• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham Muslims pull their kids out of LGBT-inclusive lessons

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
It also betrays a lack of integrity. If they truly believed in their faith then this shouldn't shake it. Many things exist in this world that make people question, that make people doubt, but also that make people believe. By not exposing them or even just allowing this information to reach their kids they are only delaying the inevitable and the shock will hit so much harder.

Exactly. I think these parents are worried that if their kids find out that gay people exist, and they're normal people who raise families, this early on it will make it harder to indoctrinate them about how gays are evil, sinful, flawed or whatever the guff they try and indoctrinate their kids with.

That's another thing: conservative religious parents complaining their children are being indoctrinated is highly hypocritical. They sound like the sort of people who would send their kids to a madrassa given half the chance.

Notanumber

A Free Man
This is a British phone-in programme but they had to go all the way to the USA to find a Christian that disagrees with the British education policy.

The debate becomes more heated when a British Islamic spokesperson gets involved.

The Emperor of Mankind

Time to give credit where it's due. @Shad you might be interested in this.

Owen Jones goes out and interviews both sides of this protest. Admittedly he gives slightly more camera time to the LGBT side of the confrontation, seems to come down a bit more on their side and I'm not sure I agree with everything he says, but finally, someone prominent on the Left is talking about it.

Link

Notanumber

A Free Man
However, as usual the ‘far right’ get dragged into it.

The Guardian should have published this video.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Time to give credit where it's due. @Shad you might be interested in this.

Owen Jones goes out and interviews both sides of this protest. Admittedly he gives slightly more camera time to the LGBT side of the confrontation, seems to come down a bit more on their side and I'm not sure I agree with everything he says, but finally, someone prominent on the Left is talking about it.

Link

Thanks for the link.

Sorry for the delay. Weekends can be busy at times so I miss alerts.

The Emperor of Mankind

And now Esther McVey, potential Tory leader and Prime Ministerial candidate, has thrown her support behind the homophobic parents protesting these lessons outside Anderton Park school - rather than the teachers and support staff the Government have thrown to the Islamic wolves. Protesters who have thrown eggs and abuse at counter-demonstrators; protesters who claim that these lessons that teach their kids that gay people & different family make-ups exist - and the people who agree with these lessons - aren't giving their religious beliefs the respect they apparently deserve. We're one step away from them being called 'Islamophobic'. The poor teachers have been reduced to tears before getting into the building.

Instead of doing the sensible thing and standing with the legislation due to take effect next year which makes teaching that different types of familial units exist, McVey has decided that freedom of religion means entitlement to one's own facts.

Which is just fantastic...

This sort of capitulation will only serve to strengthen the protesters in cherry-picking what facts their children are exposed to before they can be pulled into the mosques and indoctrinated with fact-allergic dogma that prejudices them against this sort of thing.

Esther McVey believes "parents know best what their children should be allowed to know"

I can't help but wonder how much of this is McVey's attempt to court the homophobic section of the Conservative Party.

Last edited:

Notanumber

A Free Man
And now Esther McVey, potential Tory leader and Prime Ministerial candidate, has thrown her support behind the homophobic parents protesting these lessons outside Anderton Park school - rather than the teachers and support staff the Government have thrown to the Islamic wolves. Protesters who have thrown eggs and abuse at counter-demonstrators; protesters who claim that these lessons that teach their kids that gay people & different family make-ups exist - and the people who agree with these lessons - aren't giving their religious beliefs the respect they apparently deserve. We're one step away from them being called 'Islamophobic'. The poor teachers have been reduced to tears before getting into the building.

Instead of doing the sensible thing and standing with the legislation due to take effect next year which makes teaching that different types of familial units exist, McVey has decided that freedom of religion means entitlement to one's own facts.

Which is just fantastic...

This sort of capitulation will only serve to strengthen the protesters in cherry-picking what facts their children are exposed to before they can be pulled into the mosques and indoctrinated with fact-allergic dogma that prejudices them against this sort of thing.

Esther McVey believes "parents know best what their children should be allowed to know"

I can't help but wonder how much of this is McVey's attempt to court the homophobic section of the Conservative Party.

Has anyone asked Jeremy Corbyn for his opinion on this subject?

If so, what side of the fence will he be coming down on?

Please provide any links that indicate this.

Altfish

Veteran Member

What has that got to do with Esther McVey?
She is one of your new heroes, who wants to bring back to Section 28 legislation. Yet another Tory dinosaur.

The Emperor of Mankind

I'm not sure if anybody has asked him. Not that I care much for his opinion.

It wouldn't surprise me if he tried to say the Government's behaviour is ****ty but also tried to say that the parents are in the right because they're Muslims...

Notanumber

A Free Man
I'm not sure if anybody has asked him. Not that I care much for his opinion.

It wouldn't surprise me if he tried to say the Government's behaviour is ****ty but also tried to say that the parents are in the right because they're Muslims...

She's making concessions to Islamists and is displaying an incredibly dhim(mi) attitude.

But still, at least she's talking about it...

Corbyn spends so much time sitting on the fence that he must be suffering from haemorrhoids by now.

It is good to know that you value the opinion of a Brexiteer over someone who is leading a shadow cabinet full of Remainers.

At least we know where she stands.

The Emperor of Mankind

Wow.. Do you have young children? Do you let them watch R rated movies?

No I don't. What exactly about telling kids that some other children live with two mummies or two daddies is "R-rated"?

I am neither a Muslim nor overly religious. I just think there is such a thing as age appropriate.. and little kids have so much to learn they shouldn't be burdened (or exposed) to adult issues too early.

You do realise that relationships can be explained to children outside of a sexual context, don't you? I mean you're an adult, for goodness' sake. Do you not realise that 'love' and 'sex' are not exactly the same thing.

sooda

Veteran Member
No I don't. What exactly about telling kids that some other children live with two mummies or two daddies is "R-rated"?

You do realise that relationships can be explained to children outside of a sexual context, don't you? I mean you're an adult, for goodness' sake. Do you not realise that 'love' and 'sex' are not exactly the same thing.

I would certainly hope so.

The Emperor of Mankind

Corbyn spends so much time sitting on the fence that he must be suffering from haemorrhoids by now.

I concur. I think we'd both agree that we'd find more backbone in an amoeba culture than in Corbyn.

It is good to know that you value the opinion of a Brexiteer over someone who is leading a shadow cabinet full of Remainers.

I was actually being facetious. I don't value McVey's opinions on much of anything. I think her statement is incredibly reactionary, is grandstanding for the sake of political advancement and only serves to empower religious bigotry towards LGBTs. If Muslims can get away with it at Anderton this will spread even further than it already has.

We can't trust the right to sincerely stick up for LGBTs. There is an increasing amount of awareness on the Left that the classic oppressor/oppressed formula doesn't apply here, and that someone needs to put their foot down and just tell these Muslims they're in the wrong and they deserve no compromises.

At least we know where she stands.

Her statement is helpful in that we know she has picked a side, and that's all. It not useful apart from that. Now we know she is on the side of accommodating Islamic bigotry.

sooda

Veteran Member
And that's exactly what is happening at Anderton and Parkfield schools. As these parents would know if they ever sat down and read through the course material without any sort of religiously-conceived bias.

They should spend as much time on math and science. I would prefer to explain these lgbt things to my children when I think they are ready.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I concur. I think we'd both agree that we'd find more backbone in an amoeba culture than in Corbyn.

I was actually being facetious. I don't value McVey's opinions on much of anything. I think her statement is incredibly reactionary, is grandstanding for the sake of political advancement and only serves to empower religious bigotry towards LGBTs. If Muslims can get away with it at Anderton this will spread even further than it already has.

We can't trust the right to sincerely stick up for LGBTs. There is an increasing amount of awareness on the Left that the classic oppressor/oppressed formula doesn't apply here, and that someone needs to put their foot down and just tell these Muslims they're in the wrong and they deserve no compromises.

Her statement is helpful in that we know she has picked a side, and that's all. It not useful apart from that. Now we know she is on the side of accommodating Islamic bigotry.

I am more interested in where the Left stands. They may be good at juggling but can they keep both balls up in the air on this subject.