• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy the Vagabond

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Billy always dreads the winter months. They're cold, wet, and harsh for many of the homeless, of whom he is one. However, he finds some solace in the kindness of strangers whose acts of charity sometimes stem from pity and sometimes from deep empathy. He doesn't realize why some treat him as lesser or as someone who has no feelings when they're perfectly kind to their own, but he has become used to such indiscrepancies. After all, he's just a homeless stranger to them.

Billy is not the whinging type. Whenever he can, he tries to secure his food and temporary shelter, or sleeping spot, on his own. People sometimes make this harder than it already is, though. They litter the streets, park their cars carelessly and take up space unnecessarily, and throw out perfectly good food instead of giving it to those like him. He always adapts, however. Billy is not the whinging type.

Billy sometimes tries to talk to people, although only few pay attention to what he has to say. He has a lot to say. His health isn't always the best, and it gets harder the older he grows and the less energy he has to live such an unstable life. Perhaps people don't listen because he's not a local and they don't understand his language. Perhaps it's simple apathy to his story. Perhaps it's the fact that he doesn't have the biggest stature, which makes him unlikely to be noticed. Everyone is going to work, playing with their kids, or going on a date. Everyone is busy writing their own story. They have no place for Billy. He doesn't ask for a place in their lives, but they also fail to leave him alone to adapt in peace.

It's still okay. Billy hates no one. He's incapable of hatred. No matter how many people mistreat him or ignore his struggle, he always has kindness and affection to share with those who are receptive. Billy sees no race, religion, or politics. He only sees whether people treat him well or not.

He finds a bench to sleep on for the night. Not the best spot, since people will push him away in the morning. But he has had worse nights.

Billy sees someone approaching in the dark, but thankfully, they walk away and leave him be. He lets out a faint meow, wraps his tail around his body, and goes to sleep.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Billy always dreads the winter months. They're cold, wet, and harsh for many of the homeless, of whom he is one. However, he finds some solace in the kindness of strangers whose acts of charity sometimes stem from pity and sometimes from deep empathy. He doesn't realize why some treat him as lesser or as someone who has no feelings when they're perfectly kind to their own, but he has become used to such indiscrepancies. After all, he's just a homeless stranger to them.

Billy is not the whinging type. Whenever he can, he tries to secure his food and temporary shelter, or sleeping spot, on his own. People sometimes make this harder than it already is, though. They litter the streets, park their cars carelessly and take up space unnecessarily, and throw out perfectly good food instead of giving it to those like him. He always adapts, however. Billy is not the whinging type.

Billy sometimes tries to talk to people, although only few pay attention to what he has to say. He has a lot to say. His health isn't always the best, and it gets harder the older he grows and the less energy he has to live such an unstable life. Perhaps people don't listen because he's not a local and they don't understand his language. Perhaps it's simple apathy to his story. Perhaps it's the fact that he doesn't have the biggest stature, which makes him unlikely to be noticed. Everyone is going to work, playing with their kids, or going on a date. Everyone is busy writing their own story. They have no place for Billy. He doesn't ask for a place in their lives, but they also fail to leave him alone to adapt in peace.

It's still okay. Billy hates no one. He's incapable of hatred. No matter how many people mistreat him or ignore his struggle, he always has kindness and affection to share with those who are receptive. Billy sees no race, religion, or politics. He only sees whether people treat him well or not.

He finds a bench to sleep on for the night. Not the best spot, since people will push him away in the morning. But he has had worse nights.

Billy sees someone approaching in the dark, but thankfully, they walk away and leave him be. He lets out a faint meow, wraps his tail around his body, and goes to sleep.

Beautiful, love it.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Nice twist. I for one pet any stray cat that will let me. Sometimes I will scratch them for a good ten minutes.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I got dragged away from my reply, I'm back.

As i stated reading it reminded me so much of Jean Claude, our local clochard (hobo). He turns up in the village with his invisible dog three or four times a year. Goes into the minimarket and buys food which he will take over to a bench in the village square and, while chatting with his invisible dog, enjoys a four or five course picnic. He is a believer in slow food so spends several hours here.

No one stops to talk to him so one day, being who i am, i made a couple of coffees and walked over to sit with him.

He was over the moon with the coffee, although he didn't speak much what he did say was very precise and well spoken.

Coffee with Jean Claude became regular whenever he came to the village. Over a couple of years he's opened up. He mostly shuns his aristocratic family and their chateaux and lands because they expect him to be "aristocratic" when he'd much rather wonder around the Perigord noir. He loves the countryside and he likes to keep an eye on the changing seasons. He'll sleep rough through spring to autumn then head home and do his duty.

A nice man with wonderful tails ;-) to tell

Gargovic Malkav

I got dragged away from my reply, I'm back.

As i stated reading it reminded me so much of Jean Claude, our local clochard (hobo). He turns up in the village with his invisible dog three or four times a year. Goes into the minimarket and buys food which he will take over to a bench in the village square and, while chatting with his invisible dog, enjoys a four or five course picnic. He is a believer in slow food so spends several hours here.

No one stops to talk to him so one day, being who i am, i made a couple of coffees and walked over to sit with him.

He was over the moon with the coffee, although he didn't speak much what he did say was very precise and well spoken.

Coffee with Jean Claude became regular whenever he came to the village. Over a couple of years he's opened up. He mostly shuns his aristocratic family and their chateaux and lands because they expect him to be "aristocratic" when he'd much rather wonder around the Perigord noir. He loves the countryside and he likes to keep an eye on the changing seasons. He'll sleep rough through spring to autumn then head home and do his duty.

A nice man with wonderful tails ;-) to tell

Do you know how much of it is true, though?
It sounds like an old-fashioned form of nobility, is that still a big thing in France?
I'm not trying to stigmatize, but it's not uncommon that such "wandering folks" make up stories to... I'm not sure... Perhaps to have something interesting to talk about without making them feel judged... But it happens a lot in my experience...

There's a nationally viral video of a former drifter (he's deceased now) who claimed to be a UFO pilot, another time he said he was "The God of the Mafia".

I've seen more homeless people who've had similar stories to tell.

I do like it when people listen to them and treat them with respect, though.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Do you know how much of it is true, though?
It sounds like an old-fashioned form of nobility, is that still a big thing in France?
I'm not trying to stigmatize, but it's not uncommon that such "wandering folks" make up stories to... I'm not sure... Perhaps to have something interesting to talk about without making them feel judged... But it happens a lot in my experience...

There's a nationally viral video of a former drifter (he's deceased now) who claimed to be a UFO pilot, another time he said he was "The God of the Mafia".

I've seen more homeless people who've had similar stories to tell.

I do like it when people listen to them and treat them with respect, though.

I didn't realise but at a chateau we visited before i met him he has a portrait in the entrance hall.

A friend came to visit us from the UK, the chateau was on the "to visit" list, this time i recognised the portrait.

I reckon he's genuine