• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggotry

Maxist

If I were to ask any of you whether or not you are biggots, you would almost certainly answer no. If I were to ask many of you if you hated biggotry, you would almost certainly answer yes. But if you hate biggotry, is that not biggotry in itself?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I openly admit it. I am prejudiced! I hate bigots.:149:

There is a slight difference in my mind. One can hold prejudices, we all do, it is what we DO and how we ACT on those prejudices that determines bigotry.

evearael

I am honest enough to admit I have a lot of hate. I hate rapists... I hate child molesters... I hate child abusers... I think it is more important how you respond to your hatred, than whether or not it exists in you. You should not live your life based on hate. You should not make decisions based on hate. I hate rapists, but I don't search the public lists to cause them harm. Instead, I fight to put them behind bars by trying to support survivors and encouraging them to come forward.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, well, those troublemakers among us would probably answer 'no, we're not bigots'. ;)

My answer is simply that I don't hate bigotry. I extremely dislike the things that cause bigotry, I extremely dislike those that perpetuate hatred for their own personal gain, but I don't hate it. People have a right to their opinions- right up to the point where they try to use it in harmful ways against others.

c0da

You can't stop somebody from hating, its just whether or not they do bad things based on that hatred when probelms arise. A must admit, I severely dislike people who act on such hatred and cause pain.

Fluffy

A fool
You can't stop somebody from hating, its just whether or not they do bad things based on that hatred when probelms arise. A must admit, I severely dislike people who act on such hatred and cause pain.

That is absolutely outstanding.

There are plenty of people who are racist, homophobic etc and who realise they are in error and act accordingly. They may never overcome their feelings but they make damn sure that the disability won't make another miserable. I have a massive amount of respect for people who take this path.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Maxist said:
If I were to ask any of you whether or not you are biggots, you would almost certainly answer no. If I were to ask many of you if you hated biggotry, you would almost certainly answer yes. But if you hate biggotry, is that not biggotry in itself?

I hope I am not a bigot. However, I am not so naive that I would claim I am not prejudiced.

I don't hate bigotry. I just think it holds back humanity.

So does prejudice, for that matter, but people who are merely prejudiced can realize that the prejudice is a problem, and work to get past it.

Bigots think prejudice is ok, so no progress can be made there.