• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blending of Christian traditions with Pagan traditions

FFH

Veteran Member
Is this a fair thing to do? Is this not confusing to the minds of young adults and young children, not to mention adults? I was very confused as a child. I did not even know what I was celebrating at times. So many misconceptions and conflicting stories of the origins of holidays in America. It is confusing to say the least. What are we celebrating during Christmas? The blending of two religions? Paganism and Christianity? I know the obvious answers. I would like to dive deaper into this.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I think it's impossible to avoid blending faiths. Cultures are becoming easier and easier to learn about, and it's make cultural exchange all the easier. Does it mean something isn't Christian or Pagan or Taoist or what have you just because it's changed and taken ideas from other cultures? In my opinion, no, it doesn't. It just means it's moving with the times, which is good. You can't keep a 30-something AD mindset for thousands of years.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Faith_is_an_assurance said:
Is this a fair thing to do ? Is this not confusing to the minds of young adults and young children, not to mention adults. I was very confused as a child. I did not even know what I was celebrating at times. So many misconceptions and conflicting stories of the origins of holidays in America. It is confusing to say the least. What are we celebrating juring Christmas ? The blending of two religions ? Paganism and Christianity ? I know the obvious answers. I would like to dive deaper into this. It is late and I don't expect too much response at this hour. This is my first post ever and will repost this again if necessary.
Good point, and that is something I think about a lot of the time. many branches of Christianity are structured with what I would call 'great disciplines'; examples are (from the Christian forum alone:
Catholicism
Eastern Orthodox
Episcopal/Anglican
Gnosticism
Non-Denominational
Christadelphians
Christian Scientist
Jehovah's Witnesses
Unitarian Christians
Oriental Orthodox
Anabaptists
Baptist
Calvinists
Lutheran
Methodist
Pentacostal
Presbyterian
Reformed Churches
Religious society of friends
United Church of Christ
Churches of Christ
Disciples of Christ
Latter Day Saints
Seventh-day Adventist Church
Liberal Christianity

Out of which there are ay least 5 that I know of that are 'Set in Concrete' (bad way of describing them, because it sounds pejorative-and it is not meant to be). I guess what I am trying to say is that five of the above (plus probably some of which I don't know enough to include them) are religions with strict disciplines.

The others ? - well, the feeling I get is that there are enough people who want something 'different' and have formed a separate denomination (and that means they have enough members who feel the same).

I myself have a problem in rellating Fully to Christianity (although I believe in the major tenets - as I see them of Christianity). I would include aspects of other faiths and phylosophies.

Is this not confusing to the minds of young adults and young children, not to mention adults
I'd say 'Yes', and probably is the reason I came to this forum. Though I am not sure that I feel 'more comfortable' Now than when I joined, because I am now aware of so much more diversity than when I first came here.:D

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Jensa, michel, I agree. If we remember the story of the Good Samaritan, it teaches to look past typical stereotypes and look at the person. Be compassionate towards other and their beliefs.

Solon

Whether or not Christians like it, most of their festivals are borrowed from the Pagan World. That is an acknowledgement that peoples inherent beliefs were not so easily overturned by that intolerant instrument of the Nazerine, The Roman Church. You should enjoy the festivals, and enjoy the continuem with your ancient roots and the Old Gods. No matter what faith you follow today.

Solon

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Solon said:
Whether or not Christians like it, most of their festivals are borrowed from the Pagan World. That is an acknowledgement that peoples inherent beliefs were not so easily overturned by that intolerant instrument of the Nazerine, The Roman Church. You should enjoy the festivals, and enjoy the continuem with your ancient roots and the Old Gods. No matter what faith you follow today.

Solon
I don't see why Christians 'wouldn't like it'; much the same as most English Churches are built on Pagan sites..........

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Jensa said:
I think it's impossible to avoid blending faiths. Cultures are becoming easier and easier to learn about, and it's make cultural exchange all the easier. Does it mean something isn't Christian or Pagan or Taoist or what have you just because it's changed and taken ideas from other cultures? In my opinion, no, it doesn't. It just means it's moving with the times, which is good. You can't keep a 30-something AD mindset for thousands of years.
Good point!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
If you blend beauty with beauty, one oftentimes comes up with something even more beautiful. Consider, for example, when one is using an inkstone and paints something in gray and then adds a touch of yellow. Two beautiful colors, and they combine to look like the sun dancing off of clouds. (There's also the opposite of this, when a wretched color makes an otherwise beautiful color look dreadful. For example, when the Nazi party 'kidnapped' bits of the Astaru religion to further its own purposes.) I suppose that a worry that people might have, in this analogy, would be that, once the two 'colors' are combined, it's difficult to seperate them. If your intent is to keep them seperate, please, by all means do so. I feel that it's important to acknowledge those things to celebrate in other faiths- almost as important as in one's own faith. However, if one believes that theirs is the only path to Diety, I suppose it would be detrimental to their perceptions of their own faith to do that.

Reactions: FFH

Draka

Wonder Woman
Okay, now for the post that I'm sure will tick off many people. Having seen this discussion in more than just this thread, one thing has kept coming to my mind. Christianity WANTED to take on Pagan traditions. This goes way back. There were people who already had religion, religious traditions, religious holidays. The Church was adament about conversion. Anyone who defied the Church's beliefs were deemed heretics. They were serious about turning everyone not only Christian, but subservient to the power of the Church. What better way to aid conversion of people than to simply take the holidays and traditions they already have and incorporate them into "Christian" things? This makes the changing over from one religion to another easier. You can keep doing the things you are doing...but with another meaning to what you are doing.

Thus you have the basis of today's traditions.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Draka hit the nail on the head! That was the early church's reason for success. An excerpt from the geurilla manual on the subject:

I Corinthians 9:19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. NIV

So for all of you Christians out there trying to make EVERYONE ELSE conform to YOUR views, you are missing the boat! :149: Paul says infiltrate the enemy by becoming one with them. Even Jesus used that ploy, EATING and DRINKING (alcohol) with the Tax Collectors and other sinners. We will assimilate you by letting you assimilate us! We are the Holy Virus! Bwahahaha! :D

Draka

Wonder Woman
NetDoc said:
Sorry: We will assimilate you ! Bwahahahaha!
You know, you saying that just makes me think. No wonder Faith talks about confusion. It's not really Christians assimilating others as it is them assimilating themselves. Sure, the original idea was to bring more to the flock. But all it has accomplished now is a losing of themselves. Christianity has adopted so many others beliefs, traditions, holidays, symbols and so on, that they don't know where the Christian part of anything begins or the adopted part ends. It's so messed up now that what is Christian anymore can be doubted. Which is basically like I said in another thread. Most people just are going with the flow now because after all these hundreds of years it is all they know.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Draka said:
can keep doing the things you are doing...but with another meaning to what you are doing. Thus you have the basis of today's traditions.
You hit the nail on the head, Draka. People don't own traditions and they don't own symbols. So what if Christians adopted the Christmas tree from pagan sources! It's a Christian tradition now! I worship Jesus Christ at Christmas and all year round. If I decorate a tree with lights and ornaments to celebrate the birth of my Savior, I'm sure He's not offended. He knows what's in my heart by how I treat people. How I decorate my home is of little consequence to Him. As for symbols, there is hardly one anyone can name that hasn't been used by a variety of people to stand for a variety of things. In my opinion, this blending of traditions nonsense is much ado about nothing.

Scuba Pete

Draka said:
It's so messed up now that what is Christian anymore can be doubted.
If I may respectfully disagree:

Christianity has but two laws:

1) Love God

2) Love Everyone Else.

Everything else is just details and opinions.

Christianity was NEVER meant to usurp a culture, but rather be embraced by them all. In that vein, we are able to have fun from MANY cultures, and that is an example of diversity way before the recent concept was developed. That many groups CLAIMING to be Christian tried to force their respective cultures on others just kills me.

FFH

Veteran Member
Draka said:
You know, you saying that just makes me think. No wonder Faith talks about confusion. It's not really Christians assimilating others as it is them assimilating themselves. Sure, the original idea was to bring more to the flock. But all it has accomplished now is a losing of themselves. Christianity has adopted so many others beliefs, traditions, holidays, symbols and so on, that they don't know where the Christian part of anything begins or the adopted part ends. It's so messed up now that what is Christian anymore can be doubted. Which is basically like I said in another thread. Most people just are going with the flow now because after all these hundreds of years it is all they know.
This sums up my feelings on this subject very well.

You read my mind on this subject, and stated my feelings on this, exactly.

You are definitely in tune with what I am trying to convey.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
If I may respectfully disagree:

Christianity has but two laws:

1) Love God

2) Love Everyone Else.
If I may respectfully disagree : Christ had two laws. Christianity does not.

This is why I have limitless respect for Christ. And none for a church.

Scuba Pete

Of course you can!

However, real Christianity follows ONLY what Jesus taught and not man made rules.

Since they are made up of humans, churches display various levels of understanding these laws, as well as having their fair share of character flaws.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
Of course you can!

However, real Christianity follows ONLY what Jesus taught and not man made rules.

Since they are made up of humans, churches display various levels of understanding these laws, as well as having their fair share of character flaws.
Very true, NetDoc! If I believed that everything in the bible was the teaching of Christ (or the Father) I would be a Christian. Unfortunately I'm very untrusting of humans, and the Catholic Church (who are the people who decided what went in the New Testament) more than most. Jesus, son of God or not, was a great man that according to Roman records of the time lived in Judea and preached peace and love.

Truly a good man be he Mortal or Deity.