• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bjork, music and videos

Nimos

Was listening to some random music and occasionally you hit a song or artist that you had forgotten about, so I ran into Björk, and im not a huge fan of her music, but there is something weird and different about it and the music videos I really like, they are all sort of twisted in a very cool way I think.

(Remember when I was little I found the music video, to be really creepy. :))

PureX

Veteran Member
She's an artist as opposed to a singer or performer. And a very experimental one. Like Laurie Anderson, she was never hugely popular, but she greatly influenced the whole endeavor of musical performance and re-shaped what we think of as a "song".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am not a great fan but found her music to be quirky and listenable

Nimos

She's an artist as opposed to a singer or performer. And a very experimental one. Like Laurie Anderson, she was never hugely popular, but she greatly influenced the whole endeavor of musical performance and re-shaped what we think of as a "song".
Yeah that's my impressions well.

Etritonakin

Iceland's isolation has meant not being a part of the world 'music scene' -as has the fact that singing as we know it was once not allowed by foreign controlling powers!

So... a lack of music history is actually a musical influence for the Icelandic -which -though sad -adds to uniqueness and leaves room for experimentation.

Faves....
ARMY OF ME
BLACK LAKE
ALL IS FULL OF LOVE

PureX

Veteran Member
Iceland's isolation has meant not being a part of the world 'music scene' -as has the fact that singing as we know it was once not allowed by foreign controlling powers!

So... a lack of music history is actually a musical influence for the Icelandic -which -though sad -adds to uniqueness and leaves room for experimentation.

Faves....
ARMY OF ME
BLACK LAKE
ALL IS FULL OF LOVE
... A good argument for the positive influence of cultural diversity.

Etritonakin

... A good argument for the positive influence of cultural diversity.

Both can be advantageous and otherwise..... like formal education vs learning how to educate yourself.

I was just thinking that her personality is so positive and expressive...
and partly the product of a history in a land of no music and no trees.

PureX

Veteran Member
Both can be advantageous and otherwise..... like formal education vs learning how to educate yourself.

I was just thinking that her personality is so positive and expressive...
and partly the product of a history in a land of no music and no trees.
Interesting. Laurie Anderson grew up in Wisconsin. Almost the same thing. :)

PureX

Veteran Member
Laurie Anderson was already well established in the art/music world by 1986. And she had a profound effect on new wave pop music and the many digital home producers that followed. I recall hearing sounds that were uniquely her creations popping up in many of the advertisements back then, as anyone who had been to art school were well aware of her, and as they went out into the advertising field, her influence went with them.

I don't know if Bjork could have known of L.A. when she began doing music. Certainly she would have if she had been to art school, or hung around with people that had. It does seem clear that Bjork had both an interest and knowledge in avant-garde art and music and so would very likely have encountered L.A.'s work at some point. Not that she copied anyone. She didn't. But artists don't generally just pop up out of thin air. Everyone is shaped by everyone else.

Nimos

Laurie Anderson was already well established in the art/music world by 1986. And she had a profound effect on new wave pop music and the many digital home producers that followed. I recall hearing sounds that were uniquely her creations popping up in many of the advertisements back then, as anyone who had been to art school were well aware of her, and as they went out into the advertising field, her influence went with them.

I don't know if Bjork could have known of L.A. when she began doing music. Certainly she would have if she had been to art school, or hung around with people that had. It does seem clear that Bjork had both an interest and knowledge in avant-garde art and music and so would very likely have encountered L.A.'s work at some point. Not that she copied anyone. She didn't. But artists don't generally just pop up out of thin air. Everyone is shaped by everyone else.
I google "Human behavior" and this is what she have said about it:

The song was inspired by David Attenborough documentaries and by the relation between humans and animals. Björk explained to Rolling Stone, talking about the inspiration for the song: "'Human Behaviour' is an animal's point of view on humans.

What her singing is inspired by, don't know if this is her saying it herself or just someone guessing. :) Anyway
Musicians like Texan artist, Rabin, Katie Gately, Sadaf and fellow Icelandic singers, Jofriður Akadottir make it onto her list of inspirations. Another musician who Björk commends is R&B star, Jeremih, noting: “He has that purity and joy in his voice that Michael Jackson had when he was at his best.

Don't know who any of those are, so I googled one of them.