• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birds of a feather...

JIMMY12345

Flock together.
They are flying past my window heading home before winter.
Does anyone know why they all adopt a V formation in flight?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I hate this saying, because I have almost always had crushes on complete opposites to me. But realizing its true, I'm trying to stop that from myself.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Flock together.
To conserve energy.
The way birds conserve energy cleverly utilizes the slipstream that the bird in front of them creates while flying. The reason why one side is longer than the other is that when there is a crosswind one side of the V is harder for the birds to fly on. This ends up being the shorter side

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Flock together.

Its an energy saving technique. Each bird flys just below the bird in front and catches its downdraft and reduces wind resistance.

As the lead bird tires it will drop back so another can take the lead. It drops back to save energy and recharge.

pearl

I don't know exactly why but every type of bird seems to do that even geese, ducks etc. I have watched hundreds of crows flock together looking for a roost. One early dawn I turned on the backyard spotlight to let the dog out and heard this terrible woosh, the crows had roosted in our tree.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To conserve energy.
The way birds conserve energy cleverly utilizes the slipstream that the bird in front of them creates while flying. The reason why one side is longer than the other is that when there is a crosswind one side of the V is harder for the birds to fly on. This ends up being the shorter side
That sorta reminds me of Randolph the Brown Nose Reindeer, who ran right behind Rudolph, was just as fast, but he couldn't stop as quick.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
V's are easy. Now this, this is quite the feat:

upload_2022-8-29_13-39-38.png