• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blasphemy

Watchmen

Premium Member
Why would you have a need to talk badly about other religions? Is that not the ego that make someone want to trash talk other peoples belief?
What is morally right and what is legally right often are not the same thing.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What is morally right and what is legally right often are not the same thing.
would it morally right?

to realize a bad perspective in a religious practice
and then say nothing

but of course....if you point out the fault
the believers....want your head

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Here in the UK the crazy blasphemy law was repealed in 2008, it should never have been a crime in the first place. One should be able to say exactly what one wishes about any religion and its god, especially as they are more than likely to be human creations which don't exist in reality.

What’s the difference between flaming on a forum and getting banned and flaming in public and it being a crime?

If one goes around flaming people on this forum it will result in a ban maybe permanent because civil, respectful discussion is humane whereas verbal abuse can be insulting and hurtful no matter it be religious talk or small,talk.

I think moderation is the key. While freedom of expression should be encouraged, such things as racism and verbal abuse should not be tolerated.

The tongue has been given us to communicate not for use as a sword or weapon and it’s use as a weapon should be, in my humble view , strongly discouraged.

QuestioningMind

It is interesting that nowadays blasphemy is accepted, but if you deny climate change, say something against homosexuality, don’t accept feminism, or are critical to unlawful immigration, it is like you would be guilty to blasphemy. Can’t avoid to think that modern day god is the “liberalism” that accepts all kind of injustice, but not reason, truth or justice.

Talk about a false equivalency. People who deny climate change, speak against homosexuals, don't accept feminism, or are critical of unlawful immigration are not and never have been charged with any crimes for voicing their beliefs. The worst they have to face are other people in society who don't agree with their points of view. Hardly the same thing. So sad that so many conservatives seem to think that they are being persecuted, when in reality they're simply being forced to face the consequences of what they say and do.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Blasphemy - A victim less crime

Blasphemy isn't a crime, but the blind use of it is self-abuse, akin to drug addiction in my opinion.

Deities don't fully exist in vacuums, part of us are them and they are us. I think there is a real reality to this, not just "ideas" or archetypes but even if they are, they are tools for liberation. Hence to blaspheme all gods without respect of what they represent is self-abuse because it is harming your potential spiritual and personal growth.

In other words, blind hate is ignorance, and ignorance will prevent growth.

Watchmen

Premium Member
would it morally right?

to realize a bad perspective in a religious practice
and then say nothing

but of course....if you point out the fault
the believers....want your head
It could be morally right or wrong to criticize a religion. Depends on the circumstances.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The UK is not just England you know. It comprises Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well. I live in Wales, I am not Welsh, nor was I born in the UK, although I am British.

Ahhh, a brain fry moment for me...of course the UK. My mother is from Northern ireland and father from London. I was born in Mew Zealand though.

I see the whole Brexit deal is still up in the air and rejected by parliament.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Here in the UK the crazy blasphemy law was repealed in 2008, it should never have been a crime in the first place. One should be able to say exactly what one wishes about any religion and its god, especially as they are more than likely to be human creations which don't exist in reality.

I disagree.

Freedom of speech means free to share how you feel. But it's used instead to trash others
Freedom of religion means free to believe what you want. But it's used instead to trash belief of others

The problem is that people too much like to think "what others should do"
If all people just stick to their own business blasphemy would not be an issue

Shantanu

This is an interesting topic. Where does one draw the line in what is blasphemy and what is not. When one considers that all the gods and goddesses that people relate to exist in Space and people take their guidance from these gods and goddesses they are entitled to that truth because that truth exists in reality. Of course there is no scientific evidence for it but Science should be seen to be in its infancy and can easily be disputed in the future, so that a different Reality is then perceived. That is why I say that there are infinite realities depending on individuals and even as one matures in age and learning.

So what does a blasphemy law have anything to do with this scenario. It is that individuals are entitled to their truths as these are genuinely held beliefs, so that any person writing or uttering criticisms of those truths can be seen in law as committing a hate crime of sorts. So effectively the law of blasphemy does not relate to the generally accepted truth but to individually accepted truths. So blasphemy laws in modern free and democratic states are legally unenforceable because no judge will know what is the actual truth except for highly enlightened individuals like myself:)

States can say that any person uttering sentiments that run against the official religion of the State (as in Islamic Republics) are committing blasphemy and they would be right. The UK has an official religion of the Anglican Church but church numbers are dwindling so few people believe in Christianity in a multicultural environment so that blasphemy law against the official religion of the State is unenforceable as belonging to a particular religion means you are effectively blaspheming against other religions by what you do and say.

The State has to explicity state that it is a Christian or a Islamic or a Hindu or Buddhist State for any blasphemy law to be legitimate, so that practitioners of other faiths have a choice of leaving the country and finding somewhere else to live.

But truth is not just about official religions, it is a state of mind and ones actions whether they are truth-oriented or based on lies and deceit. Does any State claim to be based on truth to be able to charge an individual with blasphemy. Truth is forever being ascertained through human endeavours, and we are heading towards the goal of total and Ultimate Truth, the Reality.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is an interesting topic. Where does one draw the line in what is blasphemy and what is not. When one considers that all the gods and goddesses that people relate to exist in Space and people take their guidance from these gods and goddesses they are entitled to that truth because that truth exists in reality. Of course there is no scientific evidence for it but Science should be seen to be in its infancy and can easily be disputed in the future, so that a different Reality is then perceived. That is why I say that there are infinite realities depending on individuals and even as one matures in age and learning.

So what does a blasphemy law have anything to do with this scenario. It is that individuals are entitled to their truths as these are genuinely held beliefs, so that any person writing or uttering criticisms of those truths can be seen in law as committing a hate crime of sorts. So effectively the law of blasphemy does not relate to the generally accepted truth but to individually accepted truths. So blasphemy laws in modern free and democratic states are legally unenforceable because no judge will know what is the actual truth except for highly enlightened individuals like myself:)

States can say that any person uttering sentiments that run against the official religion of the State (as in Islamic Republics) are committing blasphemy and they would be right. The UK has an official religion of the Anglican Church but church numbers are dwindling so few people believe in Christianity in a multicultural environment so that blasphemy law against the official religion of the State is unenforceable as belonging to a particular religion means you are effectively blaspheming against other religions by what you do and say.

The State has to explicity state that it is a Christian or a Islamic or a Hindu or Buddhist State for any blasphemy law to be legitimate, so that practitioners of other faiths have a choice of leaving the country and finding somewhere else to live.

But truth is not just about official religions, it is a state of mind and ones actions whether they are truth-oriented or based on lies and deceit. Does any State claim to be based on truth to be able to charge an individual with blasphemy. Truth is forever being ascertained through human endeavours, and we are heading towards the goal of total and Ultimate Truth, the Reality.

Blasphemy is if you say something hurtful or bad about other religions then your own beliefs. or born holybooks from spiritual paths

Altfish

Veteran Member
Blasphemy isn't a crime, but the blind use of it is self-abuse, akin to drug addiction in my opinion.

Deities don't fully exist in vacuums, part of us are them and they are us. I think there is a real reality to this, not just "ideas" or archetypes but even if they are, they are tools for liberation. Hence to blaspheme all gods without respect of what they represent is self-abuse because it is harming your potential spiritual and personal growth.

In other words, blind hate is ignorance, and ignorance will prevent growth.
Blasphemy is not blind hate.
Blasphemy is saying or doing something against a being that doesn't exist.
If you criticise my politics, there's no law against that
If you criticise my musical taste, there's no law against that.
If you criticise my Mum & Dad there's no law against that.

So why is there a law against criticising imaginary friends?

Shantanu

Blasphemy is if you say something hurtful or bad about other religions then your own beliefs. or born holybooks from spiritual paths
Every person pursues a spiritual path, so that any criticism of another person is blasphemous then.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Blasphemy is not blind hate.
Blasphemy is saying or doing something against a being that doesn't exist.
If you criticise my politics, there's no law against that
If you criticise my musical taste, there's no law against that.
If you criticise my Mum & Dad there's no law against that.

So why is there a law against criticising imaginary friends?
Because it is a spiritual belief, just because you do not belive in something does not give a right to make bad comments on others belief. just like spiritual people must respect atheists.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Every person pursues a spiritual path, so that any criticism of another person is blasphemous then.
If it has to do with their god/buddha yes one should not make fun or make evil comments on someones belief, but asking question in a polite way is of course ok.

But example making fun in cartoon of Muslim prophet is a very bad way of blasphemy

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
If it has to do with their god/buddha yes one should not make fun or make evil comments on someones belief, but asking question in a polite way is of course ok.

But example making fun in cartoon of Muslim prophet is a very bad way of blasphemy
I agree that it is rude and unseemly to make fun of another person's religion, i.e. by mocking Muhammad in a cartoon picture.

However, it is still the RIGHT of people to be rude. They should be free to be rude without fear of stoning, imprisonment, etc.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I agree that it is rude and unseemly to make fun of another person's religion, i.e. by mocking Muhammad in a cartoon picture.

However, it is still the RIGHT of people to be rude. They should be free to be rude without fear of stoning, imprisonment, etc.
Why should we be rude toward others? i dont get that at all.