• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billie Eilish

PureX

Veteran Member
So what did you all think of Billie Eilish sweeping the Grammys?

She and her brother Finneas (17 and 21 years old respectively) wrote and produced all their music completely by themselves, and gained their audience through YouTube. No recording contracts, no studios, no promoters, and no tv talent contests. Their concerts generate huge crowds and enthusiasm reminiscent of the Beatles. And what's even more amazing is that their music and videos do not just appeal to teens and pre-teens. They have won fans of all ages and demographics.

They have been labeled the new anti-pop, pop stars.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Never heard of her before the grammys but there was just something about her that made me think she is just another manufactured act.

PureX

Veteran Member
I couldn't be further from the world of teen girls, so her music was not really made for me. Yet I can appreciate how well written, sung, and orchestrated it is. And her videos are pretty amazing, too. All in all I'm probably not going to buy any of her music, but I'm truly impressed with her as a young artist, and all the more so for her refusal to be exploited by a male-driven music industry that has been manufacturing those "strutting sl*t" acts for so long now that young women think that's what they have to act lie and look like to get into the music business. This girl and her brother just blew that whole corporate pop music strutting sl*t crap right out of the water. She has proven that they have no real control over her or any other young woman that wants to make music. And she has also shown all those manufactured hack pop sensations what a real artist looks and sound like ... a real person

She gives me hope for her generation.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think her singing is all that great.
Not terrible, yet not great either.

She's more of a musical icon for millennials the way I see it.

Twilight Hue

Never heard of her before the grammys but there was just something about her that made me think she is just another manufactured act.
I kind of thought her as the musical equivalent of Ricky Gervais.

A person with mediocre/mid-range talent that was pushed foreward by social media.

I kind of thought her as the musical equivalent of Ricky Gervais.

A person with mediocre/mid-range talent that was pushed foreward by social media.

Ricky Gervais's success had nothing to do with social media though, it was because he wrote The Office. He followed a very conventional route to fame.

Cooky

Veteran Member
So what did you all think of Billie Eilish sweeping the Grammys?

She and her brother Finneas (17 and 21 years old respectively) wrote and produced all their music completely by themselves, and gained their audience through YouTube. No recording contracts, no studios, no promoters, and no tv talent contests. Their concerts generate huge crowds and enthusiasm reminiscent of the Beatles. And what's even more amazing is that their music and videos do not just appeal to teens and pre-teens. They have won fans of all ages and demographics.

They have been labeled the new anti-pop, pop stars.

They’ve been playing Billie on XM53, which is the electronic house version of “everything I wanted”, for a long time... which I like.

PureX

Veteran Member
These two 'kids' were both home schooled and graduated grade 12 by the age of 15. And if you watch this interview video, you're going to have a very hard time maintaining the idea that they aren't incredibly smart, creative, driven, and knowledgeable about what they're doing: that they are just an accident of social media.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

These two 'kids' were both home schooled and graduated grade 12 by the age of 15. And if you watch this interview video, you're going to have a very hard time maintaining the idea that they aren't incredibly smart, creative, driven, and knowledgeable about what they're doing: that they are just an accident of social media.

Well they did make it on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I really like her music. It took me a while to really get into her, but my favorite song by her is Ocean Eyes. Once I heard that I was hooked.

atanu

Premium Member
Yeah. I am an 60 year old Indian. So, there would be a remote possibility of me knowing Billie Eilish or responding about her here. But there is a reason I was strongly drawn to this very young artist.

The Upanishads, commonly referred to as Vedānta (meaning the highest purpose of the Vedas), are ancient Sanskrit texts of spiritual teaching of Hinduism. Upanishads deal with meditation, philosophy, and spiritual knowledge.

The concepts of ultimate reality (Brahman) and Ātman (soul, self) and their being one and the same are the central ideas in all of the Upanishads and the teaching "Know that you are the Ātman" is their focus. Upanishads direct our attention to the ‘Fourth state’ (Turiya) that actually is the non-dual seer running through the three states of waking, dreaming, and sleeping as the ultimate reality, which is of the nature of Truth-Consciousness-Bliss.

In many Upanishads, the preceptor is seen to draw attention of the student to “Where do you go when you sleep?” or “Whence the I arises when you wake up?” in order to point to the aforementioned ‘Fourth’ — the Turiya as the source of the cognising subject itself. The Turiya is unknown to the outgoing mind-senses that function only in scenario of duality. When the mind-senses are drawn in, in the non-dual consciousness (as in deep sleep or in samadhi), the effect is as if we lose consciousness since there is no more any contrast-duality that can be cognised. It is akin to pure unobstructed light appearing as dark.

So, when I came across Billie Eilish’s debut album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go, I was not only mildly surprised but also curious to know whether Billie or her brother Finneas O’Connel had any inkling of the implications for the very deep question they were raising.

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? - Wikipedia

The album’s songs are said to explore themes of modern youth, drug addiction, heartbreak, suicide, and mental health, with lyrical sensibilities of humor and horror. Eilish has reportedly said that the album was inspired in part by lucid dreaming and night terrors, which are reflected on the cover photo. Rolling Stone magazine introduces the album “Rarely has teenage wasteland been rendered so darkly as on the 17-year-old singer’s debut album.”

Following is beginning of the song “Bury a friend”, which can be said to be the theme running through the album.

What do you want from me? Why don't you run from me?
What are you wondering? What do you know?
Why aren't you scared of me? Why do you care for me?
When we all fall asleep, where do we go?

Regarding the song and the album, Billie shared the following in an interview:

When we made “bury a friend,” the whole album clicked in my head. I immediately knew what it was going to be about, what the visuals were going to be, and everything in terms of how I wanted it to be perceived. It inspired what the album is about. “bury a friend” is literally from the perspective of the monster under my bed. If you put yourself in that mindset, what is this creature doing or feeling? I also confess that I’m this monster, because I’m my own worst enemy. I might be the monster under your bed, too.

These are deep mature words for an eighteen year old and they confirm my view that mental age is more often than not equal to physical bodily age. Nevertheless, this disclosure of Billie seems to indicate that she has no inkling yet of the peaceful ‘Fourth’ as the seer of the monster-ego, as taught in Vedanta.

But again, the main question When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go and the other questions noted above may not remain in vain for the singer and her fans. I salute this young singer and wish her well

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm a bit old to be that interested in the 'music of the young' but Bad Guy I liked - can relate to the title if not the sentiment.