• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birth of the Bab observed October 20th

arthra

Baha'i
In a few days starting after sunset October 19th Baha'is will be observing the anniversary of the Birth of the Bab a Baha'i Holy Day on which work and school are suspended.

The Bab is a title meaning "the Gate". His given name at birth was Siyyid Ali Muhammad and He was born in Shiraz Iran on October 20th at dawn in 1819... His family was of the lineage of Muhammad.

In His later life the Bab claimed He was the Mahdi and Qa'im or Promised One foretold in Shiah Islam in the year 1260 A.H. or 1844. Thousands recognised His claim as a fulfillment of prophecy and gave up their lives in martyrdom. He also foretold that "Him Whom God would make manifest" would appear after Him and this Person Baha'is accept as a Baha'u'llah ... Mirza Husayn Ali.

So in a few days Baha'is around the world gather for prayers and celebrate this Holy Day.

arthra

Baha'i
I enjoyed seeing this article on BBC iWonder ... It also mentioned the Birth of the Bab:

Born on 20 October 1819, Siyyid Ali-Muhammad Shírází became known as the Báb, a word which means 'gate' in Arabic. His message was the gateway to a new world.
He announced that he had received a message from God. The message was that a great prophet - the Promised One - was coming to establish a world of peace and justice.
He quickly built up a substantial group of followers who became known as Bábis.

A fairly good summary of Baha'i history can be seen at:

BBC iWonder - Can a religion accept other faiths as true?