• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham Muslims pull their kids out of LGBT-inclusive lessons

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You read it on the internet, did you?

Oh please. Here are just a few data points, you can easily find more:

The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society

[GALLERY=media, 7647]Secure-v7 by icehorse posted Aug 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM[/GALLERY]

==

And let me ask, how would you recommend we gain knowledge on such a topic? You gonna tell me to go talk to a handful of the world's 1.8 billion Muslims?

Notanumber

A Free Man
I have said time and again that I believe in anyone's right to protest (as long as they are not inciting violence and it is a peaceful protest) so yes I will defend UKIP's right to protest.

I must say, I did not expect you being so “broadminded” that you would defend UKIP’s right to protest in favour of homophobia on the streets of the UK.

I am a UKIP supporter but I would not defend their right to do that. In the very unlikely event that they did it, I would denounce them as being homophobes.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I must say, I did not expect you being so “broadminded” that you would defend UKIP’s right to protest in favour of homophobia on the streets of the UK.

I am a UKIP supporter but I would not defend their right to do that. In the very unlikely event that they did it, I would denounce them as being homophobes.
That is what Free Speech is all about. I vehemently disagree with what they are saying but will defend their right to do so.

After all your bluster about Free Speech you are consistently proving you have no idea what it is. A bit like British Values.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I would ask how large Pew's sample was.

This feels like a LMGTFY moment, but I'll play along just this once. Early in the article, the poll said:

- 38,000 people were polled
- across 80 languages
- across 39 countries

sooda

Veteran Member
This feels like a LMGTFY moment, but I'll play along just this once. Early in the article, the poll said:

- 38,000 people were polled
- across 80 languages
- across 39 countries

That's a huge number.. Really huge.. Must have cost millions.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Yes, subject to a conservative culture ...

A conservative culture that does not believe in civil rights for all; it only cares about (7th Century) civil rights for Muslims and the rest can go **** themselves. Non-Muslims, LGBTs, atheists, Jews, polytheists & women etc can just go whistle in the wind because if you live in a Muslim-majority country, chances are you will have limited or no rights to live and/or worship freely.

Women are subjected to discriminatory dress codes that men are not subjected to - and invariably the reward for non-conformity is ****-shaming or outright assault. They're also subjected to sex-based discrimination in sharia courts; women only get half the inheritance rights of a man; women are subjected to a more convoluted process when trying to obtain a divorce.

There are few if any Muslim-majority countries and Islamic countries (countries where Sharia is informs the legal code) where polytheists can worship freely; open & maintain temples etc.

sooda

Veteran Member
A conservative culture that does not believe in civil rights for all; it only cares about (7th Century) civil rights for Muslims and the rest can go **** themselves. Non-Muslims, LGBTs, atheists, Jews, polytheists & women etc can just go whistle in the wind because if you live in a Muslim-majority country, chances are you will have limited or no rights to live and/or worship freely.

Women are subjected to discriminatory dress codes that men are not subjected to - and invariably the reward for non-conformity is ****-shaming or outright assault. They're also subjected to sex-based discrimination in sharia courts; women only get half the inheritance rights of a man; women are subjected to a more convoluted process when trying to obtain a divorce.

There are few if any Muslim-majority countries and Islamic countries (countries where Sharia is informs the legal code) where polytheists can worship freely; open & maintain temples etc.

Muslim women have the right to divorce and to control their own money (without dower rights) and they can inherit and write their own marriage contracts.

Its not as difficult as you think. I lived there for nearly 2 decades. Cultural modesty is their way.. and that's not so difficult either. I would hate to try and take that away from them.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Not in primary school. Did you also tell them that there was no Santa Claus and that HIV exists? How about prostitution?
What the hell does STDs and prostitution have to do with teaching little Timmy that families come in different shapes and sizes?
All you really need to do is say to a child,
“Some people have a mummy and a daddy. Some people have a mummy and a mummy. Some have a daddy and a daddy. Some have a mummy and some have a daddy.”
How hard is that?
Besides pretty sure kids will be exposed to different family types at the school drop off and pick up. They might even draw their family in an art class and might even see other kids drawing different family types other than the nuclear family. Learning that gay people exist is like learning that heterosexuals exist. It’s normally devoid of sex.
I mean geez, I knew about gay people as a tot. My nephew knew about gay people as a tot. Our innocence wasn’t ruined. It was just part of reality. Chances are most kids have at least one gay relative, anyway.

sooda

Veteran Member
What the hell does STDs and prostitution have to do with teaching little Timmy that families come in different shapes and sizes?
All you really need to do is say to a child,
“Some people have a mummy and a daddy. Some people have a mummy and a mummy. Some have a daddy and a daddy. Some have a mummy and some have a daddy.”
How hard is that?
Besides pretty sure kids will be exposed to different family types at the school drop off and pick up. They might even draw their family in an art class and might even see other kids drawing different family types other than the nuclear family. Learning that gay people exist is like learning that heterosexuals exist. It’s normally devoid of sex.
I mean geez, I knew about gay people as a tot. My nephew knew about gay people as a tot. Our innocence wasn’t ruined. It was just part of reality. Chances are most kids have at least one gay relative, anyway.

Not a damned thing.. Have you been reading this thread at all?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Not a damned thing.. Have you been reading this thread at all?
Yes, I have followed it since the OP. I still question why you would associate the two in your response.
Why would teaching kids gay people exist be likened to teaching them prostitution exists? Or HIV? Or Santa? You’re the one who brought it up, no one else on the thread did so.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes, I have followed it since the OP. I still question why you would associate the two in your response.
Why would teaching kids gay people exist be likened to teaching them prostitution exists? Or HIV? Or Santa? You’re the one who brought it up, no one else on the thread did so.

I think primary school is too soon to bring up issues that children would not otherwise be curious about.

Shad

Veteran Member
In time.. Not in primary school.. and I talked to my children about these things.. I didn't leave it to some curriculum in a one size fits all.

A standard one size fits all lesson plan become a part of the education system due to parents being incompetent and/or religious zealots that teach their children nonsense as per their religious views. Do note this is not a problem in Maths as no parent is teaching their children 1+1=3 as a fact due to their religion.