• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birthday Reflections

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You got me beat, I only know one language and I don't have a diploma. :p

You are doing really good for yourself, Debater. I agree with Kenny, don't forget to live and relax once in a while. I wish you the best of luck on your journeys, and happy birthday!

BTW, I think the 20s are figuring ourselves out for many people, and when we get near the end of our twenties we start getting that quarter-life crisis feeling. Don't let it eat you up. I think you're doing fine, you understand your goals and you are a productive, intelligent person.

Thanks for the birthday wishes and kind words, Sum!

I agree with you about the 20s. For some people, even the 30s are largely unstable and uncertain. Accepting that each of us is a unique individual with their own circumstances is sometimes difficult, but I think it's very important for clarity and peace of mind.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If you take a vacation in Mexico, speaking Spanish will get you cheaper prices for stuff.

In France, a knowledge of French will let you know what the waiters are saying about you, and enable you to adjust the tip accordingly.

I can believe that. Knowing Arabic definitely helps with haggling as a tourist in Egypt. :D

Happy Birthday!

Thank you!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Now that my birthday is here, I'm thinking even more about where I want to be in my life and how close I will be come next year. I don't do New Year's resolutions, but this year I'm setting some for my birthday.

• Looking at various master's programs and job openings abroad, I feel like knowing just two languages is the bare minimum at this point. Almost everyone who has any real chance of advancing in a STEM career needs to know English. Arabic probably isn't a huge asset in the European job market (again, speaking Of STEM only), so I'm thinking of learning at least one more language.

French is the prime candidate because I already know some basics, and it seems more similar to English than, say, German or Dutch. Spanish is also a probable option, but I need to do more research before deciding whether learning it could bring me enough benefit to outweigh the time it will take to learn from scratch.

• I'm approaching 30, and sometimes I have a sneaking feeling of underachievement when I think about how I only know two languages (which, as I said, seems to be the bare minimum nowadays) and don't have a master's yet. By 30, some people have PhDs and/or know a few languages proficiently, if not fluently. I know comparison to others is a poor metric for achievement and an unwise thing to do, hence my saying "sneaking feeling." I catch it starting to take hold and make sure to pull back and focus on what needs to be done.

• I haven't seen my best friend in over three years. I miss her. One of my plans is to visit her country as soon as I can.

That's all... for now. Today is best reserved for cake and other good food with family. I'll worry more about academic and career issues later. :D
I was 44 when I got my Master's. The older we get, the more life skills and wisdom we have. It works out.