• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blessing a Mjölnir pendant.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Okay, so I'm getting a new Mjölnir pendant for my Birthday and I guess it's coming tomorrow (well, later today, actually since it's technically the morning here).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how to do a simple blessing or dedication of it for Thor's blessing? I don't want it to be just a piece of jewelry, to make myself clear.

Thanks.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I regularly do a variation of a hammer donning ritual I read a long time ago in Thorsson's Book of Troth. Basically hold the mjölnir in front of you and say something along the lines of "may this day bring the best of luck, greatest of deeds, new adventure, more knowledge, and the blessings of Thor/Gods (other names you wish)"

When I first get one I hold it in my hand and pour out a libation to Thor and ask him to bless and protect my self, family, and friends through the mjölnir and through my life. That his strength and honor hallows the mjölnir and raises my strength and honor. I use it to bless house/land regularly after that and for any other smaller and more common ritual I do in place of a full-size hammer.

I don't think I've ever done it the same way twice :)

Something along those lines, moved and altered as inspiration takes you, would be good in my opinion. You could ask that your mjölnir is charged with strength, honor, abundance, goodness, etc. instead of "blessed" with them.... For example. What means most and flows through you personally.

I always have an experience of a sort each time. :D a feeling of power and peace usually.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Great advice, Sees. Thanks, brother.

For the libation, does it have to be mead or something special? Or I can just use a nice lager? I know Thor loves his alcohol. Lol.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Honestly I use more craft beer than mead and I've known some who only use juice or other nonalcoholic drink. I basically try to keep it as an alcohol that isn't cheap and mead when possible and available :D there is a lot of interwoven connection with alcoholic drink and especially mead, going into esoteric aspects and initiation rituals - not just for Germanic/Norse but all the way over to India in ancient times - throughout Info Euro culture.

It's basically sacrificing, gifting, sharing something of value and meaning. Something that cost you a bit, more or less. So we do what we can even if it's just water or apple juice. Most older Ásatrúar I've spoken with share similar thoughts, some newer ones try to add orthopraxy beyond tradition or any personal authority. Your personal preferences will be what they are :)

I'm trying to find the empty bottle of the last mead I had so I can say don't get any....wasn't very good lol

When I have the time to experiment I'll probably be making mead and using it for most all practices.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That sounds good to me. I love lager beer. I don't have any money but I can get beer when my mom gets paid. I'd love to share it with Thor and the other Gods, as it is something I greatly enjoy. I suppose the libation would have to be poured into the earth since it's not something I could give to my cats or other animals to consume. Lol.

I've never had mead, honestly. I should keep an eye out for some.

Sees

Dragonslayer
That sounds good to me. I love lager beer. I don't have any money but I can get beer when my mom gets paid. I'd love to share it with Thor and the other Gods, as it is something I greatly enjoy. I suppose the libation would have to be poured into the earth since it's not something I could give to my cats or other animals to consume. Lol.

I've never had mead, honestly. I should keep an eye out for some.

I tend to do a bowl so I can then pour on the earth and/or use for blessings. It's pretty awesome that etymology ties libation with the word God itself. It connects us to many, many generations who have practiced and experienced similarly going way back. It's a firm geounding that gows beyond the way we precisely view or believe today or tomorow. Also I think the less money and things we have in general actually make it possibly more meaningful because it is more of a sacrifice. Learning to honor the connection and duty we have to other beings and parts of reality by the sacrifice.

When I ever finish my book it will have a huge chapter on how key sacrifice is to...everything. :D Simple, beautiful method that gets more drinks in the house :)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I tend to do a bowl so I can then pour on the earth and/or use for blessings. It's pretty awesome that etymology ties libation with the word God itself. It connects us to many, many generations who have practiced and experienced similarly going way back. It's a firm geounding that gows beyond the way we precisely view or believe today or tomorow. Also I think the less money and things we have in general actually make it possibly more meaningful because it is more of a sacrifice. Learning to honor the connection and duty we have to other beings and parts of reality by the sacrifice.

When I ever finish my book it will have a huge chapter on how key sacrifice is to...everything. :D Simple, beautiful method that gets more drinks in the house :)

That's so true. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it does not only tie you to the Gods and to Nature but also to the ancestors who have made offerings. It creates another link in a chain going back thousands of years. Astonishing, really. :)

The mail came and I'm wearing my new Hammer. It's awesome and beautiful! It's bigger, thicker, heavier and shinier than I thought it would be! It's a beast. Lol. :D