ways. No one deserves to be shot. I’m just stating that policing issue is pushed as racism but may in fact just be bad policing.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there is significant racism problems both ways. No one deserves to be shot. I’m just stating that policing issue is pushed as racism but may in fact just be bad policing.

As I was mentioning before, it's both/and. Policing is both bad, and the way it's bad is too often racist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A proposal....
When cops are dispatched to a situation likely to involve
use of force, there should be a highly trained supervisor
sent to manage the situation. This should be a role entirely
separate from front line cops, thereby allowing detachment
from the stress & fears of front line cops. it could benefit
not just civilians, but also cops, who shouldn't be expected
to view the larger picture when attention is focused upon
the job at hand.
This role could even be performed using telepresence
when physical presence isn't possible.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why would a black protest movement be involved in something that didn't involve black people?
No doubt if this demo had continued racists would be ******* themselves laughing and publicising that to the full.
Some people seem to be unable or unwilling to understand what a protest movement is all about. Back to the All Lives Matter crap now is it? What are All humans oppressed by? A race of giant aliens?
I know the United Negro College Fund had helped whites in the past. It shows they're above prejudice even though it's specifically tailored for disadvantaged black folks to obtain College level opportunities.

I have great respect for this organization to this day and follows the example of equality and being above pettiness found in other bigoted organizations and groups.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think a lot of issues were made worse with the elimination of the beat cop, and a notable lack of residency requirements for starters.

Cops with no interest or stake in maintaining the welfare of the neighborhoods they patrol often prove belligerent and non sensitive to local issues and concerns if they don't live there themselves.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The helpful @Revoltingest reference had this point which is at the heart of BLM.

What is perhaps most alarming about these statistics, is that African Americans make up 26% of police shooting deaths and another 50% are White. At face value, these numbers do not seem to suggest a problem with racism in the police force. However, African Americans only make up about 12.6% of the American population, while White Americans make up 72.4%. This discrepancy means that police are 2.5 times more likely to shoot African Americans. In contrast, 17.4% of victims are Hispanic, which more accurately reflects their share of the population.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Testosterone poisoning", of course, leads men to be more violent than women.
Blaming the victim, eh.
One could say that blacks are more prone to violence than whites.
Both are explanations.
But I've posed another....
Cops feel more threatened by men. And this feeling
drives them to shoot to kill if they become uneasy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A little.
How about you?

Her murder got a tiny fraction of the news coverage & protests
devoted to Floyd's murder. No looting. No arson.
I recall interviews with Australians protesting Floyd's murder,
who were questioned about Justine Damond's murder.
Most were unaware of her.
Watching and hearing the verdict yesterday, it made me wonder what will change? Will Indian reserves still be shooting galleries for police? Will police still rape women they detain (this is not illegal in many jurisdictions)? Will it be acknowledged white men have been murdered by police for walking away, because he didn't hear them because he had headphones on?
And what of all the false imprisonments? Will Leonard Peltier still sit in prison over a farce of a trial nearly 50 years ago over cops he didn't kill? Probably.
Will lawyers clean up their act to make justice more just? Ha!

PureX

Veteran Member
Exactly.
It doesn't matter to them or the news media if whites are killed.
OIP.538YCjAjEI27__G6MxdBowHaHa

They held no protests for Justine Damond, who was
murdered by a cop in 2017. BTW, the murderer had
only 7 months training before he was put on duty.
The requirements to become a cop are far far too'
lax for the power they're given over us.
Even if this were true, it would have absolutely no bearing on the validity of the BLM cause, since black people are wrongfully killed by cops in disproportionately large numbers. And, assuming that you're smart enough to know this, I'm puzzled why you still felt a need to assert racism on the part of the BLM members.