• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black baby lives matter

whirlingmerc

Over a third (35%) of abortions are black children even though only about an eighth (13%) of the population of the US is black. It seems a serious unspoken concern. One democrat congressman said that it was racial profiling to bring that up.... but is it? An irony with the democratic party is that at one time Jesse Jackson and the civil rights leaders opposed such but then Jesse ran for President and because it was a politically untenable position for a democrat the 'acceptable' became 'acceptable' and should it?

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/11/28/...-even-though-blacks-are-13-of-the-population/

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Over a third of abortions are black children even though only about an either of the population of the US is black. It seems a serious unspoken concern. One democrat congressman said that it was racial profiling to bring that up.... but is it? An irony with the democratic party is that at one time Jesse Jackson and the civil rights leaders opposed such but then Jesse ran for President and because it was a politically untenable position for a democrat the 'acceptable' became 'acceptable' and should it?

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/11/28/...-even-though-blacks-are-13-of-the-population/
It is a terrible thing. Abortion rates tend to be higher for people who are economically disadvantaged. Right or wrong a lot of women choose to have abortions because in their perceptions they don't have a choice. This situation can be improved greatly by providing affordable education, so these women can get ahead. Providing affordable child care, affordable healthcare, a reasonable minimum wage and providing a social safety net that makes young women feel secure will go a long way to reducing the abortion rates. Not to mention sex ed and birth control.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
It is a terrible thing. Abortion rates tend to be higher for people who are economically disadvantaged. Right or wrong a lot of women choose to have abortions because in their perceptions they don't have a choice. This situation can be improved greatly by providing affordable education, so these women can get ahead. Providing affordable child care, affordable healthcare, a reasonable minimum wage and providing a social safety net that makes young women feel secure will go a long way to reducing the abortion rates. Not to mention sex ed and birth control.
I agree 100%, but this would mean higher taxes. Just the mention of such an "atrocity" would send many running for the hills, despite the good it could do!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I agree 100%, but this would mean higher taxes. Just the mention of such an "atrocity" would send many running for the hills, despite the good it could do!
Not only would the things I mention be effective in reducing the abortion rate, but they are among the best ways to stimulate the economy and build a solid middle class. Solid investment all the way round.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Not only would the things I mention be effective in reducing the abortion rate, but they are among the best ways to stimulate the economy and build a solid middle class. Solid investment all the way round.
I could not agree more. Investments in the areas you mentioned would give a sizable return on investment across the board, I would think. A tax hike with those benefits? That is something I could get behind.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Over a third of abortions are black children even though only about an either of the population of the US is black. It seems a serious unspoken concern. One democrat congressman said that it was racial profiling to bring that up.... but is it? An irony with the democratic party is that at one time Jesse Jackson and the civil rights leaders opposed such but then Jesse ran for President and because it was a politically untenable position for a democrat the 'acceptable' became 'acceptable' and should it?

I don't understand your point. Are you saying people are afraid to call out that community for its behavior because it would be viewed as a racist attck?

It sounds to me like black women are disproportionately having unprotected sex when they do not wish to become pregnant. It is an example of bad behavior where blaming others just does not make sense.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I don't understand your point.

It sounds to me like black women are disproportionately having unprotected sex when they do not wish to become pregnant.
Probably because they cannot afford contraceptives, and very few government programs at the state or federal levels will pay for contraceptives, much less abortions...

Edit: Along with abstinence-only sex ed in public schools...

Quetzal

Premium Member
Probably because they cannot afford contraceptives, and very few government programs at the state or federal levels will pay for contraceptives, much less abortions...
Oh for God's sake!! Society is to blame again, right?
This is big deal, despite some dialogue to the contrary. I did not realize how expensive something like birth control can be. As a man, it isn't that bad. But for women, especially those who do not have insurance, birth control can be a burden for them. For this reason, I am in support of organizations like Planned Parenthood. They offer affordable options that might not be available otherwise. The blame is irrelevant because the problem remains regardless of who is to blame. One way to address this is to continue to invest in these programs on the federal and state level. That is just my two cents.

George-ananda

Premium Member
This is big deal, despite some dialogue to the contrary. I did not realize how expensive something like birth control can be. As a man, it isn't that bad. But for women, especially those who do not have insurance, birth control can be a burden for them. For this reason, I am in support of organizations like Planned Parenthood. They offer affordable options that might not be available otherwise. The blame is irrelevant because the problem remains regardless of who is to blame. One way to address this is to continue to invest in these programs on the federal and state level. That is just my two cents.
From KidsHealth website:

Male condoms cost about $0.50 to $1 each and are less expensive when they are bought in boxes that contain several condoms. In addition, many health centers and family planning clinics (such as Planned Parenthood) and some schools distribute them free of charge.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No, I believe people are responsible in a great part for their own personal behavior.
Oh, I believe in personal responsibility, too. I also believe that poverty is caused not by the decisions or actions of MOST of the poor, but by the decisions and the actions of the rich and of politicians, who could CHOOSE to help out those who have fewer resources...but of course, they don't.

Quetzal

Premium Member
From KidsHealth website:

Male condoms cost about $0.50 to $1 each and are less expensive when they are bought in boxes that contain several condoms. In addition, many health centers and family planning clinics (such as Planned Parenthood) and some schools distribute them free of charge.
This is good! That is why I want funding to continue to those institutions. Let's remember, while a dollar or two is not much to you or me. It means more to others. Also, how expensive is female birth control in comparison?

George-ananda

Premium Member
This is good! That is why I want funding to continue to those institutions. Let's remember, while a dollar or two is not much to you or me. It means more to others. Also, how expensive is female birth control in comparison?
My point was your financial argument was a weak attempt to shift blame in this case.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No, I believe people are responsible in a great part for their own personal behavior.
You wouldn't think that this would be that difficult to see. But it's nearly impossible to get many people to agree that there is 100% free, available, and safe birth control.
You'd think babies float around in the air looking for unsuspecting victims to invade and enslave.
Tom

Quetzal

Premium Member
My point was your financial argument was a weak attempt to shift blame in this case.
We are not talking about blame. We are talking about possible solutions. If you are having difficulty differentiating between the two, let me know. I can be try to add some more clarity to my post.