• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Maher - Somehow He Just Makes Sense!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is that a targeted lock down is very hard to enforce. Too many people would still visit grandma, especially if she asked. It was harsh. And there was a price to pay. That part was right. But I do not think that there was a reasonable and reliable alternative.

You don't need to convince me. I live in the most locked down city in the world during Covid, and I recently voted to reinstall the same state government.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I just watched the first couple of minutes of four of his videos and in my opinion this guy is awful. :D

Didn't laugh once.

Apparently a lot of people disagree with me though since he has 2.75 million subscribers.

Still, I didn't see any apparent propaganda. I did see him spoofing some of the covid related restrictions, but not in a way that suggested that he disagreed with them.

He disagreed with them and has vocally spoken against lockdowns, vaccines, and other preventive measures. I actually first knew of him because a friend sent me one of his videos where he was dismissing the benefits of lockdowns and arguing they were unnecessary.

I do agree he's awful, both in terms of his "comedy" and his propagation of dangerous falsehoods about the pandemic.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
He disagreed with them and has vocally spoken against lockdowns, vaccines, and other preventive measures. I actually first knew of him because a friend sent me one of his videos where he was dismissing the benefits of lockdowns and arguing they were unnecessary.

I do agree he's awful, both in terms of his "comedy" and his propagation of dangerous falsehoods about the pandemic.
I like him better after hearing that, thanks!

Soandso

Can you give me an example?

And just to be clear, I was saying that in order for something to be obvious it has to be grounded in truth, not in order for something to be funny it has to be grounded in truth.

Well, for an example you could look at any TV comedian like Colbert and Gutfeld and see how their skits are usually aimed at the oponent based on whatever story is trending in the news lately. That doesn't strike me as being rooted in truth to me. It's reactionary, just like any other political pundit on CNN and FOX

If you are looking for examples in stand up comedy, though, I would point to someone like Jim Breuer. Here are his takes on the pandemic

I like especially how at 2:45 he talks about government policy on the pandemic and compares it to the gistapo during nazi Germany. At that time there was a certain group of folks who worked in certain professions that required vaccinations (like hospitals), and they saw the consequences of their refusal on par with how Jewish people were persecuted and marked by the golden star during nazi Germany. THAT is what he is referencing

I think this may sometimes be true of political cartoons, after all it's a lot easier to get away with something like that using something that's the visual equivalent of a sound byte, but I think it would be pretty hard for someone to put together an entire routine based on propaganda and be consistently funny except, as I mentioned, in the most sardonic of ways.

Maybe not an entire routine, but it doesn't have to be an entire routine - it just has to be a consistent theme. There's political pandering in both cartoons and comedy. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, IMO