• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blessed Autumn Equinox

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I hope everyone had a great Autumn Equinox (Vernal Equinox for our Southern Hemisphere folk), and found a way to celebrate it's significance to you.

For me I celebrated the productivity and prosperity of summer, giving way into the darker and slower, but not necessarily calmer, winter season. I made sacrifices to the Gods, Ancestors, and Spirits of the Land; with a large bonfire, and a prayer of thanks.

Did you, or will you do anything to celebrate the Equinox? If so, what did you do?

Bear Wild

I hope everyone had a great Autumn Equinox (Vernal Equinox for our Southern Hemisphere folk), and found a way to celebrate it's significance to you.

For me I celebrated the productivity and prosperity of summer, giving way into the darker and slower, but not necessarily calmer, winter season. I made sacrifices to the Gods, Ancestors, and Spirits of the Land; with a large bonfire, and a prayer of thanks.

Did you, or will you do anything to celebrate the Equinox? If so, what did you do?

We got rained out of our traditional outdoor ceremonial fire so I lit a candle, laid out an offering to my relatives outdoors (mainly raccoons and opossums but an occasional skunk), and gave thanks to Herthra for still keeping us humans alive despite our disregard for protecting the earth. Oh and gave thanks that the daylight will be shorter so that maybe it will get cooler soon.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
We got rained out of our traditional outdoor ceremonial fire so I lit a candle, laid out an offering to my relatives outdoors (mainly raccoons and opossums but an occasional skunk), and gave thanks to Herthra for still keeping us humans alive despite our disregard for protecting the earth. Oh and gave thanks that the daylight will be shorter so that maybe it will get cooler soon.

I made seasonal sacrifices to Thor and Sif, as this is the final harvest of the year in the North. As well as Nerthus for her continual support.

Getting rained on is not necessarily a bad thing. I am definitely looking forward to some cooler weather, though. The rain is supposed to hit us tomorrow.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I did a couple of things.

I have a formal ritual written up, but I tend to prefer improvisational so that's what I did. It was loosely based on the formal one and focused on Autumn Equinox being the first and most important harvest festival. I contemplate four things I am thankful for, based on correspondence to the Four Elements. What came out of that this year was interesting. Because my worldview is very ecocentric, I tend to be very dismissive of myself and my existence. I generally view my existence as unimportant and not valuable. Giving thanks, then, goes to things external. This year was different. I actually acknowledged "thank gods for me."

Later in the day I went to visit some of the local gods/spirits as I felt the compulsion to. On that trip I had one of those mystical experiences that Pagans often get. In the moment, I became keenly aware of the other persons around me, all with their own lives and needs: the lake, the willow, the clover, the frog, the winds, the goldfinch, all of it. With that awareness came a sublime knowledge that all these gods/spirits are of indescribable grandeur and how small my person is in relation to that grandeur. It reminded me of why I am a solidly gnostic theist. I witness the gods on a daily basis, even if the sublime experience I had yesterday isn't as routine. They are all still higher powers, fundamentally greater than myself, without whom I simply do not exist.

One thing that didn't get done this year was a black walnut harvest. I'd been keeping an eye on the trees and between the land-hurricane we got and the drought (and it not being a mast year), the harvest was bound to not be so good so it is better for me to leave that food to the critters this year. Plus, if you've ever done, you know it's a real labor. I may go out looking yet just for a few... we'll see. :D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I did a couple of things.

I have a formal ritual written up, but I tend to prefer improvisational so that's what I did. It was loosely based on the formal one and focused on Autumn Equinox being the first and most important harvest festival. I contemplate four things I am thankful for, based on correspondence to the Four Elements. What came out of that this year was interesting. Because my worldview is very ecocentric, I tend to be very dismissive of myself and my existence. I generally view my existence as unimportant and not valuable. Giving thanks, then, goes to things external. This year was different. I actually acknowledged "thank gods for me."

Later in the day I went to visit some of the local gods/spirits as I felt the compulsion to. On that trip I had one of those mystical experiences that Pagans often get. In the moment, I became keenly aware of the other persons around me, all with their own lives and needs: the lake, the willow, the clover, the frog, the winds, the goldfinch, all of it. With that awareness came a sublime knowledge that all these gods/spirits are of indescribable grandeur and how small my person is in relation to that grandeur. It reminded me of why I am a solidly gnostic theist. I witness the gods on a daily basis, even if the sublime experience I had yesterday isn't as routine. They are all still higher powers, fundamentally greater than myself, without whom I simply do not exist.

One thing that didn't get done this year was a black walnut harvest. I'd been keeping an eye on the trees and between the land-hurricane we got and the drought (and it not being a mast year), the harvest was bound to not be so good so it is better for me to leave that food to the critters this year. Plus, if you've ever done, you know it's a real labor. I may go out looking yet just for a few... we'll see. :D

This sounds like a good time, and a beneficial reflection for the turning of the seasons. I did a formal ritual this time around, I usually do them improvisationally too, but am currently recording mine down for the year. At the end of the rite, I used a branch from my bonfire, to light 3 candles which I placed in a lantern for my indoor altar; I left these to burn in commemoration of the darkening months ahead, and as a reminder to stay Strong, and Light(hearted) during them.

I have never harvested walnuts before, but I too missed my chance at foraging this year, as all the Blackberries are dried out now. There is always next year, and mushroom season is occuring very soon

Friend of Mara

Blessed Samhain or Merry Equinox! Witch-ever you prefer! Me and some eclectics/others have a bonfire planned. Though I plan on doing a little more since this is a very special Samhain which interlocks with the Blue Moon. I am excited to see how the energies of solar and lunar connect.