• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bird virus

pearl

Has anyone heard of a virus affecting certain birds (blue jays, robins, starlings)? The Audubon Society has recommended taking down bird feeders and overturning bird baths. The last I heard the virus was as far north as New Jersey. Yesterday I noticed a 2nd Blue Jay acting strange and later found it dead. I wonder if I ought to take it somewhere to be tested. Guess I'll have to remove the feeders, hate to do it but....

We Never Know

No Slack
Has anyone heard of a virus affecting certain birds (blue jays, robins, starlings)? The Audubon Society has recommended taking down bird feeders and overturning bird baths. The last I heard the virus was as far north as New Jersey. Yesterday I noticed a 2nd Blue Jay acting strange and later found it dead. I wonder if I ought to take it somewhere to be tested. Guess I'll have to remove the feeders, hate to do it but....

Here's one from mid August..

Mysterious illness killing birds may be in N.C.

What You Need To Know
  • An illness killing songbirds in mid-Atlantic states may now be in North Carolina

• The main visible symptoms are swollen eyes or crusty discharge around the eyes

• Wildlife officials are urging people to remove backyard bird feeders and avoid handling sick birds

• No human health issues have been reported in connection to the bird disease

WHAT'S CAUSING THE SICKNESS?
Scientists at the USGS, the Smithsonian and universities are still working to determine the causes. Through testing of sick and deceased birds, they have determined that this outbreak was not primarily caused by salmonella, chlamydia, avian influenza virus, West Nile virus or a few other viruses that commonly afflict birds.

WHICH BIRDS ARE AFFECTED?
So far, the majority of birds reported as ailing have been fledgling blue jays, American robins, European starlings and common grackles, but other songbirds are also affected.

The main visible symptoms are swollen eyes or crusty discharge around the eyes, as well as off-balance movements that may indicate neurological damage.

Wildlife managers and veterinarians first received reports in late April and May of sick birds in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and Washington, D.C. Later reports came from Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Ohio and Indiana.

1x1transparent

Last edited:

pearl

off-balance movements that may indicate neurological damage

We've certainly noticed signs that would indicate neurological damage.
This is what we have noticed, especially the blue jay, staying at the feeder for a long time, trying to crack the same peanut over an hour, disoriented. The robins have disappeared but they never go to the feeders. I thought at first maybe the Jay flew into a window or something and was stunned, but I'm afraid with the 2nd Jay its not looking good.
Thanks for the info.