• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham Muslims pull their kids out of LGBT-inclusive lessons

Altfish

Veteran Member
They should spend as much time on math and science. I would prefer to explain these lgbt things to my children when I think they are ready.
Of course they should spend time on Maths, Science and English BUT there will be same sex parents at the school, they may have relatives that are in same sex relationships (maybe not!) but your child will be exposed to all sorts of things that are outside the 1950s norm.
The lessons are not about the mechanics of sexual relationships - at the age these kids are they just talk about family units and what makes up a family.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
They should spend as much time on math and science. I would prefer to explain these lgbt things to my children when I think they are ready.

Well since these are planned lessons, the teachers will have set time aside to discuss this just as they will be doing with science and maths.

I'm not entirely sure what is "R-rated" about 'Sarah has two mummies' that isn't "R-rated" about 'Sarah has a mummy and a daddy'.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Muslims are generally conservative regarding family matters
Which is fine BUT it shouldn't trump what they are taught at school.
Should we teach that the male is superior to the female and is head of the family?
It is a slippy slope if you give in to these prejudices.

sooda

Veteran Member
Which is fine BUT it shouldn't trump what they are taught at school.
Should we teach that the male is superior to the female and is head of the family?
It is a slippy slope if you give in to these prejudices.

You might want to read up on women's rights in Islam rather than assuming that ISIS or the Taliban sets the standard. Muslim women had more rights than American or European up thru the 1950s.

Altfish

Veteran Member
You might want to read up on women's rights in Islam rather than assuming that ISIS or the Taliban sets the standard. Muslim women had more rights than American or European up thru the 1950s.
it is almost 2020, that is what we are now comparing with.

sooda

Veteran Member
it is almost 2020, that is what we are now comparing with.

Muslim women didn't have to sign off Dower rights. They could buy, sell and own property on their own. Had the right to a divorce.. The right to an education. Rights of inheritance. Right to write their own marriage contract. Right to child custody. American women didn't have those rights until the early 1970s.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Muslim women didn't have to sign off Dower rights. They could buy, sell and own property on their own. Had the right to a divorce.. The right to an education. Rights of inheritance. Right to write their own marriage contract. Right to child custody. American women didn't have those rights until the early 1970s.
Great, but it is now 2019 - the US still oppressed blacks back then (actually, they are starting to again!)
In the UK in 2019 women can do all of the above and much more - they are hardly groundbreaking.
Their children don't have the right to a rounded education - well not if the protesters get their way.

sooda

Veteran Member
Great, but it is now 2019 - the US still oppressed blacks back then (actually, they are starting to again!)
In the UK in 2019 women can do all of the above and much more - they are hardly groundbreaking.
Their children don't have the right to a rounded education - well not if the protesters get their way.

How old are you?

Notanumber

A Free Man
I like the cut of Ester’s jib. She is a straight talker, which is unusual for a modern politician.

We might not agree with her but we know where she stands.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I like the cut of Ester’s jib. She is a straight talker, which is unusual for a modern politician.

We might not agree with her but we know where she stands.

Can't help but notice you're not addressing the elephant in the room which is this stance - that you're so admiring her for having one of - is pandering to Muslim religious bigotry, using their religious beliefs to try and disadvantage another minority community, and is actually a great example of behaving like a dhimmi.

Which would you rather do? Bash Corbyn for not giving an opinion (yet - for any number of reasons) or admit that while McVey has given her opinion, it's incredibly unhelpful and seems like it will only exacerbate problems you have been complaining about for years - lack of desire among British Muslims to integrate and their exhibiting of religious entitlement?