• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bishop:- Gays caused by pregnant women having anal sex.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
.................... One man can "service" several women. .............................

Damn.
Lost opportunities.
It's too late now.
But I can still glimpse what might have been, back through the mists of years long past.......

OLDBADGER'S SERVICE CENTRE
with 'Free' wash and brush up........

Gone. All gone.
:facepalm:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Damn.
Lost opportunities.
It's too late now.
But I can still glimpse what might have been, back through the mists of years long past.......

OLDBADGER'S SERVICE CENTRE
with 'Free' wash and brush up........

Gone. All gone.
:facepalm:
Oh the woes of a misspent youth. Sadly we have this thing called "civilization" that tends to frown on such activities

Of course there are articles that go over this scientifically. But sometimes a simple explanation gets the point across better.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
oh yes. It is. I have heard fundies fail against the man before. They hate him because he states the obvious: That a literal interpretation of the Bible is self refuting.re
John Shelby Spong - Wikipedia

He would not support the bishop in the OP.

Unity!
I have never heard of it before.
I will read more about this;-
Here's the Wiki intro..............

Unity describes itself as having no particular creed, no set dogma, and no required ritual.[8] It maintains that there is good in every approach to God and in every religion that is fulfilling someone's needs.[9] It holds that one should not focus on past sins but on the potential good in all.[10]

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Unity!
I have never heard of it before.
I will read more about this;-
Here's the Wiki intro..............

Unity describes itself as having no particular creed, no set dogma, and no required ritual.[8] It maintains that there is good in every approach to God and in every religion that is fulfilling someone's needs.[9] It holds that one should not focus on past sins but on the potential good in all.[10]
And he is labeled "apostate" by certain Christians. He tries to remove prejudice from the religion and is met with rather vociferous complaints by "True Christians". It is rather hard to claim a religion of love while espousing hate.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Oh the woes of a misspent youth. Sadly we have this thing called "civilization" that tends to frown on such activities

Of course there are articles that go over this scientifically. But sometimes a simple explanation gets the point across better.

You mention 'civilisation'.
Around where I live has some degree of civilisation, and I'm sometimes surprised to hear or read about polyamorous households and also polygamous individuals. Years ago such people would have been scandalised but today more and more people might just raise an eyebrow before carrying on as usual.

shmogie

Read the paper.Man made synthetic life

And of course that is only one. How about
First Life with "Alien" DNA Created in Lab
Most definitely, no argument that the DNA was made from individual inert chemical bases

Yes it's old, 2010 and not refuted by anyone with scientific qualifications in the subject, unless of course you can provide citation for your claim, (creation sites do not count as valid science)
No need to refute it. They are examples of intelligent design, not abiogeneisis.

Cell walls were not created, but borrowed from natural organisms.

You state that because these things replicate, they are life. Computer programs replicate and learn, they aren`t life.

A living organism metabolizes rids itself of waste from metabolism, utilizes oxygen and/or carbon dioxide. Do these things do this ?

How long did they continue replicating ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No need to refute it. They are examples of intelligent design, not abiogeneisis.

You state that because these things replicate, they are life. Computer programs replicate and learn, they aren`t life.

A living organism metabolizes rids itself of waste from metabolism, utilizes oxygen and/or carbon dioxide. Do these things do this ?

Yes, but they give us clues as to how abiogenesis worked. I know, you will call almost anything "intelligent design" but many of the solved problems of abiogenesis are not examples of that. They show how certain steps of abiogenesis could have proceeded without magic.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
And he is labeled "apostate" by certain Christians. He tries to remove prejudice from the religion and is met with rather vociferous complaints by "True Christians". It is rather hard to claim a religion of love while espousing hate.

I made a thread titled 'They are not Christians!' some time ago.

I had visited a 'snack and chat' event at a local Church group. I had been chatting to another visitor about other similar events around town when I asked if she ever attended the local spiritualist 'tea and biscuit' meetings.

The attending priest roared out loudly in a Germanic accent........... !!

'Zey are not Christians! Zey are ov Satan! .......' and then continued on to rant about Satanists who celebrate Halloween and such stuff...... It was truly awesome even if it was junk

Of course, after the death of Henry VIII the Christians in England were burning both Catholics and Protestants on the same day, just in different locations, and you can imagine what some of these fundie nutters would be doing to outsiders if they held power and their own kind of Theocracy.
As you know I debate harshly with a few extreme atheists here, but I do recognise that some of these people have been in fundamentalist Congregations before in their lives and they know what some Church Worlds would be like, hence their fire and zeal.

Many Christian Churches condemn others.......

shmogie

No it isn’t.
To play the devils advocate, you know this for a fact ?

Can you cite any studies that disproves it ?

When something occurs, and the cause is not known, all kinds of ideas are bandied about as to cause. A strange light becomes a UFO or a ghost, most likely a floating log becomes a lake monster.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Please provide your citations. Because to me this just sounds like creationist foot stomping.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I made a thread titled 'They are not Christians!' some time ago.

I had visited a 'snack and chat' event at a local Church group. I had been chatting to another visitor about other similar events around town when I asked if she ever attended the local spiritualist 'tea and biscuit' meetings.

The attending priest roared out loudly in a Germanic accent........... !!

'Zey are not Christians! Zey are ov Satan! .......' and then continued on to rant about Satanists who celebrate Halloween and such stuff...... It was truly awesome even if it was junk

Of course, after the death of Henry VIII the Christians in England were burning both Catholics and Protestants on the same day, just in different locations, and you can imagine what some of these fundie nutters would be doing to outsiders if they held power and their own kind of Theocracy.
As you know I debate harshly with a few extreme atheists here, but I do recognise that some of these people have been in fundamentalist Congregations before in their lives and they know what some Church Worlds would be like, hence their fire and zeal.

Many Christian Churches condemn others.......

Historically some of the worst examples of religious hate are when two sects of the same religion disagree with each other. In Great Britain and Ireland it was the Protestants and the Catholics. In Arabic countries it is wars between Sunni and Shia. Buddhists have their own history of wars. There is something about religious beliefs that tend to bring out the worst of humans at times.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
oh yes. It is. I have heard fundies fail against the man before. They hate him because he states the obvious: That a literal interpretation of the Bible is self refuting.re
John Shelby Spong - Wikipedia

He would not support the bishop in the OP.
If you and Kangaroo Feathers think so highly of him, I consider that good enough recommendation to look into his work. Thanks. I was just being a little facetious about the name, given the nature of the OP here.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
And it also explains how homosexuality can be an evolutionary plus. Biologically there is a surplus of males. One man can "service" several women. If a mutation raises female fecundity at the cost of slightly higher odds of a homosexual male child that is still a positive mutation.
Present and ready for duty sir. I am doing my part.

That makes sense, since the trait would not be found in every family that fits the description, but can be found in some with an increased net fitness gain resulting those families.

shmogie

Of course, there are others too stupid or pig-headed to even look at the evidence...I wonder if that's equally bizarre?
Sorry to be blunt, but "looking at" and "studying" are quite different things. There are reasons that the vast majority of those who study science (from the inside) believe they're on the right track. I suppose there are reasons that the vast majority of those who only "look at" science (from the outside, or more often from inside religious bias) do not. But those reasons are supported by nothing except an unwillingness to know other than what they've already decided to believe.

Quite parochial, really, but whatever.

I remember that the famed wit, Dorothy Parker, was once asked if she could use the word "horticulture" in a sentence. She replied, "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."
Please, science has been touting that they are on right track for 65 years.

If one actually reads the material, and follows the progress the track goes nowhere.

Many in the OOL community are now saying the bio chemical route is probably a dead end

For those 65 years the media has touted great breakthroughs and the ignorant public believes as you do.

However, if one reads the journals regarding these great breakthroughs, , most of the time they aren't regarded as such.

James Tour, a biochemist and eminent OOL researcher has written two books and made many presentations to groups of scientists and others regarding the non productive status quo and his frustration with the fact the OOL community will not address the real problem, biochemistry has failed in advancing significantly in identifying how abiogeneisis occurred.

You probably have never heard of him

Like most evolutionists, when you believe a cherished belief might actually be challengeable, you personally attack the challenger, parse words, split hairs, anything to discredit the messenger.

No problem.

Tell you what, why don`t you and I have a detailed conversation regarding abiogeneisis ? You will be able to showcase the vast knowled ge you say you have, you then 2ill really e able to showcase my ignorance and support your contention that I am a doofus.

The usual suspects will jump to your aid, and together you can really drag me through the mud.

Up for it ?

Just cite the science that has led you to believe abiogeneisis occurred and we will talk about it. Then I get to cite some science.

Or, would you just rather attack me personally, without proving any of your assertions ?

shmogie

Not teaching to primary school kids?
This nutter should be stopped from suggesting this ignorance to anybody!
Stuff like this can actually cause homophobic attacks on innocent people. It is so very very close to the crime of 'Incitement to commit..' as you can get in my opinion.

But the fact that he believes this stuff just shows the World how dangerous extremist Christian ideas can be.

I think I'll have a search around and see how materially comfortable this guy is.
Why would this lead to homophobic attacks ? He expressly exonerated the homosexual from having anything to do with being a homosexual, isn`t that what you believe ?

Do you think the mother's are going to be attacked for being sodomized ?

So, you don`t believe in free speech, right ?

In America speech is still relatively free, though the lefties are working overtime to eliminate it.

Here you can say what you please, as long as it is not a direct incitement to violence.

That m3ans you are free to speak, and make an idiot out of yourself.

Words don`t hurt peoples fee.ings, or marginalize them, unless they allow them too.

Leave the bishop and his dumb idea alone. He hurts nobody but himself, and anyone bent on homosexual violence doesn`t need this dumb idea to set them off.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If you and Kangaroo Feathers think so highly of him, I consider that good enough recommendation to look into his work. Thanks. I was just being a little facetious about the name, given the nature of the OP here.
I know. The name is straight out of a comic book. What made me first check into him was when certain fundamental theists brought him up out of the blue and were all but screaming at him. I figured if that person hated him he must be on the right track.