1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billionaires made $3.9 trillion during pandemic - enough to pay for everyone's vaccines

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Stevicus, Jan 27, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,831
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Billionaires made $3.9 trillion during the pandemic — enough to pay for everyone's vaccine

Not that it's any great surprise, but it's good to look at the numbers just the same.

So, the billionaires made out pretty well during the pandemic, although 200 to 500 million have fallen into poverty and could take more than a decade to recover.

There is of course, an obvious and easy solution to the problem, as outlined in the article:

Should there be a wealth tax? Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,423
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    I think we should have a progressive spending tax not a wealth tax. When you spend, purchase something, maybe stock for example or land etc. Wealth is difficult to compute, is often untraceable, and its complexity is the reason why some people never pay taxes. Sales taxes and transfers and purchases are easier to tax and also more representative of wealth. As you spend more your tax rate could go up progressively, so I'm not talking about a flat tax. I'm talking about a progressive tax based on how much is spent.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,423
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    Also, don't we want to get away from a surveillance based government? I think we do. I think we want to move back towards cash or should want to.

4. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +11,456
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    I would prefer we return to pre-Regan era taxes where the top marginal bracket was 70%. And if I'm dreaming I'd want a global wealth cap. And if I'm dreaming of ponies I'd want a 50% decrease in defense spending, heavy restrictions on private insurance with a NHS replacement and nationalized college education for everyone. All things I think we need to change US wealth hoarding and low economic mobility in lower class.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +13,413
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I'm a proponent for shared wealth.

I'd much prefer a tethered/scale based system where the top CEO pay is linked with the lowest pay scale.

If the CEO makes more money, so do the workers that contributed to that success. Including bonuses and additional perks.

No limits, no one gets left behind. A win win for everyone.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,209
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
  7. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,252
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    I think the progressive tax rate is a wealth tax.

But, all in all, are you saying that the pandemic was a conspiracy by billionaires to get more wealth at the expense of closing down small businesses?

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,209
    Religion:
    Of course not. This is planned by God:D ... or do we call it coincidence on RF?;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,209
    Religion:
    IMO:

1+1=2

God is the best planner;)

Billionaires never make a plan, or do they? ... no, when they make plans, their plans always fail

These ca. 4 trillions were just all coincidence, that is what we believe, don't we?:D

They planned it from the beginning calling it "the new normal"$$$:cool:

10. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,361
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Of course, those billionaires would be paying corporations for the vaccines, corporations in which they probably have stock and possibly be on the board of directors.

11. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +22,557
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It isn't. It is a tax on what one earns. It is not a tax on possessions. We already have property tax. It does cost quite a bit to defend the wealth of the wealthy. Shouldn't they pay for the defense of their wealth?

12. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,557
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I am surprised that there are that many billionaires and even more surprised that so many billionaires now find themselves in poverty:(

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,252
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    I don't understand...

Are you saying that people should be double taxed? So, you should be taxed again on how many clothes, furniture, TV, cars etc on what you have?

14. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,876
    Religion:
    none
    There should not be a wealth tax. It is not fair to take wealth away from people who have earned it and it is too complicated to investigate which wealth is ill gained.
    There should be a progressive income tax with a formula that approaches 100% asymptotically. (I.e. you pay 100% taxes if you have infinite income.) This should include all income, especially income from not working, i.e. rent and stock.
    It would also be nice (but not practical in the near or mid future) if there was a 100% inheritance tax (and no, or very low, personal income tax). Paying taxes when you're dead is a thing most people should be in favour of. It should also be preferable by people who like merits and personal responsibility. Everyone starts at zero and only your skills and hard work determine your wealth (which you will keep 'till you bite the dust).

15. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,557
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Please don't use loaded terms. It is an admission of being wrong.

People should be taxed for the services that they use. Do you realize that it takes a government to protect wealth?

16. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,557
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I disagree. There are already property taxes. The average person has to pay those. A wealth tax is only an extended property tax. Why should the lower classes have to pay a tax on their property and the wealth should be able to get away with not paying one on theirs?

17. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +13,413
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    No doubt, a tough life lay ahead being relegated "gawd" worse. . demoted to driving a common Mercedes or BMW from a classic chauffeured Bentley.

18. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,252
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    Please don't play with words... it shows that you have no argument.

We are not talking about taxes for services we use -- that is a sales tax and billionaires pay more quantity in sales tax than the average person. And I'm sure you want the government to protect what you have. ;) You want to get back to what people are talking about? Or are you wanting a merry-go-round?

#18 KenS, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  19. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +25,029
    Religion:
    Love
    And it works. The company that instituted a decent pay rate for everyone found that the employees were indeed ready to help when the pandemic struck by taking voluntary pay cuts.

Shared rewards and treating everyone as worthwhile is the way to go.

20. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,557
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I am not playing with words. That is your sin. And yes, I pay for the government to protect what I have. I pay property tax, I pay income tax, I pay sales tax. You are trying to exclude the wealthy from paying taxes on their personal property.