• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blind Faith

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
What does this term mean to you?
This is the technical definition....
Blind Faith
Belief without true understanding, perception, or discrimination.

And then here's the definition of faith....

Faith
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing
2. belief that is not based on proof

First off,
I can believe that people will believe in something without discrimination or perception but "true understanding"....idk:shrug:....who can truly understand something without having all the evidence or facts? Especially when it comes to God and "the meaning of life" or how humans got on this earth...no one can "truly" know this....maybe if there is an afterlife, we'll find out...One thing I know, is that when it comes to these subjects, everyone has faith in what they believe..
I was once told (on this website) that I have blind Faith after sufficiently providing what I consider to be evidence and facts...which is what lead me to ask this question.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Most unbelievers wouldn't have a reason place faith in what isn't in front of them. Only a believer would feel the need to take that extra step and actually believe something that can't be proven.

So it is with science, it isn't necessary to doubt anything except what can be observed. There are cosmologists like hawking trying to figure out the beginnings and maybe taking extra leaps to figure stuff out but thats their job.

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Faith is an invented religious term.
So you don't think that Atheists have faith in the theory of evolution (unless there's some other type of explanation Atheists have for mankind being here)? After all, it is a theory.
Plus religion has been around since the beginning of time....all known civilizations and cultures ever recorded throughout history have had "religions".

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
What does this term mean to you?
This is the technical definition....
Blind Faith
Belief without true understanding, perception, or discrimination.

And then here's the definition of faith....

Faith
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing
2. belief that is not based on proof

First off,
I can believe that people will believe in something without discrimination or perception but "true understanding"....idk:shrug:....who can truly understand something without having all the evidence or facts? Especially when it comes to God and "the meaning of life" or how humans got on this earth...no one can "truly" know this....maybe if there is an afterlife, we'll find out...One thing I know, is that when it comes to these subjects, everyone has faith in what they believe..
I was once told (on this website) that I have blind Faith after sufficiently providing what I consider to be evidence and facts...which is what lead me to ask this question.
Peace be on you.
IMHO, when one sees universe, one feels there has to Intelligent Maker.
When one hears a truthful person in all worldly matters talks about revelation and God, one feels there has to be God.
These are blind faiths.

One humbly tries to follow the path of God told by experiencedicned person [Prophet/Messenger]
one begin to see practical blessings as promised, then faith is not blind anymore.
It is established faith.

Quran begins with faith in unseen [through hints]
[2:3] This is a perfect Book; there is no doubt in it; it is a guidance for the righteous,
[2:4] Who believe in the unseen and observe Prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them;
[2:5] And who believe in that which has been revealed to thee, and that which was revealed before thee, and they have firm faith in what is yet to come.
[2:6] It is they who follow the guidance of their Lord and it is they who shall prosper.

Quran tells in the end:
[112:2] Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;

That is how initial faith turns into experienced established faith.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So you don't think that Atheists have faith in the theory of evolution (unless there's some other type of explanation Atheists have for mankind being here)? After all, it is a theory.
Plus religion has been around since the beginning of time....all known civilizations and cultures ever recorded throughout history have had "religions".

Well scientific theory is based off direct evidence. It's just theory in the sense that it's not fully understood yet. There already is confirmation by fact upon which the theory is built upon.

The theory of evolution already has been proven to be revelant, like the theory of gravity is in the same way. There are supporting facts.

There however is no confirmation of any soul by which any theory can even be built upon it because it lacks facts by which can be built upon from there. You would need to find a factual instance by which it can be expanded upon first.

Ideas alone, such as that of souls, do not support any such foundation in the same manner as that you have with science theory.

Now it's true religion is man-made and indeed it can be based off man's early development from which religion came about, but it's contentious to think religion preceeded the emergence of man since there are no indications discovered by which anything of the sort exists in the universe that would suggest its been there since, "the beginning of time."

;0)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Scientific Theory. Not in the vernacular sense. A Scientific theory is basically tantamount to fact in Academia.

Besides religious people can believe in the Theory of Evolution. Conversely Athiests can reject the ToE. It's not like you lose your athiest membership card unless you "believe" in the Theory of Evoltion.

rusra02

Premium Member
I much prefer the Bible's description of faith; "Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen." ( Hebrews 11:1) "Evident demonstration" can be rendered "convincing evidence." Thus our faith is evidence based. There is evidence to support what we believe to be true.
The Greek term rendered "assured expectation" was commonly used in business documents and carried the idea of a guarantee. For example, you pay for a large appliance and are given a receipt, with the promise the item will be delivered to you. Faith is like that receipt: a guarantee from God for the hope he holds out.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I much prefer the Bible's description of faith; "Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen." ( Hebrews 11:1) "Evident demonstration" can be rendered "convincing evidence." Thus our faith is evidence based. There is evidence to support what we believe to be true.
It could also mean "personal, subjective experience". Also, it being "not seen" seems to preclude it being actual, observable facts, which seems to discount it being any kind of conventional evidence.

In debate, the word "faith" tends only to come up when someone has their back to the wall and can't support their argument with any kind of reason or evidence, which certainly retracts credibility from any claim that faith is "evidence based". Clearly, it isn't.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
For example, you pay for a large appliance and are given a receipt, with the promise the item will be delivered to you. Faith is like that receipt: a guarantee from God for the hope he holds out.

Not a valid analogy. If the appliance doesn't turn up you have a recourse, you can go back to the store and sort it out.

rusra02

Premium Member
It could also mean "personal, subjective experience". Also, it being "not seen" seems to preclude it being actual, observable facts, which seems to discount it being any kind of conventional evidence.

In debate, the word "faith" tends only to come up when someone has their back to the wall and can't support their argument with any kind of reason or evidence, which certainly retracts credibility from any claim that faith is "evidence based". Clearly, it isn't.

The wind, gravity, and many other things are unseen. This does not make them any less real, nor less evidence-based.
What you describe is not faith, IMO, but credulity.

ArtieE

The wind, gravity, and many other things are unseen. This does not make them any less real, nor less evidence-based.
What you describe is not faith, IMO, but credulity.
Obviously faith can't possibly be evidence based since you can have faith in something for which there is no good evidence.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, I actively avoid using the word "faith" in discussions about religions because it is a word that gets twisted and distorted to fulfill agendas that I do not share, whether it's the faith-based religions emphasizing its virtue, or the anti-religious naysayers emphasizing its folly.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Honestly, I actively avoid using the word "faith" in discussions about religions because it is a word that gets twisted and distorted to fulfill agendas that I do not share, whether it's the faith-based religions emphasizing its virtue, or the anti-religious naysayers emphasizing its folly.
I usually replace faith with the word hope. Works all the same.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Scientific Theory. Not in the vernacular sense. A Scientific theory is basically tantamount to fact in Academia.
Not exactly. Another word for scientific theory is model. Theories are models, not facts. Facts are facts. Hypotheses are guesses about explanations for the facts, or the data that is being looked at. The validity of a model, or "theory" in the scientific sense of the word, is in how useful it is to explain and predict things. Theories are open-ended. Facts are not. Models can be improved and changed. Facts do not change.

Besides religious people can believe in the Theory of Evolution.
Absolutely true. Accepting the Theory of Evolution is not a religious matter, it's an education matter. It's being part of Modernity, not a religious order. People in religion who are modernists, and have an education, are able to not see a conflict between science and faith. Those in premodern realities through culture, have an issues with modern science because it is part of Modernity. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs. It has to do with the frameworks of reality people interpret the world with, faith included.

Conversely Athiests can reject the ToE. It's not like you lose your athiest membership card unless you "believe" in the Theory of Evoltion.
I'd be curious to know what some hypothetical atheist like this believes about the origins of the species then? Any ideas?

Also, I'm not entirely sure I'd agree with you about not being rejected by other atheists if they did. The rules of group dynamics apply to atheists as well as religionists. Anytime you identify as a group, the rules will apply and censoring deviation will still occur to one extent of severity or another. God knows the struggle many "spiritual atheists" have coming from those atheists who proclaim materialism as absolute truth, being called "woo" believers and whatnot. As I said, the same rules apply. It's only the objects of belief and faith that change.

Last edited: