• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blessed be Hashem

• In Judaism, HaShem (lit. "the Name") is used to refer to God, when avoiding God's more formal title, Adonai (lit. "My Master").
Hashem - Wikipedia

Or could Hashem mean or refer to: "And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant." - Genesis 9:26

What is the difference between God and The LORD God?

God is Spirit. No man can see His Face and live.
The LORD is The Father of Christ (J)esus. Moses and Abram(ham) saw His Face and lived.
The LORD God is God within The Father of Christ (J)esus, together, speaking, doing, etc....

God can be and do, 'independently', as seen in Genesis 1:3 "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

And The LORD can also be and do, 'independently', as seen in, Exodus 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle."

And then there is The LORD God together that can be and do, 'together', as seen in Genesis 3:8 "And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden."

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This article here says its not to be pronounced. Which means, by extension, it is not going to be explained, ever. How can it be explained if it cannot be pronounced? Explaining it would be pronouncing it. How many men have died rather then break this prohibition? I think it is hard to count. Many things are not explained within the Bible which are alluded to in the Bible, but this one is forbidden. It is rude to ask about it of a person who is not allowed to speak the name either to explain it or to write an explanation. It is asking them to do what they would not do to save their own lives, and so we cannot expect an explanation even if they happened to know the answer. It is also reasonable to wonder if the particulars about the tetragrammaton have passed out of memory, owing to the numbers of Jews who have been killed over the centuries. Its possible that nobody knows anymore, although its seems like somebody ought to.

I don't think we are trampling the name as it were by attempting to understand the difference between LORD and God. By compulsion we do it. The law of the LORD is not written to just anybody, and we have not agreed to keep it. It is well within our own space to discuss what it might mean, but lets not look for any direct explanation in the Bible or in Wikipedia as it is clear that the word is never to be pronounced except in the temple by the high priest. How would it be explained in the Wikipedia? Common knowledge and common guesses would be put in there as it is edited by anybody.

What we do know is its part of the recitation of the Shema, and the Shema is publicly pronounced. It is a required daily recitation in many religious Jewish circles, not exactly the same thing as what we would call prayer. Most people consider prayer to be something else as the definition has changed over centuries. The Shema is a commitment to hear, which is a commitment to know. It appears to be a covenant or what we would call a treaty and a commitment to keeping it. It reminds me of a sacrifice in this regard. I don't think its made by people. If I take the Psalm in a literal sense then, no, its not made by people. If we look at the Tehilim 1917 JPS which we call Psalms in 103 it says "Know ye that HaShem He is G-d; it is He that hath made us, and we our His..." This is something that makes the people. They recite to know this, but it makes them not the other way around.

In conclusion I think those of us who use the Bible whether fundamentalists or liberal interpreters we should consider the LORD to be an expression of God that makes Israel, but we should consider that God is more than the LORD. This conclusion has many implications for various Christians.

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
hi david-david,

this is a fascinating topic, at least for me. my first stop would be to look at the hebrew in the verses you mentioned.

would u like me to do that?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
hi david-david,

this is a fascinating topic, at least for me. my first stop would be to look at the hebrew in the verses you mentioned.

would u like me to do that?
I would have thought you would want to tackle the problematic opening of the OP's post before even thinking about dealing with the verses of Torah.

DustyFeet

I would have thought you would want to tackle the problematic opening of the OP's post before even thinking about dealing with the verses of Torah.

I just want to help where I can, if I can...

DustyFeet

"

hi david-david,

for me, ( sample size of 1 )

God = LORD God

anytime i say God or G-d, feel free to replace it with LORD G-d.

Among family and friends we say "Thank G-d" almost as much as "Baruch HaShem". Meaning we use the english and hebrew equally. In public we say Baruch HaShem, and I don't know why.

So, any time i say Baruch HaShem ( B"H ), feel free to replace it with Thank G-d, or Praise the LORD.

anytime i say HaShem , you can replace it with Adonai.

Adonai literally translates to "my LORD".

The word Adonai is not a "divine name". There is a "rule", a prohibition, on writing or speaking "divine names". However, as a side note, on certain wiki pages, there are pictures of the divine names written in hebrew, and so far, nothing bad has happened, as far as i know.

hope that helps,

-DF-

edit: one of the closing prayers in the prayer books is called "Adon Olam" "LORD [ of the ] World". It's fun in services because all the kids come up, in their sunday best, and lead it, even tho the little-little ones don't know the words and some don't pronounce it right. but it's so cute and fun.

Last edited:

DustyFeet

A few tidbits about Adon Olam:

From the ArtScroll Interlinear Siddur ( "prayer book" ) for week days:

pg. 426 footnote
"Adon Olam: Master of the universe. Alternatively Master Eternal. This inspiring song of praise is attributed to R'Shlomo ibn Gabriol, who flourished in the 11th century. He was one of the greatest early paytanim [ liturgical poets ]. The song emphasizes that God is timeless, infinite, and omnipotent. Mankind can offer Him only one thing: to proclaim Him as King, by doing His will and praising Him. Despite God's greatness, however, He involves Himself with man's personal needs in time of pain and distress. The prayer concludes on the inspiring note that, lofty though He is, HASHEM is with me, I shall not fear."

The 3rd line of Adon Olam:

" It is He Who was and He Who is and He Who shall remain " in hebrew, these words combine and resolve to the 4 letter name, the famous one, that most people call the the tetragrammaton.

And also notice how the Artscroll fully caps HASHEM, not HaShem.

DustyFeet

That would be adoni.

It sure is.

doh.jpg

DustyFeet

hey david-david,

i found a good example where we, as jews, use the word LORD... it's from the 1st psalm...

Nature of 'Good and Evil'

and going back to the hebrew in the 1st psalm, it's the famous 4 letter name. So there ya go. evidence supporting my claim that we **are** talking the same language.

with much love and great respect,

-DF-

Neutral Name

• In Judaism, HaShem (lit. "the Name") is used to refer to God, when avoiding God's more formal title, Adonai (lit. "My Master").
Hashem - Wikipedia

Or could Hashem mean or refer to: "And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant." - Genesis 9:26

God is Spirit. No man can see His Face and live.
The LORD is The Father of Christ (J)esus. Moses and Abram(ham) saw His Face and lived.
The LORD God is God within The Father of Christ (J)esus, together, speaking, doing, etc....

God can be and do, 'independently', as seen in Genesis 1:3 "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

And The LORD can also be and do, 'independently', as seen in, Exodus 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle."

And then there is The LORD God together that can be and do, 'together', as seen in Genesis 3:8 "And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden."

What??!!! God and the Lord God are the same person.