• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Man Becomes Secretary of Defense: Wide-Spread Genocide Against White Males Immanent

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm at the place where I can pick up a character here and there and recognize characters after they are translated :))). But I am only at HSK II/III and so am quite far from being able to read a website.

In some ways, I am finding it easier than learning French because everything is so different. There aren't words that are similar to mess things up. Also, there isn't conjugation of verbs in the way that you get for most alphabetic languages.
Thanks for telling me that. I was amazed that Google translate gives such nice seemingly consistent Chinese translations, well readable, which is not always the case with other languages. But maybe that is because Chinese does not have this what you call "conjugation of verbs". Maybe Chinese is a language quite well suitable for computer translation, once they have entered all these Chinese Characters (Hanzi; I had to google that:D). If this is true, then it's nice, makes it easier to trust the Google (Chinese to English) translations.

Does this make sense, or did I misinterpret what you wrote?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for telling me that. I was amazed that Google translate gives such nice seemingly consistent Chinese translations, well readable, which is not always the case with other languages. But maybe that is because Chinese does not have this what you call "conjugation of verbs". Maybe Chinese is a language quite well suitable for computer translation, once they have entered all these Chinese Characters (Hanzi; I had to google that:D). If this is true, then it's nice, makes it easier to trust the Google (Chinese to English) translations.

Does this make sense, or did I misinterpret what you wrote?

Yes, it does. I found the English-->Chinese direction is more fraught with errors.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Yes, it does. I found the English-->Chinese direction is more fraught with errors.
Thank you for the feedback, that is good to know that "English-->Chinese" is more fraught with errors than "Chinese-->English".

I have also noticed that I better stick to English when using Google translate and not to Dutch. This might be due to Dutch grammar being more difficult than English grammar (computer wise) OR probably because there are more people working hard to perfect the English Google translate