• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bisexuality

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Bisexuals make up the largest percentage of the LGBT spectrum.

FB_IMG_1632681532818.jpg

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Why is there so much biphobia in the LGBT community? I mean if there's so many of bisexuals in the community? It's ridiculious that folks can't let folks be.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Why is there so much biphobia in the LGBT community? I mean if there's so many of bisexuals in the community? It's ridiculious that folks can't let folks be.

I've never understood it either, and why I mostly avoided the community. I get enough flak in other ways to also have to deal with biphobia.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think people are too programmed to think in ways that are black and white. Like how many in the trans community struggle with non-binary. Even a program coordinator of a trans group around here mentioned he struggles with people not being one or the other. I've known some who outright reject it.

Last edited:

VoidCat

I think people are too programmed to think in ways that aren't black and white. Like how many in the trans community struggle with non-binary. Even a program coordinator of a trans group around here mentioned he struggles with people not being one or the other. I've known some who outright reject it.
Do folks not realize folks are complicated? People aren't black or white.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Is there? I was unaware of that . Heck, Y'alls just a bunch of freaks to me:p

Sorry, that was me at a younger age. I am seriously surprised about that and did not know that such bias existed. It may be due to the history of abuse against gay men and lesbian women. That can generate a "You are either with us or you are against us" mentality.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Is there? I was unaware of that . Heck, Y'alls just a bunch of freaks to me:p

Sorry, that was me at a younger age. I am seriously surprised about that and did not know that such bias existed. It may be due to the history of abuse against gay men and lesbian women. That can generate a "You are either with us or you are against us" mentality.

It's that for sure. It's also a lot of "oh it's just a phase", "you're being selfish pick a side", "you're just a sex addict" etc etc etc. And I'm sure I'm missing a half dozen derogatory arguments.

VoidCat

It's that for sure. It's also a lot of "oh it's just a phase", "you're being selfish pick a side", "you're just a sex addict" etc etc etc. And I'm sure I'm missing a half dozen derogatory arguments.
Theres also a lot of aphobia that is hate against asexuals and aromantics. Like to aromantics oh you are heartless, you just want sex(that is if they are allosexuals but aro) oh you must not be human, romance is everything. And to asexuals: you must be mentally ill, you are lying,(if they are alloromantic) how can you date if you don't want sex that's abusive to deny your partner sex...etc

Allosexual- can experience sexual attraction.
Alloromantic- can feel romantic attraction

epronovost

Largely due to resentment over the "ability" of bisexual people to pass as perfectly heterosexual people and be happy nonetheless. There is a similar phenomenon in the transcommunity about those who "pass" very well as cisgender people by those who struggle more and thus face more abuse or even in the mental health community toward people's who suffer from mental illness who are nonetheless highly functional by those who are less. It's basically a subset of "gatekeeping", but the principle remains the same. You are not X enough to call yourself X. Being member of a minority and/or victim of oppression doesn't make you kind, tolerant or even reasonable by default.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I suspect that sometimes, bisexuality can be a scary proposition for the gay or lesbian person engaging. It is quite natural to have deeper feelings for one with whom we are having a good physical relationship. But if you are a gay man beginning to have deeper feelings for a bi-guy, when he satisfies the other side of his nature, you have nothing to fight back or compete with.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I suspect that sometimes, bisexuality can be a scary proposition for the gay or lesbian person engaging. It is quite natural to have deeper feelings for one with whom we are having a good physical relationship. But if you are a gay man beginning to have deeper feelings for a bi-guy, when he satisfies the other side of his nature, you have nothing to fight back or compete with.

But the misunderstanding seems to be that bisexual people "need" both genders at some or all the time. This isn't the case, and even if true, there are ways around it (toys). When I am committed to someone, I'm committed. It has nothing to do about the desirability of the plumbing.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
But the misunderstanding seems to be that bisexual people "need" both genders at some or all the time. This isn't the case, and even if true, there are ways around it (toys). When I am committed to someone, I'm committed. It has nothing to do about the desirability of the plumbing.
Yes, it's possible that in speaking from my own experience, I've misinterpreted what was really going on. I did have a relationship once (many decades ago) with a bisexual guy -- a Scot, actually -- and for me, at least, the feelings deepened considerably. It's likely that the fact that his feelings for me didn't quite go so far as mine for him, I attributed to my lack of ability to meet some specific gender need of his. In retrospect, of course, it's much more likely that he just didn't develop the same feelings for me as I had for him. Like in a bazillion other relationships.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Largely due to resentment over the "ability" of bisexual people to pass as perfectly heterosexual people and be happy nonetheless. There is a similar phenomenon in the transcommunity about those who "pass" very well as cisgender people by those who struggle more and thus face more abuse or even in the mental health community toward people's who suffer from mental illness who are nonetheless highly functional by those who are less. It's basically a subset of "gatekeeping", but the principle remains the same. You are not X enough to call yourself X. Being member of a minority and/or victim of oppression doesn't make you kind, tolerant or even reasonable by default.
I've not really seen that in the trans community. It's known, and very well so, especially if we start after puberty we probably aren't going to pass as well.
And in mental health it's basically the same. Thise without (or think they are without) are worse to me than anyone with. Those with are usually good about identifying me as such amd we don't usually have problems.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As far as "gatekeeping" goes in the trans world, this was established because earlier gender reassignment programs did have some bad results. John Hopkins even quit doing it because it just wasn't working out well.
Standards where then developed, considerations into who is and isn't a good candidate established, and the results of gender reassignment dramatically improved.