• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Holes

Thief

Rogue Theologian
a little more than another thread.....

Can God create a black hole so deep He can't get out of it?

Can a black hole be.....the bottomless pit?

and wasn't the primordial singularity.....such an item?

siti

No, no and no - in that order.

A black hole is actually the incredibly dense remnant of a dead star that, being incredibly dense, has an incredibly strong gravitational effect on its surroundings. Matter and energy get sucked in never to be seen or heard of again. I suppose it is possible that God will one day fall into a black hole - that will be the same day that all believers fall into a black hole and neither they, nor God are ever heard of again.Of course the unbelievers will suffer the same fate, ending once and for all the never-ending controversy about the origins of the universe they were once (arguably - except that there will be nobody left to argue) the most intelligent part of.

The primordial singularity probably never existed - though I guess it is remotely possible that the current universe was the result of the catastrophic collapse of a previous one which might very well have resembled a hyper-massive black hole. If that's the case, then God somehow got out of that one. So maybe the universe is, after all and despite the best efforts of the scientifically-literate, destined to misunderstand its own origins for eternity.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, no and no - in that order.

A black hole is actually the incredibly dense remnant of a dead star that, being incredibly dense, has an incredibly strong gravitational effect on its surroundings. Matter and energy get sucked in never to be seen or heard of again. I suppose it is possible that God will one day fall into a black hole - that will be the same day that all believers fall into a black hole and neither they, nor God are ever heard of again.

The primordial singularity probably never existed - though I guess it is remotely possible that the current universe was the result of the catastrophic collapse of a previous one which might very well have resembled a hyper-massive black hole. If that's the case, then God somehow got out of that one. So maybe the universe is destined to misunderstand its own origins for eternity.
ok....so starting at the beginning....

I do believe God did escape the void
He did so by drawing 'whatever' to one location by His will
which took the form of gravity

having a 'form' in place....the void was no longer 'without form'

I further speculate.....the recoil of the 'crush' is what we call the 'bang'

more so.....the spin and rotation of the expansion is evidence of the 'pinch and snap' of God's 'fingers'
which would need to be there BEFORE the expansion begins

Had the expansion behaved as a simple explosion.....all of substance would be moving outward
in one hollow sphere of a percussion wave
one pulse

but that is not what we see when we look up

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes it is - its the 3-dimensional surface of a 4-dimensional sphere - perhaps.
I was speaking of the spins and rotations
the expansion would be a single pulse.....if not for rotation BEFORE the 'bang'

siti

I was speaking of the spins and rotations
the expansion would be a single pulse.....if not for rotation BEFORE the 'bang'
Ah! Yes there are mysteries yet to be explained - anistropy in the CMWB radiation, asymmetry in terms of matter and anti-matter - and I dunno - spin and rotation? Perhaps that too. None of this is satisfactorily explained by an actual singularity - which by definition would be infinitely ordered and, presumably, symmetrical. But if it had been like that, notwithstanding that there would have been no matter after a few Planck times - as all the matter and anti-matter would have annihilated each other, there certainly would have been no galaxies - all the matter would have dispersed evenly and not clumped together - no clumping together of matter, no gravity (to speak of). No gravity, no spin and rotation...I suppose.

But all that mystery goes away if it was something (rather than nothing) that banged. Then the asymmetry and anisotropy might be a function of whatever the universe was before it became the universe at the Big Bang. But we still wouldn't know what it was because what it became erased the evidence in the process of becoming, i.e. the Big Bang event wiped the rap sheet clean and we will probably never find out what (or who) caused it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Ah! Yes there are mysteries yet to be explained - anistropy in the CMWB radiation, asymmetry in terms of matter and anti-matter - and I dunno - spin and rotation? Perhaps that too. None of this is satisfactorily explained by an actual singularity - which by definition would be infinitely ordered and, presumably, symmetrical. But if it had been like that, notwithstanding that there would have been no matter after a few Planck times - as all the matter and anti-matter would have annihilated each other, there certainly would have been no galaxies - all the matter would have dispersed evenly and not clumped together - no clumping together of matter, no gravity (to speak of). No gravity, no spin and rotation...I suppose.

But all that mystery goes away if it was something (rather than nothing) that banged. Then the asymmetry and anisotropy might be a function of whatever the universe was before it became the universe at the Big Bang. But we still wouldn't know what it was because what it became erased the evidence in the process of becoming, i.e. the Big Bang event wiped the rap sheet clean and we will probably never find out what (or who) caused it.
your first paragraph speaks of the void....it was perfect
uniform without form

Light is an aberration
but it's difficult to say....I AM!
without something to show for it

siti

your first paragraph speaks of the void....it was perfect
uniform without form
No - it speaks of the kind of universe that would have emerged from a perfectly uniform singularity exploding into a a perfectly uniform void. But, to use your own words, "that is not what we see when we look up"

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No - it speaks of the kind of universe that would have emerged from a perfectly uniform singularity exploding into a a perfectly uniform void. But, to use your own words, "that is not what we see when we look up"
confusion?...let me try again...

if the expansion was simple.....it would be a hollow sphere of energy ever increasing in size
altogether uniform

but that's not what we see when we look up
the rotation MUST be in play BEFORE the substance is turned loose

There are such things as things that are impossible even for something presumed omnipotent because of the law of non-contradiction. The question contains premises that contradict one another and these premises are only speculations.
Here are some examples of how the question breaks down, If God does not occupy time or space, His entering anything physical is meaningless. Can there be a such a thing as omnipotence? The question sets a counterexample that true omnipotence is impossible because the concept contradicts itself. What does it mean to say that God is perfect?

1robin

Christian/Baptist

This is a silly argument that any freshman in philosophy can recognize as irrational.

God can only do what is logically coherent. Rocks so heavy he can't lift them, married bachelors, square circles, and black holes so deep God can't get out of them are logically incoherent and so are not actualize-able.

Also there is no such thing as a natural infinite either.

This is a silly argument that any freshman in philosophy can recognize as irrational.

God can only do what is logically coherent. Rocks so heavy he can't lift them, married bachelors, square circles, and black holes so deep God can't get out of them are logically incoherent and so are not actualize-able.

No more than there is a wardrobe for a hermaphroditic transvestite.

Maybe you should first try to prove a god exists, before you make claim that a god can create universal entities.

*sighs*

Thief

Rogue Theologian

yeah....I posed the op with the answer in it

but you say there is no infinite?
I have seen a theoretical physicist display an equation with a result.....infinity+infinity+infinity....infinitely

he then struck a thoughtful pose for the camera as he narrates himself.....
'physicist have a problem with infinity.'

but the number do lean to point.....
somethings go on forever